Johnson Flight Encampment 2008

Started by Cmdbuddy, May 31, 2008, 10:27:52 PM

flyguy06

I've never heard of this activity but it sounds interesting

caprr275

the ground instructor for powered was the best this year.

there are pics from Johnson Flight Academy (aka JFE) on the Facebook group if anyone is intrested in seeing them

ol'fido

I attended flight encampment in 1981 when it was under the command of COL Mel "Kaiser Mel" Kristman. Babe Hilliard was there in gliders as usual. I got to work with Babe a lot at missions down in Southern Illinois. One time we were on an air-ground coordiantion sortie and our ground team was having trouble figuring out what Babe wanted us to do. After about ten minutes of scratching heads  and shrugging shoulders, we saw Babe coming in really low. Then we heard the engine go real quiet, the plane slowed way down, the pilot's side window came open, and Babe yelled "turn left!". The window closed, the engine roared, and off went Babe. I really miss him and would have flown with him anytime.

I don't remember Wally being there in 81 but I got to work with him on the Illinois Wing teams at GLR  SARCOMP in 86,87, and 88. He was as good as they come.

One other person I remember was LTCol Lohlamandier(Guessing on the right spelling). He was there in 81 and still there in as late as the late 90's. And he was still wearing the same tan cap with the ES dog patch on it when I saw again after nearly 20 years.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

payton

I've got several freinds who attend and staff (Lt. Col. McEntire) and i might go in a year or two.