Main Menu

Newbee Senior question

Started by AndyA60, June 16, 2019, 09:19:07 PM

AndyA60

Real simple question, one that can wait for my next meeting but always interesting to see how many answers  you get to one question.
I will be pursuing the Emergenecy Services training, I would like to be an observer. After initial orientation and radio trainings, can  you gain time in training by going on training flights with other members just to get a feel for the positions and roles?

Eclipse

Aircrew ratings do not require "time", per se, only completed objective tasks which need to
be proctored and approved by an SET (Standards and Evaluation Trainer). ANd then two mission
sorties performing as an MS.  You can do the tasks in any order opportunity presents itself, but you
you have to have Familiarization and Preparation tasks completed before you can fly mission sorties.
(As well as CC approvals).

You could fly as "interested ballast" on C-Type proficiency (self-funded) sorties, and sometimes
mission transport sorties, potentially splitting fuel costs between you and the pilot as thanks.

These are the tasks: https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/MS_SQTR_May15_8657400CF3580.pdf

Detail on the expectations here: https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/Aircrew__Flightline_Task_Guide__11__719CEDFE0E541.pdf

While there are a couple of radio-related tasks for Scanner, a Radio Card (ICUT) is not required.  With that said, get
yours as soon as you can.

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Quote from: Sandhya60 on June 16, 2019, 09:19:07 PM

..I would like to be an observer.

Since you are new:

Eclipse gave you the starting point which is "Mission Scanner".  Maybe that is what you meant to say. Mission "Observer" would then be the next step after Scanner.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

AndyA60

YES Scanner is what I was referring to. I blew through the orientation1, radio, dealing with cadets, instruction and already had my FEMA (I am retired civil service and was a fire safety instructor) so there is a reason I I blew through the online really quickly and if that's how the online training works, when I get more opportunity to take more online trainings (I see they have to approve you for different ones along the way)

And also when I have 6 months in I see opportunity for "rank" advancement. I just want to make sure I get going on an aircraft as soon as possible just so its not new any longer. I started flight lessons in the 80s, so the concept is not totally green to me.
I look forward to chatting about it more here!

etodd

Quote from: Sandhya60 on June 17, 2019, 04:13:36 AM
YES Scanner is what I was referring to. I blew through the orientation1, radio, dealing with cadets, instruction and already had my FEMA (I am retired civil service and was a fire safety instructor) so there is a reason I I blew through the online really quickly and if that's how the online training works, when I get more opportunity to take more online trainings (I see they have to approve you for different ones along the way)

And also when I have 6 months in I see opportunity for "rank" advancement. I just want to make sure I get going on an aircraft as soon as possible just so its not new any longer. I started flight lessons in the 80s, so the concept is not totally green to me.
I look forward to chatting about it more here!

Fantastic. Love to see another self starter who jumps in and starts studying Task Guides on their own, instead of waiting to be spoon fed.

Make all the Mission Pilots in your Squadron your best buddies. Pick your favorite and see if he would be willing to Mentor you and get the Commander's blessing. Don't listen to the horror stories of it taking years. I joined in August, and by March I was a MS, MO, AP and MP. Study all the Task Guides online and know the SQTR info, then find a Skills Evaluator in your Squadron to work through them with you, and sign you off. Then your Mission Pilot buddies can take you on the flights needed. :)

AndyA60

Thanks for the intel Eclipse..I like knowing how to phrase my questions on what I need to know and how to ask. Thanks. And P.S. are the documents you showed in the links up to date or has it been updated since 2005? thanks again!
S

CAP9907

Quote from: Sandhya60 on June 17, 2019, 04:27:35 AM
Thanks for the intel Eclipse..I like knowing how to phrase my questions on what I need to know and how to ask. Thanks. And P.S. are the documents you showed in the links up to date or has it been updated since 2005? thanks again!
S

that is the most current revision as shown in capmembers.com for reference.

~9907
21 yrs of service

Our Members Code of Conduct can be found here:   http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=13.0

etodd

Also check out the more recent 2014 revision of the Mission Task Guide for Mission Scanner:

https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/Mission_Scanner_Task_Guides_Dec14_BE9E677809C15.pdf

As a new member, you'll quickly see that old documents never seem to get deleted from CAP websites, and will still show up in searches.  One has to dig for the newer versions. The 2005 version still online is an example of this craziness.

AndyA60

cool. yea, I am a self-starter, since yup kind of have to be in Civil Service...I don't like having to wait to figure things out. Also, people stumble because they don't know what questions to ask. So, I like to demystify that aspect. Thanks again!!!