Earliest encampments

Started by cadetesman, March 27, 2012, 11:13:02 PM

cadetesman

Could anyone give me a list of the 5 earliest summer encampments for 2012?

My squadron has a requirement that cadets STAFF an encampment before getting to C/MSgt, so I want to get this done as soon as possible, so I don't have a huge delay in promotions.

Thanks!

Eclipse

ILWG Spring is in April.

http://encampment.group22.net

As mentioned in other threads, your Commander is not allowed to require an encampment, or any other objective criteria outside the regs.

"That Others May Zoom"

Pylon

Your squadron can't require that.  By regulation, the requirements for each promotion are laid out in CAPR 52-16, Section 5.  Staffing an encampment is not a requirement for any promotion. 

In addition, if a squadron chooses to use promotion review boards, they are required to use CAPF 50 as the basis for their evaluation per CAPR 52-16, Section 5-2d..  CAPF 50 evaluates cadets against demonstrated leadership traits appropriate for and listed by CAP for their phase.  Nowhere does serving on staff appear as a requirement in these forms or leadership traits, therefore a properly executed CAPF 50-based promotion review board could not use failure to serve on encampment staff as a reason to retain in grade.

Furthermore, according to CAPR 52-16 Section 5-2e., the only way they can prevent you from promoting to C/MSgt and beyond once you've completed all of the actual national requirements for promotion, is to evaluate you on the CAPF 50 which I just mentioned.  They have to base their decision on the CAPF 50 evaluation which does not support failure to serve on an encampment staff as a metric of leadership ability. 

If you've completed all the requirements for C/MSgt and your unit does not promote you, you are absolutely entitled to request the CAPF 50 review from your unit.  They have to evaluate you against the Phase II leadership traits on the CAPF 50-2, provide you a copy, and re-evaluate you for promotion no later than 60 days from then.  They have absolutely no wiggle room on this.   

If they fail to promote you and do not give you a CAPF 50 review, you can contact the Group Commander or the Inspector General (IG) and cite the CAPR 52-16 Section 5-2 regulation as demonstration that your unit's cadet program is breaking national regulations to do their own thing and unfairly and illegally retaining you (and probably other cadets) in their grade.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

cadetesman

Yes, but couldn't my commander just state that it's within squadron expectations of leadership?

I'm just worried that using the regs in my favor would anger my commander, and make me essentially shunned within the squadron, e.g., passed up on staff positions and the like.

It's just a very awkward situation when a cadet uses regs, regardless of validity, against the squadron commander...

cadetesman

And also, couldn't the commander just say that encampment staff = participate actively?

It's just such an awkward situation, like I said.

Thank you all, for your help!

Eclipse

Quote from: cadetesman on March 27, 2012, 11:53:36 PM
And also, couldn't the commander just say that encampment staff = participate actively?

A CC could say just about anything, however whether or not it sustained a complaint, or even a direct discussion, is another matter.

One of my former commanders has an encampment hosted essentially at and by a local unit, and he's had issues with participation.
If anyone could make the case that an encampment is "required", he could, and even that wouldn't be cricket.

The regs are clear, an encampment is not required for anything other than Mitchell, and if you're at the point where you
could be on staff, you've already fulfilled that requirement.  One of the reasons that you can't add a requirement like this is
that an encampment staff selections are made subjectively outside the authority of any unit CC, which means that
timing, circumstance, and other factors could artificially and unfairly limit an otherwise wholly qualified cadet from ever progressing.

"Active participation" in this context generally means at the squadron level - meetings, training, weekend activities, etc.

Assuming he would draw a line on this, I can't imagine this would ever need a complaint - as soon as the Group or wing CC got wind of it, that
would the end of the conversation.

As Pylon said, any cadet denied a promotion has to be informed, in writing, why, and provided a remediation plan.  "Hasn't staffed an encampment" would never fly in writing, and "does not participate actively" wouldn't work either if you're going to meetings, etc., since he'd then have to indicate
"must staff an encampment" in the remediation plan, which would then also not fly.

Further, there are specific time prescriptions on these plans, and were there not an encampment within the frame of the remediation plan, then it would be an unreasonable expectation.

Bottom line, while probably well intentioned, it's against regs and and not allowed, no matter how it is characterized.

"That Others May Zoom"

Pylon

I understand your concern.  I would be weary of consequences in your shoes as well.

A couple of points.  The promotion requirement for active participation (which is in the regulations at CAPR 52-16, Section 5-10f. for your phase) simply refers to CAPR 52-16 Section 4-4a. which states that "Cadets are required to participate actively in their local unit if they are to progress in the Cadet Program."    The activity requirement cannot not extend to activities beyond the local unit.

Also, as Eclipse noted, they are required to give you this specific CAPF 50 review and required to follow-up on it within 60 days or less to see if you've made the required progress.  They can't expect you to make an encampment in 60 days, and as long as you showed active participation in that window, they wouldn't have any documentable grounds to withhold your grade.

