NESA Registration Opened

Started by Angus, December 28, 2009, 09:32:52 PM

DG

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on May 06, 2010, 03:25:23 PM
Will there be laundry facilities available this year? When I was there in 06 they said there may be, and they have said the same every year, but there wasn't and I would have given my left arm to do laundry.

There are laundry facilities.  Always were.

Over by the PX.

SarDragon

[nuked; see below]

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

mynetdude

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Wolfman21

i was just woundering how hard is basic GSAR and if it has BCUT thats all i need for my GTM3 Qual but i look foward to my first experience at NESA 8)
C/SrA Kidd
Element leader
GLR-KY-216
Ft. Campbell composite squadron
"EAGLES OF MERCEY"

davidsinn

Quote from: Wolfman21 on May 07, 2010, 04:21:31 AM
i was just woundering how hard is basic GSAR and if it has BCUT thats all i need for my GTM3 Qual but i look foward to my first experience at NESA 8)

Your CC or comm officer can do BCUT with you in a couple of hours.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

mynetdude

Quote from: davidsinn on May 07, 2010, 05:11:35 AM

Ours can do it in an hour, BCUT is simply a slideshow presentation or self study (I did the self study).

SJFedor

Quote from: mynetdude on May 06, 2010, 11:22:04 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on May 06, 2010, 11:17:08 PM
Quote from: mynetdude on May 06, 2010, 01:56:43 PM
Quote from: SJFedor on May 06, 2010, 05:46:05 AM
Quote from: FastAttack on May 06, 2010, 03:14:43 AM
Quote from: SJFedor on May 05, 2010, 10:11:47 PM
And for all you MAS people, please remember to bring STL sectionals. We always exhaust the FBO's supply in the first 3 hours of the school  ;D

MAS MP student here.. thanks for the heads up...

Look forward to meeting you! I believe I'll be working the Scanner/Airborne Photographer/ADIS schools this year.

Are there SQTRs for an airborne photographer yet? And to be AP must one be MS?

There was a SQTR in the stuff I d/l'd from NESA a while ago, but there's still nothing in eServices.

Scanner is a pre-req, and must be at least age 18.

I read in 60-3 that AP was not previously tracked and only the wing commander or higher can input this specialty as I read in 60-3 so my question is why would an AP need to be scanner qualified? What makes a scanner not qualified to do AP as a MS?  In fact I believe a MS can also do aerial photography as part of the MS tasks???

As previously mentioned, there's nothing in the MS SQTR that prepares a scanner to do any form of airborne photography. the AP qualification focuses on just that: how to take pictures from an airplane, how to take them correctly, how to format them, how to use the equipment (cameras) correctly, including settings and whatnot.

Nothing about doing the MS SQTR prepares one to do the AP job.

And MS will be a pre-req for AP/ADIS once the SQTRs come out. Right now, as mentioned, the Wing/CC or higher has to put the qual in. Those that graduate from the NESA program do find AP on their 101 cards.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

SJFedor

Quote from: DG on May 07, 2010, 01:58:20 AM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on May 06, 2010, 03:25:23 PM
Will there be laundry facilities available this year? When I was there in 06 they said there may be, and they have said the same every year, but there wasn't and I would have given my left arm to do laundry.

There are laundry facilities.  Always were.

Over by the PX.

Yup, right by the PX. And, if you've got your own transportation available, there's actually a laundromat about 2-3 miles from post, right by the domino's pizza that you can drop your stuff off and they wash it and fold it for you. Pretty cost effective. I did 10 day's worth of laundry there for maybe $18, folded and all.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

davidsinn

Quote from: SJFedor on May 07, 2010, 08:01:35 AM
Pretty cost effective. I did 10 day's worth of laundry there for maybe $18, folded and all.

You sir, are most definitely an apartment dwelling bachelor if you consider that cost effective. :o My wife and I can do months worth of laundry for that price. ;D Heck I used to know a place where you could get 5 gallons of Tide for $25. That'd last a couple of years at least.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

a2capt

There's a difference.

When you're in a pinch, out of your normal area/surroundings, and have limited time and or means, that $18 isn't such a bad deal at all, all things considered.

It's either that or stomping on towels after using the hot shower water, and hanging near the A/C unit with the room on "eskimo" mode, cold .. but dry as the A/C is a great dehumidifier.

Of course, that's if there's an A/C unit available ;-)

..and then you may need to iron it.

Spaceman3750

No a/c at NESA :(. At least not last time I was there. Thanks for the info though, I will definitely try to find some time to run to the PX to do laundry! :)

EDIT: Looking at the schedule, there will be no time for that :(...

husker

Most of the barracks now have A/C.  The ones we will be using in the foreseeable future should all have A/C now.  We are generally limited to a certain block now at Atterbury as they have removed most of the full service kitchens in the other blocks.
Michael Long, Lt Col CAP
Deputy Director, National Emergency Services Academy
nesa.cap.gov
mlong (at) nesa.cap.gov

Spaceman3750

Quote from: husker on May 07, 2010, 06:22:21 PM
Most of the barracks now have A/C.  The ones we will be using in the foreseeable future should all have A/C now.  We are generally limited to a certain block now at Atterbury as they have removed most of the full service kitchens in the other blocks.

You just made my day sir :).

SarDragon

Quote from: mynetdude on May 07, 2010, 07:20:29 AM

Ours can do it in an hour, BCUT is simply a slideshow presentation or self study (I did the self study).

Then you're missing some material. My BCUT classes usually go about an hour and forty-five minutes to get in all the info.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

mynetdude

Quote from: SarDragon on May 07, 2010, 08:03:54 PM
Quote from: mynetdude on May 07, 2010, 07:20:29 AM

Then you're missing some material. My BCUT classes usually go about an hour and forty-five minutes to get in all the info.

oh wait, I forgot the practical portion... I need not do that when renewing my BCUT :P ACUT doesn't expire but BCUT does.

SarDragon

Why not do the practical portion when renewing? What if there's something that has changed in a reg that might benefit from the practice. Something that comes to mind is the new A/C call sign scheme - 'CAP' vice 'CAPflight'.

As a part of our ROA training, we do a short tabletop exercise, where the students follow a scripted scenario and actually operate radios (ISRs) and get some hands-on experience. I see no reason to skip any chance for practical application of our skills.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

FastAttack

1 quick question.

are we still getting the welcome packet via mail?

just curious.

mynetdude

Quote from: SarDragon on May 08, 2010, 02:22:29 AM
Why not do the practical portion when renewing? What if there's something that has changed in a reg that might benefit from the practice. Something that comes to mind is the new A/C call sign scheme - 'CAP' vice 'CAPflight'.

As a part of our ROA training, we do a short tabletop exercise, where the students follow a scripted scenario and actually operate radios (ISRs) and get some hands-on experience. I see no reason to skip any chance for practical application of our skills.

because I don't feel there is a need to perform the practical side of it when renewing unless there has been a significant change and yes I am fully aware of the change from CAPflight to CAP for aircraft but it doesn't matter what the rules are people still use CAPflight in our wing and that does not mean I will go along with what they are doing.

husker

Quote from: FastAttack on May 08, 2010, 03:44:23 AM
1 quick question.

are we still getting the welcome packet via mail?

just curious.

Yes, you should get a packet any day now.  I know they were working on them this past week.
Michael Long, Lt Col CAP
Deputy Director, National Emergency Services Academy
nesa.cap.gov
mlong (at) nesa.cap.gov