CAP Officer Basic Course - Launching announced

Started by Chappie, December 08, 2009, 10:38:59 PM

Angus

Let's see if the next two groups can get through it as fast.  Remember the first group did get two 3-day weekeneds which helps.  My Personal goal is get it finished within a week and a half.  That way it gives it enough time to show up in E-services and then for my promotion to go through Wing.  And before anyone says Unit Approval, we just had a policy letter come out saying Wing will finalizae the decision for promotion to Captain.
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

davidsinn

Quote from: Flint on January 12, 2010, 11:22:17 PM
And before anyone says Unit Approval, we just had a policy letter come out saying Wing will finalizae the decision for promotion to Captain.

If you don't have groups that's how it's supposed to work. Mine only has to go through group.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

JoeTomasone

Just started the course and it thus far is a major improvement over the ECI-13.   I'll let you know if anything terribly interesting occurs.

Anyone know if I can be field-promoted overseas?   This is the last thing I need to get my locomotive running... :D

helper

Quote from: Flint on January 08, 2010, 09:22:02 PM
Just got an email. Because the first group got through the course so quickly, the secoond group (which I'm in) will now start 1 Feb.

I just received an email update that the date was moved again to 19 Jan!
Mitchell (pre-number) & Earhart (2144)

Spaceman3750

I sent in my registration so we'll see if I can get in sometime before 2011.

Angus

Does anyone know how late they're booked through now?
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

Spaceman3750

Just got a response back (fast given that I e-mailed last night at the meeting!) and I was told I was slotted for late spring but that no further information would be available until 1FEB because of the whole people getting though faster than expected thing.

Angus

Congrats.  I can't wait to start this on Tuesday.  I wish it would open this Friday though.  3 day weekend I'd probably get it all done. 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

JoeTomasone

Took me 48 hours.  Time to get my locomotive running.   :)

Angus

48 hours?  Not bad, maybe I can get some done next weekend after working though it at lunch all next week.

I know it's in this thread somewhere but I can't spend much time searching for it, how long till it posts on e-services? 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

JoeTomasone

At the end of the course it said, "Up to two weeks".    *** EDIT : Just got an email that said it should be updated by next Friday - so hopefully 8 days in my case.

Basically, the course is 40 modules (topics) that each feature a 10 question test, for which 80% is passing.  Most limit you to 20 minutes to complete the test.   You can re-take a test that you failed.

It is open-book and open-note, despite this for some reason the tests must be taken in a browser that you download that prevents you from running other programs on your computer while taking each test.   It is perfectly acceptable, according to the enrollment email I got, to print out the course materials (I printed the PDFs that are available to anyone) -- so I am not sure why the whole lockout-browser is required, but hey..  For the convenience and vastly improved course materials, I'll use whatever browser they want.   

Overall, a very welcome change from the ECI course.

Angus

The reason for the lock out is to ensure that you don't get help from other people. It's so we can't use AIM or YIM. 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

JoeTomasone

Well, that's kinda my point -- it's open book -- you are allowed, in fact encouraged, to have the entire lot of class materials with you as you take the test.

But OK, let's say you still need the "extra help".   You could:

1. Make a phone call.

2. Run your IM program of choice on another computer or on a cell phone/iPod Touch.

3. Have your cohort in cheating simply come over.

4. Run the browser in a virtual machine.

I could probably go on, but having taken the course and tests I really, really, really cannot see why you would need ANY help that isn't legitimately offered to you already. 

Angus

Oh I know, they left a lot of holes in the idea.  But this is CAP, nothing's perfect.
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

Spaceman3750

Quote from: JoeTomasone on January 14, 2010, 06:21:34 PMIt is open-book and open-note, despite this for some reason the tests must be taken in a browser that you download that prevents you from running other programs on your computer while taking each test.

It is because, AFAIK, Respondus/Respondus Lockout is the standard method of administering tests on the Blackboard system.

Also, because of the whole IM thing. Just because it is open-book doesn't mean it's not an individual effort.

NC Hokie

Quote from: JoeTomasone on January 14, 2010, 06:21:34 PM
It is perfectly acceptable, according to the enrollment email I got, to print out the course materials (I printed the PDFs that are available to anyone)
I've already taken ECI-13 and am not eligible for this course.  Where can I get the PDFs that you mention so that I might benefit from this improved material?
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

JoeTomasone

Quote from: NC Hokie on January 14, 2010, 08:29:09 PM
Quote from: JoeTomasone on January 14, 2010, 06:21:34 PM
It is perfectly acceptable, according to the enrollment email I got, to print out the course materials (I printed the PDFs that are available to anyone)
I've already taken ECI-13 and am not eligible for this course.  Where can I get the PDFs that you mention so that I might benefit from this improved material?

http://capmembers.com/cap_university/officer_basic_course.cfm (bottom of the page)

FlyingTerp

Quote from: JoeTomasone on January 14, 2010, 07:05:54 PM
Well, that's kinda my point -- it's open book -- you are allowed, in fact encouraged, to have the entire lot of class materials with you as you take the test.

But OK, let's say you still need the "extra help".   You could:

1. Make a phone call.

2. Run your IM program of choice on another computer or on a cell phone/iPod Touch.

3. Have your cohort in cheating simply come over.

4. Run the browser in a virtual machine.

I could probably go on, but having taken the course and tests I really, really, really cannot see why you would need ANY help that isn't legitimately offered to you already.

IMHO, Lockdown browser is more to protect the integrity of the test than to avoid collaboration.  With Lockdown, you can't copy/paste, screen capture, etc.  This keeps the test questions from shared with others.  BTW, Lockdown does not install on virtual systems.

Eclipse

Quote from: FlyingTerp on January 14, 2010, 10:02:05 PMWith Lockdown, you can't copy/paste, screen capture, etc. 

No such thing...I'm not encouraging people to cheat, just pointing out the fallacy of the claims these software makers constantly make.

The test is online, open book.  Why would anyone "cheat" with the sum total of human knowledge available with one click?  Other than literally asking someone else for a specific answer, they ability to cheat in this environment is nearly impossible.

"That Others May Zoom"

JoeTomasone

Quote from: FlyingTerp on January 14, 2010, 10:02:05 PM
BTW, Lockdown does not install on virtual systems.

Actually, it does.  Tested it before I posted it.