Army 2nd Lt relieved for wearing SEAL patch

Started by vmstan, August 26, 2010, 04:29:13 AM

vmstan

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2010/08/army-guardsman-wearing-seal-insignia-082110w/

QuoteSecond Lt. Douglas Sofranko, a Florida National Guard officer photographed wearing a Navy SEAL Trident insignia he didn't rate, has been relieved of his full-time duties with the Guard, and his future in the military is uncertain.

Sources told Army Times that Sofranko had been fired from his full-time job under state orders after Army Times informed Guard officials that Sofranko was wearing unauthorized insignia. But a spokesman would confirm only that he was no longer on temporary Guard orders.

Sofranko was a sailor from 1996 to 1999, during which time he attended Basic Underwater Demolition/SEAL training in Coronado, Calif., but did not graduate. He received his commission in the Florida National Guard in August 2009 and, when confronted by Army Times on Aug. 4, admitted occasionally wearing the SEAL Trident on his Army combat uniform. Sources in his unit — 1st Battalion, 124th Infantry — said he also posted a copy of the SEAL Creed on his office wall.

When asked why he did it, he said "No excuse, really. Just poor, poor judgment."

Sofranko, until recently, was on active-duty operational support orders for the Guard.
MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4

BGNightfall

Army 2nd Le relieved for wearing SEAL patch pin

FTFY

Hawk200

Quote from: BGNightfall on August 28, 2010, 01:47:02 AM
Army 2nd Le relieved for wearing SEAL patch pin badge (or even insignia)
If you want to be accurate about it. We don't call them patches or pins in the military.

RiverAux

How this applies to CAP?

1.  The real military every now and again has wannabe issues so how about some of you giving CAP a break  when something like this comes up?  Its not just a CAP thing. 

2.  CAP could learn a thing or two about how to enforce core values from this.  Granted, I think most CAP uniform mistakes are unintentional and that the person making them usually isn't trying to make themselves into something they're not, but if we're going to continue as a paramilitary organization we do have to take uniform issues more seriously than we do (I'm talking about in real CAP life -- obviously we take them verrry seriously here).  But, this may be a moot point as fewer and fewer CAP members ever wear a military style uniform anyway so ribbon and badge issues are going away. 

juicedude10

I personally think we should edit the UCMJ.  To fit CAP standards, but I'm not in CAP yet, and even then, I'd be a cadet, so my opinion wouldn't really matter, right?

JayT

Quote from: juicedude10 on August 28, 2010, 06:25:01 PM
I personally think we should edit the UCMJ.  To fit CAP standards, but I'm not in CAP yet, and even then, I'd be a cadet, so my opinion wouldn't really matter, right?

UCMJ doesn't apply to CAP.....CAP aren't military personal. UCMJ applies to active duty military personnel and some other limited groups.

Your opinions always matter, however, if also must be informed to be taken seriously.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

SarDragon

As long as we are a volunteer organization, implementing any set of rules resembling the UCMJ would be difficult at best. Being in the military involves a contract between the member and the military. CAP has no such contractual obligations.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on August 28, 2010, 03:06:16 AM
How this applies to CAP?

1.  The real military every now and again has wannabe issues so how about some of you giving CAP a break  when something like this comes up?  Its not just a CAP thing.

This specific article does not apply, but since it was posted here, it is at least a lesson.

Sadly, I have been personally involved with CAP members nailed on this exact issue and badge (so has CT).
I continue to be amazed at this phenomenon, especially for people actually in the military or who had successful careers, and doubly so these days when it is so easy to check.

"That Others May Zoom"

vmstan

It started in the general section, MIKE, moved it to uniforms which I wasn't too sure about since it's not a CAP uniform issue. But who am I to argue with a mod?  8)
MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4

Gunner C

Quote from: Hawk200 on August 28, 2010, 02:54:00 AM
Quote from: BGNightfall on August 28, 2010, 01:47:02 AM
Army 2nd Le relieved for wearing SEAL patch pin badge (or even insignia)
If you want to be accurate about it. We don't call them patches or pins in the military.
It's a SEAL Trident.  But you're right - no "pins" in the military.

