Encampment Squadron CC

Started by C/1st Lt. Stewart, July 25, 2006, 02:16:09 AM

C/1st Lt. Stewart

What are the duties of a cadet squadron cc at an encampment?
C/1st Lt. Stewart
Cadet Deputy Commander
Honor Guard Commander
Paducah Composite Squadron

MIKE

Mike Johnston

Briski

Okay, I know this is a pretty big bump, I figured I might as well post now as six months from now when someone else comes along and bumps it. :)

Everyone knows that the Cadet Executive Staff is in the spotlight a lot, and a nice percentage of people who have BTDT will say that the Flt CCs and Flt Sgts are the most influential people at an encampment.  Squadron Staff seem to be the forgotten ones. I regret that I never had the privilege to serve as a Sq CC at an encampment, because it's a huge pivot point in the organizational structure.

You stand between the strategical leaders at the top who are trying to see the big picture and set policies, goals and expectations, and the tactical leaders who are on the ground executing those policies and fulfilling those goals. Basically, you are the critical link between the powers-that-be who are trying to see the big picture, and all the little details that make up the big picture. The is a critically important role to fill.

The first thing you need to understand is that you set the entire tone and direction for your squadron. Your staff will bring certain dynamics to the group, but they'll take their cues from you, and it begins with the very first contact you have with them.  They'll be watching you and based on those first impressions, they will consciously or subconsciously conclude that "so this is the way it's gonna be in our squadron."

As a Sq CC, you don't just represent the C/CC to your squadron; you ARE the C/CC to your squadron. You need to be well versed in the C/CC's goals for the week. The C/CC can't be everywhere at once, which is why we have subordinate leaders. When the C/CC isn't around or is too busy to make decisions within your squadron, you will make those decisions working on his/her authority that has been delegated to you. In order to understand why things are the way they are, you need to ask questions and try to think like the C/CC does.

Don't forget to use your staff!  If this is your first time being a Sq CC at an encampment (and you come from a small squadron), then it's probably your first time really working with subordinate leaders in a situation where you need to rely on them because you really can't do everything yourself. Here are some key things to remember about your staff:

1. You're responsible for their welfare just as much as you are that of the Basics entrusted to your command.
2. Encampment is a training environment, more so for the staff than for the Basics. You are directly responsible for the leadership training and development of the staff entrusted to your command.
3. It's probably their first time serving in whatever position they have been assigned to. This means that they will need to be mentored and supervised. Be patient.
4. Just as you represent the C/CC to them, they represent you to the Basics.

Unless there's some kind of emergency or safety issue, you should never do their jobs for them (discussions regarding the evils of micromanagement will be held for another time). But you need to remember that one of the primary responsibilities of squadron staff is to be easily accessible to the flight staff. You need to be watching the flights for several reasons, not least of which include making sure nobody dies or gets hazed, making sure the flight staff teaches things properly and IAW regulations, and being there in case the flight staff need advice on how to handle a given situation within their flights.

Being accessible is not the same as micromanagement. Being around and accessible is your job; doing their jobs for them is not.

I once saw a Sq CC who chose to do squadron level drill wherever the squadron went. By doing this, he robbed his staff of valuable learning opportunities and leadership experiences. The Flt Sgts should have been drilling their flights. It was obvious that he didn't trust his Flt Sgts to do their jobs by calling commands, his Flt CCs to do their jobs by supervising and training the Flt Sgts, or his Sq XO to work with and mentor the Flt CCs to help them get the job done. It was a bad situation all around.

In a nutshell, the quality of training for all of the cadets in your squadron rises and falls on your ability to lead them. No pressure or anything. :)
JACKIE M. BRISKI, Capt, CAP
VAWG Cadet Programs Team

...not all those who wander are lost...