Main Menu

CAP Challenge Coins

Started by abysmal, April 29, 2005, 01:51:44 AM

usafafreak

yeah good idea do you know anywhere that they can be purchused for around $10? I looked at the other posts a didn't see any. I may have looked them over though.
C/SSgt Johnson
115 Composite Squadron
AR WING

abysmal

$10.00 is what I am paying for them.
2LT Christopher M. Parrett
[red]Deputy Commander of Cadets, Cadet Programs Officer[/red]
London Bridge Composite Squadron 501
SWR-AZ-112,  Lake Havasu City, Arizona

abysmal

Pace

Quote from: usafafreak on May 18, 2005, 08:52:15 PM
I know take back all of my apologys for breeching the protocal, it sounds to me like he likes to hear from the little guys every once in a while, A TRUE LEADER, in my eyes as I'm sure he is in yours too and an all aroung nice guy.

Like I said, Maj Gen Wheless is a very nice guy and is generally not as strict/harsh as many of the corporate officers might be.  He does like to hear from people in the field, so if he doesn't consider it a breach of the chain of command then who am I to second guess the National Commander.  Again, be cautious about this in the future as not all CAP leaders are this nice about e-mails that miss this many loops in the chain (in all seriousness I'm speaking from experience here).  I'm just trying to give you advice that will help you be the best cadet possible.  Your heart is in the right place.  Just tread lightly (everything strictly by the book unless an exception is granted by someone in command) until you have a firm foundation in the program.

I also had no intention of "ratting you out" to the cadet officers in your squadron.  You just made a comment that there were several in your squadron, and I happen to know a few from Arkansas (it's just a 45 minute drive from my house to the Louisiana/Arkansas border) so I thought I would ask.  C/Col Parker does not know me that well; although he is on the Region CAC as the Arkansas representative.  C/Lt Col Walters I do know well.  Next time you see him (which may be awhile if he's still in basic training), please tell him hello for me.

[Anything else about this I believe should be done via PM because we've gone WAY off topic--my fault, not yours]

As for the coins, that website confused me (which apparently is not hard to do).  Is the $10 coin the bronze version?  In any case, I'm glad you got them in.  How do they look in person?

Thanks,
Lt Col, CAP

usafafreak

By the way does the Air Force have another name for challenge coins I mentioned one to a Reservist in an email and he had no idea what I was talking about and he is a Cheif so I'm sure he'd know.
C/SSgt Johnson
115 Composite Squadron
AR WING

Pace

Quote from: usafafreak on May 18, 2005, 10:33:38 PM
By the way does the Air Force have another name for challenge coins I mentioned one to a Reservist in an email and he had no idea what I was talking about and he is a Cheif so I'm sure he'd know.
I've heard them called RMOs (round metal object), but that was only in my former AFROTC detachment.  I've always heard it called a challenge coin by active duty and reserve personnel.
Lt Col, CAP

abysmal

Quote from: dcpacemaker on May 18, 2005, 10:17:02 PM
As for the coins, that website confused me (which apparently is not hard to do).  Is the $10 coin the bronze version?  In any case, I'm glad you got them in.  How do they look in person?

I bought 7 coins.

5 Bronze, 1 silver, 1 gold.

So far as I can tell, they look EXACTLY like they show them on the www site.

Here are photos of EACH of the coins.
http://www.nwtmint.com/GiftShop/CAP/cap.htm

As for me, I am quite happy with what I got.
And I expect all of my cadet officer staff to be very surprised by the presentation Monday night.

The FUN will come when one of them gets cocky and "drops" a coin on another member of the staff and the free drinks start flowing !!

abysmal

Quote from: dcpacemaker on May 18, 2005, 11:01:36 PM
I've heard them called RMOs (round metal object), but that was only in my former AFROTC detachment.  I've always heard it called a challenge coin by active duty and reserve personnel.

SMDs, Solid Metal Disks.

Gold and silver would of course be called.
SPMD, Solid precious metal disks.... ;)

usafafreak

I got a USAF reservist to send me an ubercool coin for NOTHING! haha Life's good.
C/SSgt Johnson
115 Composite Squadron
AR WING

usafafreak

Quote from: abysmal on May 18, 2005, 11:39:07 PM

SMDs, Solid Metal Disks.

SMD's.....
sounds like Senior Members _________ I'm not sure anyone care to fill in the blank haha.
C/SSgt Johnson
115 Composite Squadron
AR WING

Greg

Quote from: usafafreak on May 22, 2005, 01:04:24 AM
Quote from: abysmal on May 18, 2005, 11:39:07 PM

SMDs, Solid Metal Disks.

SMD's.....
sounds like Senior Members _________ I'm not sure anyone care to fill in the blank haha.

Senior Members' Donuts.
C/Maj Greg(ory) Boyajian, CAP
Air Victory Museum Composite Squadron

usafafreak

I thought of one:

Senior Member's Drinks

(Hey it gets them one doesn't it, ok maybe they are the one's paying for it but yeah..)
C/SSgt Johnson
115 Composite Squadron
AR WING

abysmal

Quote from: Greg on May 22, 2005, 02:58:22 PM
Senior Members' Donuts.

I hate to have to admitt it.
But having just gotten back from SLS, I must report there were boxes of donuts in the classroom.
Sigh....

Greg

Quote from: usafafreak on May 22, 2005, 01:02:48 AM
I got a USAF reservist to send me an ubercool coin for NOTHING! haha Life's good.

I don't get how receiving a coin for doing nothing is "cool".
C/Maj Greg(ory) Boyajian, CAP
Air Victory Museum Composite Squadron

Pylon

Last night I was at a squadron awards banquet to present the award for Group Cadet Airman of the Quarter, and the Wing Commander of the 174th Fighter Wing, NYANG passed the cadet his commander's coin in a handshake.  Very cool.    That's gotta be one happy Cadet NCO.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

abysmal

On Monday night I passed out 4 Bronze coins to my cadet officers with the challenge that if any of them makes C/Major i will trade in teh coin for Silver one, and should one of them press on and make full C/Col i will exchange the silver for the Gold version.

Each of them also accepted the coin challenge and understands that if they are caught, AT ANY TIME WHATSOEVER from this point forward without the coin on them, that they are buying. And that if they ever refuse to buy, they forfeit the coin back to me.

Should be fun over the next few months...

Pylon

Quote from: abysmal on May 26, 2005, 03:58:15 AM
On Monday night I passed out 4 Bronze coins to my cadet officers with the challenge that if any of them makes C/Major i will trade in teh coin for Silver one, and should one of them press on and make full C/Col i will exchange the silver for the Gold version.

Each of them also accepted the coin challenge and understands that if they are caught, AT ANY TIME WHATSOEVER from this point forward without the coin on them, that they are buying. And that if they ever refuse to buy, they forfeit the coin back to me.

Sounds like a fun motivator.

What are they buying?  Root beer floats?  ;)

abysmal

Exactly.
Anything that we keep in teh squadron refrigerator out in the hanger is fair game...

Skyray

Quote from: abysmal on May 26, 2005, 03:58:15 AM

OK, that's a true challenge coin the way I understand it.  I hate to come on like an old salt, but the challenge coin is a pretty new thing in the grand scheme of things.  First one I ever ran into was in Daytona beach about ten years ago.  I was up there learning how to pick up airplane crashes, and in the same hotel was a state wide police academy teachers convention.  Got to talking to one of them named Fred, and we started talking about jumping out of airplanes.  Fred was a Special Forces veteran, and after a little, he reached in his pocket and pulled out the challenge coin they give you at Benning when you finish jump school.  Got one of these? says he.  After he explained what it was, I told him I had six of them--Six?  how'd you get six?  Took 'em off guys that couldn't defend 'em, Fred.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

Pylon

Quote from: Skyray
After he explained what it was, I told him I had six of them--Six?  how'd you get six?  Took 'em off guys that couldn't defend 'em, Fred.

Sure.  Either you capture them from those less diligent about the coins, or you hang around with a bunch of guys with stars.   :D   Either way, you're sure to get some coins, especially when either group has been drinking.   ;D