The leadership expectations that cadets are to be evaluated against are also set by national for each phase, per CAPR 52-16 Section 5-2c.  They are contained in CAPVA 52-100.     The leadership expectations for a Phase II cadet are pretty specific:

• Maintains a positive attitude and encourages good attitudes in others; does not flaunt rank or authority
  • Displays a commitment to the Core Values; promotes team spirit, professionalism, and good sportsmanship as a team leader
  • Proficient in informal public speaking (i.e., in giving directions to and training junior cadets)
  • Enforces standards; trustworthy in supervising a small team and leading them in fulfillment of a series of simple tasks; given a plan, is able to carry it out
  • Guides and coaches junior cadets; recognizes when junior cadets need help; leads by example; is not a "boss"   
I don't see how any of those leadership expectations could be gerrymandered into meaning required encampment staff service.  As long as you meet these leadership expectations and all the requirements for promotion, you must be promoted.  However, your concerns about making yourself unpopular with the squadron powers-that-be are understandable (especially in a unit that doesn't understand regulations). I would suggest that you consider an anonymous IG report.  CAP specifically has anonymous IG reporting mechanisms for this reason.  You can contact the Wing IG, ask not to be named or identified in the investigation, and tell that that your unit is breaking regulations and specifically which ones.  The more details you can give them the better they can assist the commander in bringing the squadron into compliance.

cadetesman

Thank you, to all of you.

I have had a direct discussion, and my commander has stated that "it would enhance my leadership ability"

I did not go any further, due to the fact that I didn't want to aggravate the situation.

In this context, I believe that the anonymous IG report will be the best course of action.

Thank you

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: Eclipse on March 27, 2012, 11:22:36 PM
ILWG Spring is in April.

http://encampment.group22.net

As mentioned in other threads, your Commander is not allowed to require an encampment, or any other objective criteria outside the regs.
Aren't you commander? (eclipse)
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Eclipse

Was.

Moved on after last year.  Really missing it, but thankfully new CAP job keeping my attention elsewhere, otherwise I'd be regretting it more.  Still involved, but want to give the new guy his space.

"That Others May Zoom"

whatevah

Gotta say, that's a pretty odd requirement.  They either want you to magically attend your basic encampment and staff a second in the same year, or take 2 years just to reach C/MSgt.  Ideally you should be at C/MSgt a year after getting your membership card (hard to do, but possible). At 2 years you should be starting in the cadet officer grades. You'll need to attend basic encampment to get the Mitchell, but that's it.  See if anybody in your unit has a copy of the "Cadet Super Chart", it's a cool chart that's actually kinda helpful for showing how cadets should be advancing and performing in an ideal squadron (ie, one with a enough seniors to manage the unit and enough cadet membership for it to prosper).   Here's a link.. http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/Cadet_Super_Chart_94732A5667D92_C5995ABD1FAC3.pdf
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: whatevah on March 28, 2012, 01:27:35 AM
Gotta say, that's a pretty odd requirement.  They either want you to magically attend your basic encampment and staff a second in the same year, or take 2 years just to reach C/MSgt. 
FLWG (his wing) has 2 encampments a year, plus he could go to ALWG or GAWG encampments. (though he shouldn't have to. It'd be a waste of money to do this at the whim of a commander that, obviously, needs to review the regs.)

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

EMT-83

Quote from: cadetesman on March 28, 2012, 12:30:05 AM

I have had a direct discussion, and my commander has stated that "it would enhance my leadership ability"

I did not go any further, due to the fact that I didn't want to aggravate the situation.

In this context, I believe that the anonymous IG report will be the best course of action.

Thank you

Let's see, you had a conversation with your commander on this topic. Suddenly, an anonymous IG complaint is made. You really think that he won't make the connection? Perhaps that might aggravate the situation?

Is it just me, or has everyone lost the ability to solve their own problems without filing some type of official complaint?

Eclipse

I think a call to the next higher HQ is all that would be required.

"That Others May Zoom"

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: EMT-83 on March 28, 2012, 01:52:21 AM
Quote from: cadetesman on March 28, 2012, 12:30:05 AM

Thank you

Let's see, you had a conversation with your commander on this topic. Suddenly, an anonymous IG complaint is made. You really think that he won't make the connection? Perhaps that might aggravate the situation?

Is it just me, or has everyone lost the ability to solve their own problems without filing some type of official complaint?
There IS a whistle blower policy...

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

abdsp51

There is also a Chain of Command that can be utilized as well.  Which should be the first option if direct engagement does not work.

exFlight Officer

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on March 28, 2012, 01:40:15 AM
Quote from: whatevah on March 28, 2012, 01:27:35 AM
Gotta say, that's a pretty odd requirement.  They either want you to magically attend your basic encampment and staff a second in the same year, or take 2 years just to reach C/MSgt. 
FLWG (his wing) has 2 encampments a year, plus he could go to ALWG or GAWG encampments. (though he shouldn't have to. It'd be a waste of money to do this at the whim of a commander that, obviously, needs to review the regs.)

Not to disrupt the current conversation, but, to answer his question:
GAWG may not be the earliest but the 2012 GAWG Encampment is scheduled for the week of 3-9 June at the Marine Corps Logistics Base in Albany, GA (Just about an hour and a half over the GA-FL boarder).  http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=15015.0   
Feel free to PM me with any questions.   

Nathan

It seems a little weird to require an encampment for C/MSgt, since it's already required for the Mitchell. It's kind of like requiring someone to pass the Wright Brothers test to get the Curry.
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

Pylon

Quote from: Nathan on March 28, 2012, 06:56:19 PM
It seems a little weird to require an encampment for C/MSgt, since it's already required for the Mitchell. It's kind of like requiring someone to pass the Wright Brothers test to get the Curry.

Read again, it's even worse.  They require encampment staff experience for C/MSgt, whereas per National even the Mitchell only requires encampment attendance.

Phil Hirons, Jr.

RI Wing Encampment is 15 to 20 April