Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

fyrfitrmedic

Quote from: RiverAux on November 17, 2006, 04:48:17 AM
The trick is to sew on enough extra velcro backing on the flight suit in order to accomodate all the crazy shaped patches you might need to put on it. 

Like this?

MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

Al Sayre

You were reading my mind...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

RiverAux

Exactly.  I suppose Tedda was implying that anyone with a bunch of unused velcro space on his flight suit is a loser..... I don't know, those new Army uniforms they're wearing have about half a square foot of velcro space on each arm that seems to be left exposed by most patches.....

SarDragon

Yup, and the Army folks I've chatted with in the last month or so aren't wild about it, mostly laundering issues.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

shorning

Quote from: RiverAux on November 18, 2006, 01:23:58 AM
I suppose Tedda was implying that anyone with a bunch of unused velcro space on his flight suit is a loser.....

I wouldn't be so quick to put those words in his mouth.  Unless you're intentionally trying to vilify him.

RiverAux

Well, when all you do is post a picture of someone making the Loser sign you're just going to have to face the fact that your message might not exactly be clear to everyone.  A picture isn't always worth a 1000 words.

Trying to interpret what he meant isn't villifying anyone. 

What might he have meant?
1.  He was calling me a loser for having unused velcro backing on my flight suit in order to accomodate different patches.
2.  He was calling me a loser for taking this whole thread half-way seriously.
3.  He was calling all of us losers.
4.  Heck, he might have meant that he was a loser for participating on this board for all I know. 

pixelwonk

Quote from: RiverAux on November 18, 2006, 04:11:16 AM
Well, when all you do is post a picture of someone making the Loser sign you're just going to have to face the fact that your message might not exactly be clear to everyone.  A picture isn't always worth a 1000 words.

Trying to interpret what he meant isn't villifying anyone. 

What might he have meant?
1.  He was calling me a loser for having unused velcro backing on my flight suit in order to accomodate different patches.
2.  He was calling me a loser for taking this whole thread half-way seriously.
3.  He was calling all of us losers.
4.  Heck, he might have meant that he was a loser for participating on this board for all I know. 

I replied to your quote.
Quote from: RiverAux on November 17, 2006, 04:48:17 AM
The trick is to sew on enough extra velcro backing on the flight suit in order to accomodate all the crazy shaped patches you might need to put on it. 
Yeah, that one.

If you actually do what you said in your quote then yes, it was certainly meant for you. My flightsuit has the same shaped patches on it since 2000 when I started wearing one.  It might be just me, but I don't strive for the TOPGUN aviator look. What's your need for extra velcro?  How many "crazy shaped" patches do you have to accomodate on your zoombag?

RiverAux

Did you read it in context?   

We were talking about having to change CAP patches on a regular basis.  For example, going from the round CAP seal to the command patch which required sewing on extra soft velcro to make it work. 

The next flight suit I get will have extra space to accomodate any such changes in the future.  Frankly, I agree it will look stupid but I just don't have the time or inclination to do more sewing (or pay to have it done) than I have to.  So, if I've got plenty of room for weird patches (maybe we'll go to a triangle next time), I won't have to worry about it. 

Pylon

Quote from: RiverAux on November 18, 2006, 04:54:22 AM
Did you read it in context?   

We were talking about having to change CAP patches on a regular basis.  For example, going from the round CAP seal to the command patch which required sewing on extra soft velcro to make it work. 

The next flight suit I get will have extra space to accomodate any such changes in the future.  Frankly, I agree it will look stupid but I just don't have the time or inclination to do more sewing (or pay to have it done) than I have to.  So, if I've got plenty of room for weird patches (maybe we'll go to a triangle next time), I won't have to worry about it. 

I think the real trick is to get a custom-made flight suit entirely out of soft-pile velcro.   ;)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

RiverAux

Ooooh, that would feel so good!  Of course I might get killed by the static electricity shocks....

Pylon

Quote from: RiverAux on November 18, 2006, 04:57:25 AM
Ooooh, that would feel so good!

Well, as long as it's a custom job, might as well line the inside with something comfy like silk.  You know, for maximum comfort.

Quote from: RiverAux on November 18, 2006, 04:57:25 AMOf course I might get killed by the static electricity shocks....

It would require a large patch on the arms indicating "WARNING:  Do not fuel CAP van, aircraft, or POVs while wearing this uniform."

;D
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

ELTHunter

Maybe you could install static wicks :)
Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170
Deputy Commander of Cadets
Emergency Services Officer

RiverAux

Get sort of a cowboy leather-fringed shirt thing going....

ELTHunter

Maybe something with gold fringe hanging off the shoulder boards.  A TPFS.
Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170
Deputy Commander of Cadets
Emergency Services Officer