Preserving uniform history: Unit patches

Started by alamrcn, February 24, 2010, 01:53:13 AM

alamrcn

A few years ago, I posted some images of patches when I received new ones in for preservation. I thought I'd start doing that again, in an effort to share some of the most colorful parts of our organization's history.

Anyone else who would like to contribute images, information or possitive comment - PLEASE DO!

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

alamrcn

OH-085
Columbus Senior Squadron
Version 1
Motto translation: "Fortune favors the prepared [sic]"

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

alamrcn

MT-012
Malmstrom AFB Cadet Squadron
Version 1

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

alamrcn

MN-063
Group Four Headquarters
Version 1, January 2010

Field
- Colored blue
- Representative of the United States Air Force.
- Same color as the field of the Minnesota Wing patch.

Borders
- Colored gold
- Represents the loyalty and pride of the members of the Group.

State Outline
- Colored red
- Symbolic of the Group's presence in a unified Wing from which it derives its existence.

State Background
- Colored gold
- Symbolic of the Groups commitment to the CAP core values of integrity, volunteer service, excellence, and respect.
- Also shares this color with the Minnesota Wing patch; a sign of continuity.

Compass Rose
- Represents the geographical location of the Group within the Wing with the prominent southern compass arrow. Also symbolizes the members' desire to go where needed.
- Color green symbolizes the adaptability of the members to the mission at hand.
- Color blue represents the members' devotion to completing the mission.

Spear
- Symbolic of the Group authority to act as the representative of the wing commander.
- Positioned to approximate the northern boundary and geographical location of the Group.

Triangle & Tri-prop Emblem
- Organizational emblem of the Civil Air Patrol.
- Colors are representative of pride in the United States of America.

Scroll and Text
- Colored white (background) and gold (text)
- Represents the honor of being the Auxiliary of the USAF.

The emblem was designed by Major Jeffrey Bartelt, Group Four Headquarters, and Major Andrew "Ace" Browning, Red Wing Composite Squadron. It was authorized as a wearable patch on January 10, 2010 by Minnesota Wing Commander, Colonel Thomas B Theis.

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

Major Carrales

I found one of our unit patches and will finally send you one.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

alamrcn

:clap: YAY!

I did loose all the images and information you sent me on a misplaced thumb drive. I'll have to make sure and get that stuff also, and put it on the website.

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

alamrcn

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

Strick

Looks good, I wish I could get my hands on one.....  Maybe the guy on ebay will make one :D
[darn]atio memoriae

SarDragon

Quote from: alamrcn on March 02, 2010, 07:05:37 PM
Rocky Mountain Region
unknown use

[image redacted]

Does that meet the requirements of the rules here?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

AdAstra

Ref CAPR 900-2, para 6.

Is the prop-and-triangle used by itself an "organizational emblem"? It's not the CAP seal, it's not the CAP emblem.... Other uses always place the prop-and-triangle within a blue circle.
Charles Wiest

alamrcn

Westchester Squadron
New York Wing
(estimated to be from the early-50s)

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

Eclipse

Sent to Wing this afternoon to be forwarded to NHQ as per the last National Board meeting.
(3 from every unit, have you sent yours yet?)

Ace, eat your heart out!     :D

"That Others May Zoom"

alamrcn

Bob... :'(  :'(
Weren't you going to help hook me up with the Lake in the Hills, Lake County and new Palwaukee patches?? PLEASE??? (I'm on my hands and knees, really)

National wants 3 patches now? That's very curious.

Here are two I just had the honor of preserving...

KY-216
Fort Campbell Composite Squadron
Version 1

http://www.incountry.us/cappatches/KY/ky216a.jpg

KY-216
Fort Campbell Composite Squadron
Version 2

http://www.incountry.us/cappatches/KY/ky216b.jpg

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

Eclipse

Quote from: alamrcn on March 07, 2010, 06:52:08 PM
Bob... :'(  :'(
Weren't you going to help hook me up with the Lake in the Hills, Lake County and new Palwaukee patches?? PLEASE??? (I'm on my hands and knees, really)

National wants 3 patches now? That's very curious.

I'll see what I can do - as you know they aren't cheap.  LITH should not be an issue as they just reordered a bunch despite being told not to since it has to be redone.  This request from NHQ has put a pretty big dent in "extras", and in some cases members donated from their personal stash.

As to the 3 - yes, the request went from 1 to 3 each to be sent up through the respective Regions to NHQ.  If I hazard a guess I would imagine this is for the historian at each echelon and the museum (which I had already sent a patch to based on a direct request).

"That Others May Zoom"

alamrcn

Quote from: EclipseI'll see what I can do - as you know they aren't cheap.

Of course I'll cover you, and then some if needed. Always like supporting the units and people who are able to help me - a private collector - out! I am very appreciative for every oportunity I get to preserve these unique pieces of CAP history.

On 3 patches to National...
I am certainly all for the National Archives, as well as the Museum project... But are they not working together? It would seem to be a little bit redundant, but I suppose they have good reasoning. A number of Wing Commanders once authorizing a patch design, already request a copy of the finished product for their wing archives. I don't think the region-level has any need to maintain an archives that includes wing and squadron inclusions - Just their own unit history.

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

James Shaw

If you have patches you need to send to NHQ they can be sent to me directly. That is where most of them will end up anyhow. PM for address.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - Current
USCGA:2018 - Current
SGAUS: 2017 - Current

Fubar

The opportunity to preserve my unit patch passed us by - nobody has any physical patches left and we don't have any sort of detailed drawing to give to a patch maker. There's been some talk that the effort required to re-create our patch is about the same as if we designed a brand new patch, so I've heard that's being considered.

Since nobody wears unit patches around here (heck, most don't wear anything but polos) I suspect this will remain low on the priority list. Unfortunate, but understandable.

alamrcn

Fubar -
Which unit is it for? A couple of us here may have some untapped resources to help you find it.

Jim -
Shoot me your address, as I do get inquiries from time to time. Also, have you yet been able to delve into Col Schell's patch and insignia book projects he was close to completing?

Another patch preserved over the weekend...

WA-015
Bellingham Composite Squadron
Version 1b
An earlier variation has "46015" under the propeller.
Mt Baker in the background is the largest mountain in the
area, and the golden eagle represents the Bellingham area.

http://www.incountry.us/cappatches/WA/wa015b.jpg

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

RiverAux

I know that some units in my wing have gotten extremely frustrated at being asked to send in the same patche to NHQ multiple times (before the changeover to the current office holder). 

SarDragon

My unit used to get the same letter every year. That's because no one ever bothered to comply, since we had a design that was never produced until about 2 years ago.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret