PJOC and Blue Beret living conditions

Started by ifresh21, January 09, 2012, 06:22:22 PM

ifresh21

Hi,

I am interested/curious about these two activities (mostly PJOC).  I wear contacts so usually I would put them in in the morning and I need a (fairly) clean bathroom to do this.  I've been to encampment and SUPTFC and everything worked out.   Would I be able to do the same every day (or most days) at PJOC?

Or do you sleep outside all week at PJOC?   (if so, just curious how they #2)

Do you get to shower everynight?

Thanks a lot in advance!

MIKE

I think it would be on your best interest to wear glasses in this sort of training environment.
Mike Johnston

PA Guy

If for some reason you can't wear glasses I would think about Blue Beret.  The majority of PJOC is conducted in the field without the benefit of barracks or showers unless it rains or you fall in a stream, think field hygiene and washing face, pits and crotch, hopefully in that order.

RickFranz

Never been to PJOC, however; I've been to 6 NBB activities.  You would be fine with contacts at NBB.  It is not the Hilton Inn but you can make do for a couple of weeks there.
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

PA Guy

Just as a matter of course you should probably take a pair of glasses to any activity away from home.  If for some reason you can't wear your contacts what is your Plan B?

shlebz

i have not been to NBB, however, i have stayed at the NBB complex for a weekend activity and they do have showers/bathrooms etc. It's a very nice complex, Just watch out on how much water you use  ;)
C/1stLt Shelby Heberling
Mitchell #59813

onetimeoneplace

I regretted not bringing my contacts to NBB, because there was ample time in the morning to put them in, as well as a clean bathroom.
C/Capt Isaac McDermott, CAP
PAWG Basic Encampment 2009, Staff 2011 (PAO), Staff 2013 (Inspections)
Pennsylvania Wing
Tri-Wing Encampment Staff 2013 (Public Affairs OIC)
GTM3, UDF, MRO, FLM
NJWG RCLS 2010
Mitchell #60963
National Blue Beret 2010 + 2012, SUPTFC-MS 2012
Earhart #15947
Cadet Officer School 2013

ifresh21

Wow!  Thanks for the quick responses guys.  Ok I will take a second look at NBB.  If the airshow is only one weekend, what do you do for the rest of the time (I have to research).

Just out of curiosity, how does everyone stay clean when they have to take a #2 and wipe their bottom and they can't wash their hands?   And then im sure people have to eat and touch things.  How is proper hygiene ensured during an entire week with no hand washing for all those people?  I'm sure hand sanitizer isn't part of standard gear either.

It's an honest question and im just curious.  I am interested in PJOC to challenge myself(Ive never done too much SAR cuz of field hygenie lol), but I don't want to do something ridiculous haha. 

And is it really a full week with no shower?

onetimeoneplace

Quote from: ifresh21 on January 09, 2012, 08:26:50 PM
Wow!  Thanks for the quick responses guys.  Ok I will take a second look at NBB.  If the airshow is only one weekend, what do you do for the rest of the time (I have to research).

Just out of curiosity, how does everyone stay clean when they have to take a #2 and wipe their bottom and they can't wash their hands?   And then im sure people have to eat and touch things.  How is proper hygiene ensured during an entire week with no hand washing for all those people?  I'm sure hand sanitizer isn't part of standard gear either.

It's an honest question and im just curious.  I am interested in PJOC to challenge myself(Ive never done too much SAR cuz of field hygenie lol), but I don't want to do something ridiculous haha. 

1. The airshow is the whole second week of the activity. You spend the first week preparing, getting briefed, getting lessons, etc. The next week, each flight (there were 12 when I went) rotated through different spots working the airshow.
2. There is a "normal" bathroom at the NBB compound, complete with flush toilets, sinks, hot showers, and laundry machines. Outside of the compound, there are a lot of porta-johns on the airshow grounds. Only problem is that the compound runs on a septic tank, so you can't use the bathroom when the tank is full.

Trust me, NBB is nowhere as unsanitary as PJOC.
C/Capt Isaac McDermott, CAP
PAWG Basic Encampment 2009, Staff 2011 (PAO), Staff 2013 (Inspections)
Pennsylvania Wing
Tri-Wing Encampment Staff 2013 (Public Affairs OIC)
GTM3, UDF, MRO, FLM
NJWG RCLS 2010
Mitchell #60963
National Blue Beret 2010 + 2012, SUPTFC-MS 2012
Earhart #15947
Cadet Officer School 2013

RogueLeader

Quote from: ifresh21 on January 09, 2012, 08:26:50 PM

Field conditions are just that.  Living in the field.  Hand sanitizer is your friend.  You want to do things adventouous?  Great, you are going to get sweaty, smelly, and wet.  You are going to get your hands dirty.  However, you will not be living in conditions so bad that you are going to be unsafe.  We don't run that way.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Flying Pig

How did man ever survive before hand sanitizer?  I think 3 weeks in the field is the longest I went with no "facilities" as an infantryman.  I know many who have gone much longer.  Just sayin.  And that was pooping in holes too! ;D

a2capt

Never mind the boy in the bubble.. the whole place is turning into the bubble.

Gotta build up defenses somehow.

Sapper168

Quote from: Flying Pig on January 10, 2012, 06:53:17 PM
How did man ever survive before hand sanitizer?  I think 3 weeks in the field is the longest I went with no "facilities" as an infantryman.  I know many who have gone much longer.  Just sayin.  And that was pooping in holes too! ;D

Baby wipes, I never went to the field/ down range without them
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

BTCS1*

Quote from: Ground_Pounder on January 10, 2012, 10:04:43 PM

Baby wipe showers are a way of life in the field.  :P
C/2d Lt. B. Garelick, CAP

lordmonar

Quote from: Ground_Pounder on January 10, 2012, 10:04:43 PM

+1000!
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

jks19714

Do not depend on hand sanitizer.  It is not nearly as effective as the media would lead you to believe.  Yes, it is fast, but there are an astonishing number of microorganisms which are not touched by it.  Don't believe me -- look at the number of fatalities in hospitals where medical personnel use it exclusively between patient contacts.  There is something to be said for mechanical removal of contaminated materials (like feces) using simple soap and water first.

john
(not a medical guy, but a Ft Detrick alumnus  ;D)
Diamond Flight 88
W3JKS/AAT3BF/AAM3EDE/AAA9SL
Assistant Wing Communications Engineer

CAP4117

Soap and water is best, but in the field that might not be possible. At LESA-South (where the entire week is spent in the field with no running water), I sometimes used hand sanitizer wipes, which claim to be more effective than the gel. To the OP: You will probably be grossed out, but you will be fine. In the end, it makes for a good experience because you will know that you can handle it and what works the best for you when you are in those conditions.   

Ned

Let me tell you about the conditions we experienced during the IACE program in Ghana sometime.   ;)

Wash when you can, hand gel when you can, but mostly have a great time at either NBB or PJOC.  Both are terrific "not-to-be-missed" oportunities!

Rogovin

The NBB Barracks are a permanent CAP facility.  They are well maintained, constantly clean, and quite homey after a hard day's work.  But the bathroom is spacious, counters clean, and there are about 8 showers.  Ya know, plumbing.  Toilets and urinals, too!

Anyway, the point stands ; CAP makes you are comfortable at NBB.  As best they can.  It's not a hotel, it's a barracks, but that being said, it's a nice setup.  After all, were are there for the airshow, not the leisure.

Also, they stress hygiene, since we are out in the public eye in a big way.

-Rogovin
2011 Foxtrot Flight NBB

Sapper168

Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"