CAP Officer Basic Course - Launching announced

Started by Chappie, December 08, 2009, 10:38:59 PM

EMT-83

It's been ages since I saluted a superior officer. I haven't done that since Tuesday.

davidsinn

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on January 15, 2010, 08:46:15 PM
OK, but when is the last time any of you guys have seen senior members salute each other? I have never seen it. I try to make a point of it for myself, but that's simply the former cadet in me.

Last night I saluted my group commander. Same as every other Thursday night.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Lt Oliv

I will say that I never saw two officers of the same grade salute one another when I was on active duty.

Of course, officers in the O-1 and O-2 area were generally pretty liberal in their rendering a salute to one another.

I dunno. I worked for a living.

Angus

I was skimming through the thread, and I just want to confirm something and make sure I'm reading it correctly.  I know we have the 90 days to complete the course from the date our group goes live. 

But I thought I read that for each individual test there is a time limit once we start a particular module's test before it closes and grades the work completed?   

I hope I was clear with my question, if not I'll be glad to try and fix it so y'all understand this Yankee's meaning.     
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

JoeTomasone

Quote from: Flint on January 18, 2010, 04:56:12 PM
I was skimming through the thread, and I just want to confirm something and make sure I'm reading it correctly.  I know we have the 90 days to complete the course from the date our group goes live. 

But I thought I read that for each individual test there is a time limit once we start a particular module's test before it closes and grades the work completed?   

I hope I was clear with my question, if not I'll be glad to try and fix it so y'all understand this Yankee's meaning.   

That is correct.

There are 40 modules.   You can take all the time you want to study/review each module.  When you tell the system that you are ready to take the test for that module, you have 20 minutes (some are a bit longer) to complete that test.  All of the tests are 10 question, multiple choice, 80% pass.   You can retake tests that you fail.

You have 90 days to complete all 40 modules.

JoeTomasone

Quote from: JoeTomasone on January 14, 2010, 06:21:34 PM
At the end of the course it said, "Up to two weeks".    *** EDIT : Just got an email that said it should be updated by next Friday - so hopefully 8 days in my case.

My ECI 13 has just been posted in eServices.   Took 6 days.   WTG National!   :clap: :clap: :clap:

Angus

Quote from: JoeTomasone on January 20, 2010, 07:20:43 PM
Quote from: JoeTomasone on January 14, 2010, 06:21:34 PM
At the end of the course it said, "Up to two weeks".    *** EDIT : Just got an email that said it should be updated by next Friday - so hopefully 8 days in my case.

My ECI 13 has just been posted in eServices.   Took 6 days.   WTG National!   :clap: :clap: :clap:

Great news Joe. I started my tests yesterday and I've only got 14 left.  Hope to have them done tomorrow. 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

exFlight Officer

If the second group moves along like Flint has since he originally started ... then we will all be in good shape. The time to wait wont be so long for the members who are scheduled to start sometime at the end of 2010. I am in the fourth group and maybe I can complete the OBC by March. Hopefully, if the fourth group gets to take the OBC ahead of schedule like the first two groups have. Keep up the good work Flint!  ;D  ;D

Angus

Flight it also helps that I've been in the program for 5 years.  Most of the information in Unit 2 if you don't know after 5 years you're in trouble.  Plus I'm also pushing myself so that I can be promoted by middle of next month before I go to a class being helped this way. 

Addendum, the first group started on schedule.
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

Angus

I'd just like to let everyone know I finished the course today.  Wasn't that bad.  Now it's just paper work for the promotion.

I forget which page of this thread it's on.  With the certificate that I can print off of black board is that enough for my PDO to put me in for Level II if this is my last requirement? 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

Capt Rivera

It would probably be fine, however he/she might want to wait the day or two to see it post to E-Services.

- When you think about it. Your promotion date or request date should not come before the date listed in e-services for the completion of the course...

- My guess is that the promotion wont go through until E-Services is updated.(E-Services will likely say you have not met all pre-requisites)

I recommend waiting....

Quote from: Flint on January 21, 2010, 03:54:37 AM
I'd just like to let everyone know I finished the course today.  Wasn't that bad.  Now it's just paper work for the promotion.

I forget which page of this thread it's on.  With the certificate that I can print off of black board is that enough for my PDO to put me in for Level II if this is my last requirement?
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

JoeTomasone

The date that shows up in eServices is the date you finished the course, not the date it's posted.  However, I would guess that the promotion would not go through until it's posted, right?  Wouldn't the system kick any promotion action back since ECI 13 is missing?