BGNightfall

I'll agree that by specific regulations, there are no "pins" in the military.  However the Navy uses the term "pin" colloquially to refer to what is properly termed "breast insignia", and more specifically "warfare devices" or "warfare insignia".  In point of fact, it's very rare for a Sailor to refer to his breast insignia as such, and will more often call it a "pin", or on very rare occasions, a "device".  As the insignia in the article is a US Navy "warfare device", the colloquial term "pin" would be accurate.

SarDragon

Quote from: BGNightfall on August 29, 2010, 01:35:03 AM
I'll agree that by specific regulations, there are no "pins" in the military.  However the Navy uses the term "pin" colloquially to refer to what is properly termed "breast insignia", and more specifically "warfare devices" or "warfare insignia".  In point of fact, it's very rare for a Sailor to refer to his breast insignia as such, and will more often call it a "pin", or on very rare occasions, a "device".  As the insignia in the article is a US Navy "warfare device", the colloquial term "pin" would be accurate.

That's interesting. In all my time in and around the Navy, I rarely heard the noun pin used to refer to insignia. Anchors are anchors, wings are wings, dolphins are dolphins, tridents are tridents, etc. The verb pin is used as part of the ceremony awarding various insignia.

I have also asked various other members of my family, and they have similar experiences.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Hawk200

Quote from: SarDragon on August 29, 2010, 03:20:10 AMThat's interesting. In all my time in and around the Navy, I rarely heard the noun pin used to refer to insignia. Anchors are anchors, wings are wings, dolphins are dolphins, tridents are tridents, etc. The verb pin is used as part of the ceremony awarding various insignia.
That's been my experience as well. "Pin" was a verb, never a noun. Anything with pins in it or on it was a result of alterations screwing up and not taking them out before they gave you your stuff.

Flying Pig

Good bye Lt Poser.  The military and your (used-to-be) NCOs will be much better off without you.  Get a psych eval while you at it too.

MSG Mac

Quote from: Flying Pig on August 30, 2010, 02:06:00 AM
Good bye Lt Poser.  The military and your (used-to-be) NCOs will be much better off without you.  Get a psych eval while you at it too.

He wasn't kicked out of the Army, just had his AD orders rescinded. He's still a member of the FLARNG
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

PHall

Quote from: MSG Mac on August 30, 2010, 02:56:22 AM
Quote from: Flying Pig on August 30, 2010, 02:06:00 AM

He wasn't kicked out of the Army, just had his AD orders rescinded. He's still a member of the FLARNG

He's looking at an Article 15, at a minimum. For officers, that's the kiss of death.
He was on a AGR tour which means the UCMJ applies.

FlyTiger77

Quote from: PHall on August 30, 2010, 03:49:02 AMHe was on a AGR tour which means the UCMJ applies.

The UCMJ does apply but, according to the article, he was on an ADOS (active duty-operational support) tour, not an AGR tour.

Bottom line: He was wrong.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

BradM

Is his main error being wearing the Seal insignia on his (official) combat uniform? he wanted to be a Seal but couldnt make it but I am wondering if he still respects (and wants to be a Seal) thats why he has the motto on his wall. That wouldnt be an error too would it that could get him in trouble?
BRAD MELILLO, 1st Lt, CAP
Finance Officer
Asst. Professional Development Officer
Brackett Composite Squadron 64
La Verne, CA

Hawk200

Quote from: BradM on August 31, 2010, 12:00:47 AM
Is his main error being wearing the Seal insignia on his (official) combat uniform? he wanted to be a Seal but couldnt make it but I am wondering if he still respects (and wants to be a Seal) thats why he has the motto on his wall. That wouldnt be an error too would it that could get him in trouble?
His error was wearing an insignia that he did not earn. Whatever he had on his wall about SEALs was most likely to further the idea that he was one.

You can hang whatever you want on your wall, as long as it doesn't make any claim that you were something you're not.

raivo

Quote from: BradM on August 31, 2010, 12:00:47 AMIs his main error being wearing the Seal insignia on his (official) combat uniform?

Indeed. The only items you wear on your uniform are ones you've earned the right to wear.

Wearing a SEAL badge when you're in the Army is just dumb. Did he seriously think nobody would call him out on that?

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."