CAP Officer Basic Course - Launching announced

Started by Chappie, December 08, 2009, 10:38:59 PM

EMT-83

Unexpected bonus: I conducted a Level 1 class for new members this week, and incorporated the CPPT scenarios from the OBC into the program. It worked well, having several shorter discussions rather than one long case study.

FlyingTerp

Quote from: JoeTomasone on January 14, 2010, 10:52:09 PM
Quote from: FlyingTerp on January 14, 2010, 10:02:05 PM
BTW, Lockdown does not install on virtual systems.

Actually, it does.  Tested it before I posted it.

This is what I get when trying to run it in a VMWare image:

Eclipse

Oh, well.  I guess its impossible, then.   ::)

I would suggest any further discussions of circumventing the Blackboard system be taken offline.  For better or worse its what NHQ has picked.

"That Others May Zoom"

Angus

With those of us in Group 2 starting on Tuesday I intend to start reading the materials heavily this weekend.  When we sign into BlackBoard do we have to sit through an actual lesson?  Or do we go directly to the test? 
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

vento

Quote from: Flint on January 15, 2010, 04:03:10 PM
With those of us in Group 2 starting on Tuesday I intend to start reading the materials heavily this weekend.  When we sign into BlackBoard do we have to sit through an actual lesson?  Or do we go directly to the test?

If you already downloaded and read the material from the CAP website, then you can go directly to the test using the LockDown browser. You don't have to sit thru the session.

Angus

Quote from: vento on January 15, 2010, 04:22:36 PM

If you already downloaded and read the material from the CAP website, then you can go directly to the test using the LockDown browser. You don't have to sit thru the session.

Do you get anything more out of the session that's not in the handouts? Are the sessons video or power point?
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

JoeTomasone

The same course material is presented, sometimes with links to relevant CAP and other publications that you are suggested to review.   You can skip the lesson and begin the test immediately, but of course at that point you cannot review the linked material.

If you have been around CAP for a while and haven't had your head in the sand the entire time (and being here on CapTalk that's unlikely), the majority of the test questions should be easy enough.   It's the standard type test where even if you don't know the answer, you can usually eliminate one or two of the choices as impossible/ridiculous.   The rest, with a handful of exceptions, are right in the PDFs linked to earlier.

I breezed through most of it personally, but then again I may also be CAP's longest serving Lieutenant...  :D   I don't think I took more than half the allotted time on any test, and many were 2-3 minutes.   The ones that took longer were the subjects in which I had zero knowledge (the Chaplain module comes to mind), but the ones I was familiar with (Standards, CAP History, etc) were a breeze.    Some required lookups as I didn't recall the particular number of the referenced publication or some other similarly (seemingly?) obscure detail.   

So my further advice would be to pay closer attention to those modules in which you have the least foreknowledge.

I did find a few things to be "CapTalk picky" about - such as the use of improper grade abbreviations (1LT was used a lot, for example) and I think there might have been some questions in which rank and grade were used interchangeably - and there was the curious statement that salutes are rendered by rank (as opposed to grade).   Now, the same wording is in CAPP 151 and can be excused as more interchanging (even USAF does it when discussing whom one salutes), but in this case the following statement is made:

Quote from: Standards Module
Who salutes first if both are of the same grade? It is not necessary to salute but it is encouraged as a sign of mutual respect and a courtesy (and keeps you in the habit.)

I have yet to ever see, hear about, or be instructed to salute someone of the same grade.   Not sure if my cadet training or adult observations skills are lacking; maybe those of you who were/are RM can weigh in -- if a Captain salutes another Captain as they pass one another, what would the other saluted Captain do and conclude?

JoeTomasone

Quote from: Flint on January 15, 2010, 04:26:04 PM

Do you get anything more out of the session that's not in the handouts? Are the sessons video or power point?

As I mentioned just above, there are some links to both CAP and external publications.   The sessions are text.

Angus

Quote from: JoeTomasone on January 15, 2010, 04:53:55 PM
Quote from: Flint on January 15, 2010, 04:26:04 PM

As I mentioned just above, there are some links to both CAP and external publications.   The sessions are text.

Joe thanks. That makes things easier and much more clear.

How long have you been an LT for? 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

JoeTomasone

Flying Pig

They must not like me.  Ive submitted twice with no response.

Angus

Yup you got me beat. 

I'm printing up most of the modules to read over this weekend.  Hopefully Tuesday I can get most of the testing done.
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

bosshawk

Rob: they are probably ignoring you because you are from CA and a Sheriff's Deputy.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Gunner C

Quote from: JoeTomasone on January 15, 2010, 04:52:45 PM
Who salutes first if both are of the same grade? It is not necessary to salute but it is encouraged as a sign of mutual respect and a courtesy (and keeps you in the habit.)