Capt Rivera

Quote from: JoeTomasone on January 21, 2010, 04:24:27 AM
Wouldn't the system kick any promotion action back since ECI 13 is missing?

I would have to assume that's the case but only experience will tell for sure.
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander

Eclipse

Quote from: JoeTomasone on January 21, 2010, 04:24:27 AMHowever, I would guess that the promotion would not go through until it's posted, right?  Wouldn't the system kick any promotion action back since ECI 13 is missing?

A duty performance promotion can't be clicked until the member is 3-flags green (PD level, TIG, age), but I understand NHQ will process
level-upgrades before they post if you include substantiation.

"That Others May Zoom"

Cecil DP

Quote from: Eclipse on January 21, 2010, 04:31:37 AM
Quote from: JoeTomasone on January 21, 2010, 04:24:27 AMHowever, I would guess that the promotion would not go through until it's posted, right?  Wouldn't the system kick any promotion action back since ECI 13 is missing?

A duty performance promotion can't be clicked until the member is 3-flags green (PD level, TIG, age), but I understand NHQ will process
level-upgrades before they post if you include substantiation.

Unless it's done on paper. Thankfully the  F2 and  F24 can be e-mailed or faxed for 1st and 2nd LT. If going for Captain, hand carry to Group CC and than e-mail or Fax.   
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

JoeTomasone

When does the level completion get noted?  When all the requirements are posted, or when you are promoted?

In other words, if ECI 13 was all that I needed to complete level II, should it show as being completed when the ECI 13 is posted?

davidsinn

Quote from: JoeTomasone on January 21, 2010, 09:55:06 AM
When does the level completion get noted?  When all the requirements are posted, or when you are promoted?

In other words, if ECI 13 was all that I needed to complete level II, should it show as being completed when the ECI 13 is posted?

You must still send a F24 up to national. I've waited a week for my emailed F24 to post Lvl 2and it's still not there.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Capt Rivera

Quote from: JoeTomasone on January 21, 2010, 09:55:06 AM

Level is completed after From 24 is processed through chain of command as approved.
- Which should only happen if ECI-13/OBC is documented as complete.
-- A professional development officer or personnel officer would fill out the form (request action) and up-channel it for approval.
---- You could fill it out yourself but you take an opportunity for someone to do their job... Some apprecaite and some may not appreciate that...

Promotion can only happen after the level is completed.
- Example: "Level 2" must be completed prior to being promoted to Capt. (duty performance promotion)

Paper promotions likely take longer as a whole then E-Services but would allow someone to view the OBC cert and start the process. The promotion paperwork could be the very next piece of paperwork signed after the level completion...

I believe someone stated earlier that it took 3 or less days for completion of OBC to show in E-Services which is reasonable. Anyone seen longer?

But for those who waited for OBC, whats a few more days to make most of the process paperless?
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander

A.Member

Without question the material in ECI 13 needed updating.   However, I don't necessarily agree with the approach to make the completion of this important material easier.  Is that really what we want or need?   

What we really need are people that are effectively trained and knowledgeable as leaders.   I do not see how this change helps to accomplishes that. 

The only thing this changes allows for is more senior members to potentially attain rank more quickly (ie more bling).  This is an objective that is not necessarily desirable, particularly if a member doesn't possess the appropriate skills -- and let's be honest, we have more than our share of those out there (at least in my experience).

Now, in fairness, ECI 13 did not necessarily accomplish this either.  However, there are a couple important things that make it preferable over the new approach:
1.  It required commitment and follow through on the part of the member.   You had to submit test, study, etc.   It was a bit more cumbersome process.   As such, a member had to "want it" more.  I consider this to be a good thing and it serves as an artificial barrier to keep those less committed from advancing further.

2.  You actually had to study - at least a little bit.   Sure, some of the material was outdated...even wrong.   However, you had to read it.   An open book test test with fewer questions, particularly on-line, means a quick search through the answers and done.   What was achieved in doing so?   Has anyone benefited?  I'd argue no.

I'll try to keep an open mind on this thing but my initial reaction is this is a step in the wrong direction.  But I'll also add that this type of course should really be a prerequisite before any senior member pins on an officer rank (expanded Level 1).
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Short Field

Quote from: A.Member on January 22, 2010, 01:28:26 AM
What we really need are people that are effectively trained and knowledgeable as leaders.   I do not see how this change helps to accomplishes that. 

Please provide some details on how OBC does a poorer job of training than ECI 13.  Have you taken OBC and compared it to ECI 13?  Your whole complaint seems to be that it isn't hard enough to make people "really" work and that too many people will be getting promoted now who don't deserve promotions.   
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640