AEPSM... for cadets?

Started by VPI18, September 09, 2010, 01:01:49 AM

VPI18

Since when were cadets allowed to take the AEPSM test online and earn the Yeager award?

DakRadz

Oh.

Yeah, I think that particular test should be controlled moreso... I doubt I'm getting a ribbon out of the test. Not yet, at least.

EDIT:
But, you may see here.
The answer, if not quite a solution

It does say that cadets don't even have access to the test, though. Someone should shoot NHQ AE an email.

flyboy53

So now you know what AEOs call a dirty little secret, all because the way NHQ set up the on-line testing system.

A good thing, no, because it defeats what the cadet is supposed to be learning and achieving as a cadet.

Although the cadet takes and completes the test, however, they are identified and the parent wing is supposed to hold the certificate and award until that cadet turns senior member.

spacecommand

misunderstood the question lol @_@

Why would cadets be taking the AEPSM in the first place?  It is Aerospace Education Program for Senior Members...

Eclipse

Quote from: flyboy1 on September 09, 2010, 02:05:36 AM
Although the cadet takes and completes the test, however, they are identified and the parent wing is supposed to hold the certificate and award until that cadet turns senior member.

Which is somewhat of a challenge considering that you can print the cert online.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on September 09, 2010, 02:25:44 AM
Quote from: flyboy1 on September 09, 2010, 02:05:36 AM

Which is somewhat of a challenge considering that you can print the cert online.

I took it about 2 weeks before my paperwork was processed. Since they aren't numbered, it's not a big deal. There's also no certificate that gets sent out anymore. I kinda miss the old days. :(

spacecommand

Depends on the Wing and if the DAE has any CAPC 20s around.

But I'm wondering why cadets are taking AEPSM in the first place...

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: spacecommand on September 09, 2010, 03:45:22 AM

But I'm wondering why cadets are taking AEPSM in the first place...

I took mine because the next day I was signing the paperwork to transfer to SM status and was dared to take the challange. Originally I believed that cadets were unable to access the test at all. I guess it would also be beneficial as a prep test for those shooting at Spaatz

Short Field

Quote from: spacecommand on September 09, 2010, 03:45:22 AM
No, it does not depend on the Wing.  If you take the AEPSM test and pass it, it is automatically updated in eServices and you can immediately print out your certificate.  If you are saying that some wings have CAPC 20s laying around and have a DAE who is willing to get them filled out and presented to the member - then I applaud your wing and your DAE. 

Our DAE avoided doing any real work in AE for most of that person's tour.  They were a real pro at avoiding preparing any CAPC 20s for the three years I tried to get them for our members.  Finally National put them on-line and I prepared certificates for over 12 members who had passed the AEPSM and could not get certificates.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

spacecommand

I did not mean it depends on the wing if you take the test online and have it automatically ready for printing.  I know that.

Maybe I was misunderstanding something, but one poster was speaking about how it took 2 weeks for their paperwork to get processed, so I assume they took the paper version of the Yeager.   However it appears they took it online.

Any case, if a member decides to take the paper version and pass, the squadron sends a CAPF 126 to the DAE, if the DAE is doing their job properly, he is supposed to issue out a CAPC 20.  Now in reality, it might not work that way,  but that's how it is "supposed" to work by regulations.  I know there are Wings and DAEs are just don't do it for whatever reason, so that's why I was saying "it depends".

As a sidebar when you take Yeager test 1 online (and even though you you can print a copy of the CAPC20) and pass this is what it says:
QuoteNote: Once you pass the test, print the completion certificate and send it to your
wing's Director of Aerospace Education (DAE). The DAE will send the Yeager
Award Certificate (CAPC 20) to your unit commander.
Instructions to DAE: This certificate signifies the successful completion of the
Yeager Online Test. Please send a completed CAPC 20 (Yeager Award Certificate)
to the award recipient's unit commander. Once the CAPC 20 has been sent,
complete a CAPF 127 and send to:
CAP National HQ/LMA
105 South Hansell St.
Maxwell AFB, AL 36112

Even if one followed those procedures, it would "depend" on if the Wing and DAE I guess, if you wanted the big fancy CAPC20 without printing the PDF one yourself.

But I digress any way from the real topic at hand, why are cadets allowed to take AEPSM in the first place, looks like some hole in the system.

Eclipse

Quote from: spacecommand on September 09, 2010, 06:48:32 AM
Any case, if a member decides to take the paper version...

They need to check the calendar...

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Eclipse on September 09, 2010, 02:08:39 PM
Quote from: spacecommand on September 09, 2010, 06:48:32 AM
Any case, if a member decides to take the paper version...

They need to check the calendar...

The paper tests are good for when you're giving a Yeager class to a group and don't have enough computers. At least, that's what I would guess.

I almost considered asking our SQ/TCO to proctor a paper 116 for some cadets after a GES class but I was able to round up enough computers (which reminds me, do they still even distribute a paper 116?).

I don't understand why you're being so harsh on those who don't take the test with a computer, but I respect your personal opinion.

Star-Maker

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on September 09, 2010, 03:27:22 AM
There's also no certificate that gets sent out anymore. I kinda miss the old days. :(

There isn't?  I earned the Yeager in November 2009, and I was sent a certificate (though the certificate didn't show up until two or three months after I passed the test).

Granted, that was several months ago and things could have changed since then, but I wouldn't have thought that 2009 counted as "the old days."
"The star-maker says 'It ain't so bad.'" - The Killers

GTL, GTM1, UDF, MRO

CUL(T), MS(T), MSA(T)

ßτε

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on September 09, 2010, 03:18:36 PM
The paper tests are good for when you're giving a Yeager class to a group and don't have enough computers. At least, that's what I would guess.

I almost considered asking our SQ/TCO to proctor a paper 116 for some cadets after a GES class but I was able to round up enough computers (which reminds me, do they still even distribute a paper 116?).

According to CAP Index 0-9, the CAPT 116 is no longer available in paper form and older versions are obsolete.

Major Lord

Quote from: Star-Maker on September 09, 2010, 03:19:59 PM
There's also no certificate that gets sent out anymore. I kinda miss the old days. :(

There isn't?  I earned the Yeager in November 2009, and I was sent a certificate (though the certificate didn't show up until two or three months after I passed the test).

Granted, that was several months ago and things could have changed since then, but I wouldn't have thought that 2009 counted as "the old days."

I earned my Yeager by doing the paper test, closed book, and got the gold star to show for it. It just took two more years for Wing to actually mail me a certificate.....with incorrect info on it of course. I think I like the paperless approach. It takes a lot of the "oh that guy went to jail and left his files in the shower" problems out of the loop. If cadets want to take the test, whats the downside? they can take all the tests they want, but it won't count.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

lordmonar

Quote from: Major Lord on September 09, 2010, 09:47:32 PM
Quote from: Star-Maker on September 09, 2010, 03:19:59 PM

I earned my Yeager by doing the paper test, closed book, and got the gold star to show for it. It just took two more years for Wing to actually mail me a certificate.....with incorrect info on it of course. I think I like the paperless approach. It takes a lot of the "oh that guy went to jail and left his files in the shower" problems out of the loop. If cadets want to take the test, whats the downside? they can take all the tests they want, but it won't count.

Major Lord

Just like cadets takeing SLS or CLC.....they can do it if there is an open seat....but they will have to redo it when they become senior members.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP