Encampment First Sergeant

Started by Lee1432, November 22, 2012, 09:43:53 PM

Lee1432

I am fairly new to Civil Air Patrol, ( only ranking a C/SrA ) and I finished my first encampment as a basic this passed summer. I would like to be a first sergeant summer encampment or fall CTW next year. I talked to some people and they told me first sergeants needed flight sergeant training. If i become a flight sergeant next CTW, do you think I would have a shot at first sergeant summer encampment. If not, what would I need to do to make my staff application and resume look better?

Garibaldi

Well you have an entire year in which to progress through the ranks and positions. Give it your best shot at your home unit and build your resume. By that I mean show some initiative, act a little mature, show you're serious about CAP and the program. Ask questions of your NCOs and don't ever be afraid to let your intentions be known. If you want to be first sergeant, let someone know and they will help you along. Do as much as your schedule allows you to do, which is part of your oath: "participate actively in unit activities". But don't expect it to be handed to you. You have to work for it.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Brad

Anyone can theoretically do anything. Without listing your leadership experience, training, mannerisms / character, etc., we can't really offer you a straight answer. As the Major said though, the more you put in the more you will get out.

And no, you can't go straight from basic encampment to staff. You have to go through a "transition" encampment year where you are taught how to be a staff member. It's usually called STF (Staff Training Flight) or something similar.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

Dad2-4

Quote from: Brad on November 22, 2012, 10:57:54 PM
....And no, you can't go straight from basic encampment to staff. You have to go through a "transition" encampment year where you are taught how to be a staff member. It's usually called STF (Staff Training Flight) or something similar.
That depends on the wing. I've seen many cadets go to basic one summer then come back the next summer  as flight sgts, flight commanders, C/PAO, communications, etc. This may be particularly possible if a cadet attends their first encampment as a senior C/NCO.

Brad

Quote from: Dad2-4 on November 22, 2012, 11:12:24 PM
....And no, you can't go straight from basic encampment to staff. You have to go through a "transition" encampment year where you are taught how to be a staff member. It's usually called STF (Staff Training Flight) or something similar.
That depends on the wing. I've seen many cadets go to basic one summer then come back the next summer  as flight sgts, flight commanders, C/PAO, communications, etc. This may be particularly possible if a cadet attends their first encampment as a senior C/NCO.

I could have sworn I put a "usually" disclaimer in there, heh.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

arajca

Quote from: Brad on November 22, 2012, 11:25:54 PM
Quote from: Dad2-4 on November 22, 2012, 11:12:24 PM

I could have sworn I put a "usually" disclaimer in there, heh.
You did, but that only applies to the flight name (STF). The bold portion is what varies from wing to wing. From what I've seen, a transition encampment year is the exception, not the rule. It is more common to have staff report a few days earlier for staff training.

Eclipse

The entirety of the answer depends on the encampment.

Check with the specific activity as to the requirements.  Either it's reasonable to make them on your timeline or it isn't.

First shirts tend to be Chiefs with several encampments under their belt.

"That Others May Zoom"

Lee1432

Thanks for all the information. If I'm not able to get first sergeant, is their any other staff position that does somewhat of what the first shirts do?

Eclipse

Quote from: Lee1432 on December 08, 2012, 12:43:37 AM
Thanks for all the information. If I'm not able to get first sergeant, is their any other staff position that does somewhat of what the first shirts do?

Again, what the 1st Sgt does varies a lot from activity to activity, but as a general answer, no. It is unique in the
structure in that its generally the only NCO on the command staff.

Your best bet is to consult with either the encampment commandant, or cadets who have been to the specific encampment
and ask them about various duties and role.  As a 2-timer, you're likely to be considered primarily for either line staff or support roles.

"That Others May Zoom"

dholt

I would suggest getting a first sergeant at a CTW or at least a sergeant. If you do get one of those it looks really good on your resume also if you have a leadership position at your home squadron that helps a lot as well. Try to get some ES stuff done as well. All of this will HELP you get first sergeant at encampment.

Майор Хаткевич

What does ES have to do with a leadership position at encampment?

dholt

Because the more stuff you have on the resume the better it looks. It also show that your are actively participating in C.A.P.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Leader and Follower on December 11, 2012, 08:23:23 PM
Because the more stuff you have on the resume the better it looks. It also show that your are actively participating in C.A.P.

Relevant Line Items look good.

Eclipse

Quote from: usafaux2004 on December 11, 2012, 08:35:27 PM
Quote from: Leader and Follower on December 11, 2012, 08:23:23 PM

Relevant Line Items look good.

+1 - No one cares you got 10,000,000 points on Space Munchies or were "Hall Monitor of the Year" in 3rd grade.

"That Others May Zoom"

dholt

By the way what rank are you?
Me i'm a C/SMSgt

Cool Mace

Uh oh... I see this going one of two ways. Let's just hope I'm wrong.  :P
CAP is what you make of it. If you don't put anything in to it, you won't get anything out of it.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.
The cookies and donuts were a lie.

dholt

Keep the comments respectable. Understand me.
Eclipse

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Cool Mace

CAP is what you make of it. If you don't put anything in to it, you won't get anything out of it.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.
The cookies and donuts were a lie.

Extremepredjudice

I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Larry Mangum

Quote from: Leader and Follower on December 11, 2012, 08:58:03 PM
Keep the comments respectable. Understand me.
Eclipse

You do realize the Eclisps is a senior memebr and a Lt Col. He is a well respected memebr of CAP, and it would behoove you to check your fire and not be so quick to fire down range, before verifying the range is clear.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

Майор Хаткевич

Maybe he could learn CAPR 39-3 and put that on his CAP resume...

stillamarine

Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com