I have yet to ever see, hear about, or be instructed to salute someone of the same grade.   Not sure if my cadet training or adult observations skills are lacking; maybe those of you who were/are RM can weigh in -- if a Captain salutes another Captain as they pass one another, what would the other saluted Captain do and conclude?
That's interesting . . . WIWAD, 2d Lts didn't salute 1st Lts, and a WO/CWO didn't salute any other WO/CWO, regardless of grade (in fact, the standard was that even a W1 would address a W5 by his first name).  Me thinks if a Capt saluted a Capt, he'd be looked at like a hog looking at a wrist watch.  It's not wrong, just not done.[/slight rant]

It's interesting that this thread is now on its 12th or so page.  It's almost as popular as a uniform thread, and given a chance, it'll prolly continue to a ripe old age.  I guess the point here is that CAP members are interested in things other than the color of braid and exclusionary weights.  This bodes well for us.  PD is actually something that gets folks excited!

bosshawk

This whole thing about saluting has very little to do with the CAP Basic Officers Course, but it is a useful exchange of opinions.  It has been too many years since my military service ended in retirement, but I would make a couple of observations.

Saluting is a courtesy.  In saluting a superior, you are rendering a recognition that the superior rates recognition and that you are respecting his/her position in the hierarchy.  If a Captain salutes a Captain(or any other rank saluting a like rank) you are simply rendering a recognition.

Too many folks, in my opinion, look at saluting as a demeaning act which is required of an inferior in rank to a superior in rank.  IT IS NOT.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Flying Pig

Quote from: bosshawk on January 15, 2010, 06:31:37 PM
Rob: they are probably ignoring you because you are from CA and a Sheriff's Deputy.

Ahhhh..I knew it.

vento

Quote from: bosshawk on January 15, 2010, 06:52:34 PM
Too many folks, in my opinion, look at saluting as a demeaning act which is required of an inferior in rank to a superior in rank.  IT IS NOT.

X2

Also worth mentioning... the OBC did clarify the difference between grade and rank. I don't remember the exact wording, but the example was something like two Captains, one promoted on January 2009 and the other one promoted on August 2009, they are on the same grade but the first Captain is the ranking officer for he was promoted earlier than the other one. Low ranking (same grade) officer salutes the higher ranking officer within the same grade was part of the lesson presented in the course as sign of mutual respect.

JoeTomasone

This whole thing about saluting has very little to do with the CAP Basic Officers Course

Well, it does, because it is a part of the course.   Instructional materials should achieve education, not confusion.

Saluting is a courtesy.  In saluting a superior, you are rendering a recognition that the superior rates recognition and that you are respecting his/her position in the hierarchy.  If a Captain salutes a Captain(or any other rank saluting a like rank) you are simply rendering a recognition.

Agreed.   In fact, there is nothing wrong with a superior officer saluting an officer of inferior grade/rank/whatever.   In fact, most regulations (RM & CAP) expressly say that it is never inappropriate to salute given the nature of the gesture as a sign of respect.

Quote from: vento on January 15, 2010, 07:05:25 PM
Also worth mentioning... the OBC did clarify the difference between grade and rank. I don't remember the exact wording, but the example was something like two Captains, one promoted on January 2009 and the other one promoted on August 2009, they are on the same grade but the first Captain is the ranking officer for he was promoted earlier than the other one. Low ranking (same grade) officer salutes the higher ranking officer within the same grade was part of the lesson presented in the course as sign of mutual respect.

Right, and this is where (for me) the logic breaks down:

1.  It is impossible to know the date of grade of an officer with whom you are unfamiliar.

2.  You are required to salute all officers superior in RANK (which implies grade as well). 

So if I were to come upon another 1st Lt, without an awkward line of questions to determine rank, neither knows who is required by regulation to render the salute.  We can avoid discussion on the obvious problems of the salute needing to be rendered prior to conversation and the length of time that such a discussion might take (Beginning with "Huh?!"). 

The socially acceptable solution would be for each LT to simultaneously assume that the other is either higher ranking or lower ranking (and simply worthy of a respectful salute) and to fire them off at the same time (hence my question on the "opposing Captains").   Of course, then neither has initiated the salute FIRST, thereby throwing all barracks lawyers into a tizzy in one fell swoop.

The entire situation is avoided if the word "GRADE" is used in place of "RANK" -- you salute officers superior in GRADE to yourself -- which is what everyone expects -- Captains salute Majors, Colonels, and Generals/Admirals, not other Captains.

So the whole section makes no sense -- which was my point.

o When outdoors and in uniform, salute military officers and other CAP officers higher in rank.

o Who salutes first if both are of the same grade? It is not necessary to salute but it is encouraged as a sign of mutual respect and a courtesy (and keeps you in the habit.)

If you change RANK to GRADE, the second point can be removed and there's no confusion.

flyguy06

Quote from: vento on January 15, 2010, 07:05:25 PM

X2

X3

Spaceman3750

OK, but when is the last time any of you guys have seen senior members salute each other? I have never seen it. I try to make a point of it for myself, but that's simply the former cadet in me.