All cadet O-rides and flight training on C19 hold

Started by Eclipse, April 06, 2020, 07:18:37 PM

Eclipse

https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/Cadet_Training_and_Orientation_Flig_4ACCF266DF828.pdf

"1. Full Stop. Effective immediately, please cease all cadet orientation flights and cadet flight
training. This restriction applies to flights in CAP aircraft and in other aircraft where a vendor is
paid by CAP."

And frankly that should include all non-mission related flying period (but it doesn't, yet).

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Proficiency flying to maintain currency is still required. Stuff like 3 takeoffs and 3 landings in a 90 day period. Instrument proficiency flying. Still have to do some flying to keep your FAA ratings current.
Never mind your CAP qualifications.

Eclipse

That requirement is only to carry passengers, which in a CAP context you should not be doing outside a mission.
Once the bugs are gone, do your three and resume ops normal.

In the meantime, keep your germs out of the plane, the hangar, and the FBO unless absolutely necessary.

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Yes, my Wing has done a full stop on all aircraft. No currency flying or others until the end of this month. Only exception would be AFRCC calling us up.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Fubar

Quote from: etodd on April 06, 2020, 11:01:19 PMOnly exception would be AFRCC calling us up.

Who will be current if nobody is flying?

Eclipse

Define "current" and for what purpose?

CAP is like a week into a "mostly stop" which is only an internal thing,
not a shut down of GA. Guaranteed Wing CCs will have the latitude to keep
key players current and qualified.

5s and 91s don't pop in 90 days, and nothing would preclude CAP pilots
from flying on their own, or moving "stuff" and airplanes, plus 3 times around
the pattern and you're back up to being able to fly.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spam

Back in '91, I flew a mission at 0200 where my partner properly admitted that he wasn't FAA current; I ran the plots and planned our SAR patterns while he went and flew 3 night approach and landings. He pulled up at the Squadron, I got in the right seat, we flew the hop and earned an ND FIND within the hour. Boom, done right with above board honesty and good CRM and we got the job done legally.

This isn't tough to do this deliberately and safely by the CAP rules and by FAA regulations. Lets not make it so.

V/r
Spam

Huey Driver

Welp, as of today's letter...

QuoteRoutine training, proficiency and flight evaluations must be postponed. Proficiency and flight evaluations will only be accomplished to meet established mission essential requirements. For example, if it is necessary to complete a short proficiency sortie immediately prior to a mission sortie to regain FAA passenger carrying requirements, that would be permissible.

Thus shutting the door on anything but "just-in-time" currency as minimally required.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

etodd

QuoteThus shutting the door on anything but "just-in-time" currency as minimally required.

Has there ever been a poll of the CAP Pilots to see how many fly airplanes other than the CAP ones, and maintain currency and proficiency outside of CAP? Are there that many whose only flying is the few hours here and there they get in CAP?

NIN

Quote from: Nor'easter on April 08, 2020, 07:06:42 AMThus shutting the door on anything but "just-in-time" currency as minimally required.

Until 11 May. Unless that gets extended, of course.

Its 4 weeks. I'm kind of guessing the number of people who will go out of 90-day currency in 4 weeks is not as many as we suspect. As for proficiency flying, well. Its 4 weeks.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

All-stop directive extended to 30 June.

https://www.cap.news/natl-commander-extends-pandemic-related-travel-meeting-restrictions/

"Continuing concerns about COVID-19 have prompted Maj. Gen. Mark Smith, Civil Air Patrol national commander and CEO, to extend restrictions on CAP-related travel and meetings – previously set to expire May 11 – to June 30, Smith announces in his latest letter to members and staff."

Waivers for encampment and COS / RCLS in place until May 2021.

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

QuoteThus shutting the door on anything but "just-in-time" currency as minimally required.

Self-pay C-12 sorties, flying solo, still allowed, as per our Wing, who coordinated with National.

So if you are able to pay, you can keep your flying skills up.  I'll be flying tomorrow. And will disinfect the plane before and after. :)

BJD

Quote from: etodd on May 08, 2020, 03:37:59 PM

Self-pay C-12 sorties, flying solo, still allowed, as per our Wing, who coordinated with National.

So if you are able to pay, you can keep your flying skills up.  I'll be flying tomorrow. And will disinfect the plane before and after. :)

Will you please identify who at National approved that?  It seems to directly contradict directive 3b from Gen Smith on 7 APR and not modified by his 21 APR or 7 MAY memos.

etodd

Quote from: BJD on May 08, 2020, 04:51:00 PM

Will you please identify who at National approved that?  It seems to directly contradict directive 3b from Gen Smith on 7 APR and not modified by his 21 APR or 7 MAY memos.

My only advise would be to get your Wing DO to coordinate with the national DO, for approval (or not).

It's solo flights, so cannot see any substantive issues. Could vary by location. We have a separate hangar, so we do not have to interact with FBO or other airport personnel. Solo.

BJD

Quote from: etodd on May 08, 2020, 06:23:02 PM
Quote from: BJD on May 08, 2020, 04:51:00 PM

My only advise would be to get your Wing DO to coordinate with the national DO, for approval (or not).

It's solo flights, so cannot see any substantive issues. Could vary by location. We have a separate hangar, so we do not have to interact with FBO or other airport personnel. Solo.

I have discussed this with the CAP DO who told me today the flying stand-down policy has broadly not changed.  Individual B14 sorties may be approved by the NOC in certain limited circumstances.  I suggest your wing DO obtain written approval before blanket use of C12 flying since this is not consistent with current NHQ policy. The goal is to move back into active operations, but to do it responsibly and smartly. At this time we are not out of the woods and NHQ does not want our members contributing to the problems through non-essential mission work.

xray328

I'm assuming the Wings Scholarships are still on hold as well? Last we heard (4/6) they weren't establishing any new contracts with the flight schools until this was over.  That being said, if the local flight schools in your area open for business what's the harm there? At least get the cadets signed up so they can start training as soon as conditions improve.  I can see them lifting these restrictions and NHQ taking another month to restart and get things rolling then poof, summers gone.

Eclipse

IMHO, everyone needs to start getting used to the idea that the Summer is already gone, and the
Fall looks like it's packing up and heading out.

"That Others May Zoom"