Main Menu

Hawk Mountain

Started by Supply SGT, March 07, 2012, 02:02:07 PM

Supply SGT

What is Hawk Mountain Ranger School like? Since i can not go to NBB, i have been looking into this:)

Extremepredjudice

Application time passed.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

jeders

I hate to say it, but the application deadline for all NCSAs passed in January.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

FlyTiger77

It looks as if your best bet is to attend your encampment this summer and get with your leadership to position yourself to accomplish your goals for NCSAs next year.

Here are some websites you may want to peruse between now and the fall:

NCSAs: http://ncsas.com/
Hawk Mountain: http://www.pawingcap.com/hawk/
Hawk Mountain Information on CAP KB: http://capnhq.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1060/kw/hawk%20mountain

I am somewhat dismayed that your leadership did not keep you posted as to the application deadlines for NCSAs. They are fairly well publicized.

I hope this helps.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: jeders on March 07, 2012, 02:23:58 PM
I think NESA might still be open...
NESA is still open, Nesa.cap.gov.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

jeders

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on March 07, 2012, 02:56:15 PM
Quote from: jeders on March 07, 2012, 02:23:58 PM
I think NESA might still be open...
I believe you are correct.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

davidsinn

Quote from: FlyTiger77 on March 07, 2012, 02:31:08 PM
They are fairly well publicized.
Yes they are.
I am somewhat dismayed that your leadership did not keep you posted as to the application deadlines for NCSAs.

I wish cadets would take more responsibility for their own careers. Why should the leadership be responsible for spoon feeding the info when every cadet should have an eServices account?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

EMT-83

It's not just cadets that expect to be spoon fed.

FlyTiger77

Quote from: EMT-83 on March 07, 2012, 03:20:50 PM

I don't disagree, but I also don't think making an announcement 8 weeks out and 4 weeks out is spoonfeeding.

Additionally, if you expect cadets (and many adults) to be totally proactive and self-sufficient, then I would imagine you live a very frustrated life.

Eclipse

There are a lot of commanders who have no interest whatsoever in encouraging attendance in outside activities.

"That Others May Zoom"

FlyTiger77

Quote from: Eclipse on March 07, 2012, 03:28:56 PM
There are a lot of commanders who have no interest whatsoever in encouraging attendance in outside activities.

That is unfortunate.

davidsinn

Quote from: FlyTiger77 on March 07, 2012, 03:26:49 PM

I don't disagree, but I also don't think making an announcement 8 weeks out and 4 weeks out is spoonfeeding.

Additionally, if you expect cadets (and many adults) to be totally proactive and self-sufficient, then I would imagine you live a very frustrated life.

I do. I also get pissed off when I make announcements and then get complaints when they miss the deadline because they didn't write it down.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

FlyTiger77

Quote from: davidsinn on March 07, 2012, 03:46:24 PM
Quote from: FlyTiger77 on March 07, 2012, 03:26:49 PM

I do. I also get pissed off when I make announcements and then get complaints when they miss the deadline because they didn't write it down.

I wouldn't even get upset then. I would just tell them, "Too bad, so sad." After the announcements are made, the onus is on them.

At that point, I agree with you.  Treat them as adults and expect them to act that way.

In the case here, though, the cadet seems to be totally out of the loop.

Thrashed

You can still go to Hawk. They will take you if you show up with the proper paperwork on the first day. Just contact them now. Tell them you want to go. Send in the paperwork. No interview needed. Go to their website.
Make sure you bring your SQTR's and get them signed as you train. Bring tick spray. I call it "Tick Mountain".

Save the triangle thingy

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: Thrashed on March 07, 2012, 04:02:35 PM
You can still go to Hawk. They will take you if you show up with the proper paperwork on the first day. Just contact them now. Tell them you want to go. Send in the paperwork. No interview needed. Go to their website.
Make sure you bring your SQTR's and get them signed as you train. Bring tick spray. I call it "Tick Mountain".
WHAAAT? seriously? cite please  :o

They'd be swarming with people then...

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

lordmonar

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on March 07, 2012, 06:11:22 PM

They get a lot of people drop out between now and then.

I don't think Thrashed meant that you could just show up cold.....but that you can apply right up the the start date.

For the OP.....you are a little behind the curve....but apply anyways if you want to.  If you don't get a slot....try for NESA....they have just opened the applications and also take people right up to the last minute.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Supply SGT

Its not that im totaly out of the loop, its that i recently joined C.A.P. to help me with my leadership and military bearing because next summer i leave for Marine Corps bootcamp. Im not making excuses, im just saying that not all squadrons announce when the NCSA deadlines are.

FlyTiger77

Quote from: Supply SGT on March 07, 2012, 08:54:27 PM
Im not making excuses, im just saying that not all squadrons announce when the NCSA deadlines are.

Ok, I will revise my comment: It seems like the cadet is totally mostly out of the loop.

NCRblues

10 : 1 odds say that the kid has a Facebook... So if he has that, im sure he can find NCSA . com and take a look for himself...

Reminding cadets once should be enough. Tell them the web site, or tell them to Google it.

You might have to remind SM's a little more  >:D
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

sarmed1

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on March 07, 2012, 06:11:22 PM

They usually accept people up until about the end of June; after that there usually has to be some extenuating circumstances.  You must have all your appropriate signatures; show up without a wing commander signature and you will go home that day (no matter when you applied).  Some wings will require you to apply within their NCSA guidelines no matter that the activity (HMRS or NESA for that matter) accepts application up until the start of the school......there is nothing the activity can do about that.

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

lordmonar

Quote from: Supply SGT on March 07, 2012, 08:54:27 PM
Its not that im totaly out of the loop, its that i recently joined C.A.P. to help me with my leadership and military bearing because next summer i leave for Marine Corps bootcamp. Im not making excuses, im just saying that not all squadrons announce when the NCSA deadlines are.
Well in your case....you are not eligible for most of the NCSA's anyway.  You need to focus on getting your encampment done.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

CamoMan

Quick question after we send in the supplemental application how long until we get notified if we were accepted?