Army 2nd Lt relieved for wearing SEAL patch

Started by vmstan, August 26, 2010, 04:29:13 AM

Stonewall

Quote from: raivo on September 01, 2010, 06:19:41 AMWearing a SEAL badge when you're in the Army is just dumb. Did he seriously think nobody would call him out on that?

I have seen two other Soldiers wearing the SEAL trident in my life, one earned it, the other did not and was booted after 20 years of service.
Serving since 1987.

Hawk200

Quote from: raivo on September 01, 2010, 06:19:41 AMWearing a SEAL badge when you're in the Army is just dumb. Did he seriously think nobody would call him out on that?
Why? If you've earned it, and it's allowed for wear, what's the problem?

Previous skill sets identified in such a manner can be useful to the leadership. "Hey, so-and-so has that badge, we can use them for such-and-such training, they've done it before."

Quote from: Stonewall on September 01, 2010, 12:34:08 PM...the other did not and was booted after 20 years of service.
That is pretty stupid. It's amazing how many people revise their own lives because they aren't happy with who they are now.

DakRadz

Quote from: Hawk200 on September 01, 2010, 02:47:06 PM

Previous skill sets identified in such a manner can be useful to the leadership. "Hey, so-and-so has that badge, we can use them for such-and-such training, they've done it before."

Sir,
I agree with what you said, but-
I took raivo's comment as referring to this specific incident- hence the "Did he seriously think nobody would call him out on that?" comment, because the soldier was wearing it without having earned it.

Going along with what raivo said, he was wearing USN insignia on USA uniform, which I would think would attract more attention simply because it's a different service's elite team.
As always, YMMV.

PHall

Quote from: DakRadz on September 01, 2010, 09:02:49 PM
Quote from: Hawk200 on September 01, 2010, 02:47:06 PM

Sir,
I agree with what you said, but-
I took raivo's comment as referring to this specific incident- hence the "Did he seriously think nobody would call him out on that?" comment, because the soldier was wearing it without having earned it.

Going along with what raivo said, he was wearing USN insignia on USA uniform, which I would think would attract more attention simply because it's a different service's elite team.
As always, YMMV.

People serving in more then one branch of the military is not that rare in the Guard/Reserve. See it all of the time.

Hawk200

Quote from: DakRadz on September 01, 2010, 09:02:49 PMGoing along with what raivo said, he was wearing USN insignia on USA uniform, which I would think would attract more attention simply because it's a different service's elite team.
The level of attention is not what a lot of people might think. So many people get the impression that the attention is to the effect of "Oh my God, that's a Navy badge. No way in Hades you could have gotten that!"

Most of the time, some fancy badge from another service(or even the Army) gets a "You did {Insert Cool Former Job Here}? Get any cool missions?"

I've known a few people in the Guard that have done some fancy stuff. Some folks have badges that "add up" to something fancy, but you don't know what until you've talked to them for a while. Sometimes it can take months to figure it out because they're not boastful about it.

Of course there are posers everywhere,  I've seen those too. The only one I knew of personally was a Tech Sergeant that showed up to our unit (PCS) wearing jump wings and a Purple Heart that were unearned. Some others claim things like "I went to jump and HALO school, but they lost my records so I can't wear them." Those tend to be the ones you just ignore.

There are all kinds of reasons people join the Guard (or Reserve) instead of staying active duty. College, family, better paying job opportunities, or sometimes just burned out from the day to day uniform wear. It can happen. Sometimes, it's a "break", a case of "I'm finishing my degree and getting my commission."

Overall, a fancy badge that seems out of place is not a surefire sign that the person is a poser.

raivo

Yeah, I should've been more clear.

A SEAL badge on an Army guy isn't out of the question, but it's significantly out-of-the-ordinary that I can't believe he didn't think *someone* would notice and check up on it or call him out. I mean... EVERYBODY sees the badges you wear. You always hear about people who make up stories about being in the military, but even they have some degree of control over who they tell their story to; I imagine they'd probably tone it down if they thought they were talking to somebody who had the knowledge to out them as a fake.

Putting it out in the open like that... yeah. Just dumb.

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

JK657

All badges from other services must be authorized in writing by the G-1 prior to being worn on an Army uniform. I see soldiers all the time with badges from the navy, air force, marines, and I just ask them one question: Where is your letter authorizing it? If they don't have it, off it goes.