CAP Officer Basic Course - Launching announced

Started by Chappie, December 08, 2009, 10:38:59 PM

jimmydeanno

The days of the internet are here, whether we like it or not.  The days of shuffling paper all over the place are fading quickly.  CAP is making progress in this arena.  Eventually a member is going to have to get with the program or not.  Nothing is excluding them from volunteering with CAP if they don't have internet access...

I suppose it would be like complaining that an online school won't mail you the coursework...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

JoeTomasone

Where the hell was I when this thread started?!  Just found it today.   >:(

Sent in my app.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: jimmydeanno on December 28, 2009, 12:25:28 AM
The days of the internet are here, whether we like it or not.  The days of shuffling paper all over the place are fading quickly.  CAP is making progress in this arena.  Eventually a member is going to have to get with the program or not.  Nothing is excluding them from volunteering with CAP if they don't have internet access...

I suppose it would be like complaining that an online school won't mail you the coursework...

These days a phone has internet access. A music player has internet access. An E-book has internet access. Those without internet, let alone a computer really do need to get with the program. And if it is an issue of cost (a non factor with the computer cost or the low end internet providers), the issue should be with CAP membership as well. Nothing is stopping Joe Broke from being in CAP, but being able to participate in anything more than a "attending meetings" capability would be hindered. Just a reality of life.

As for parents who limit their teens access to a computer or the internet? Nuts. This isn't 1993, and not everyone online is a sexual predator.

rroberts

I understand and agree that much of our society is moving to an internet basis for many requirements.  This is, as has been said, a sign of our times and our reliance on technology will only be deepening in the future.  I will not argue the benefits or complications with the usage of technology as I am a certifiable computer geek.  I would however like everyone to pause and think about the fact that much of our society lives in poverty.  The people who tend to feel that everyone has iPod's and home internet computers are part of the society that does have those items.  It is human nature to think everyone is like you (figuratively – I'm not flaming).  In fact many are not.  Some are far richer and some are far poorer.  I for one am a HUGE fan of online activities.  I also am a HUGE fan of making sure we scaffold (provide needed support) for individuals who are not able to meet the technology requirements that so many of us can.  We need to make sure that these individuals are not made to feel any less capable because of socio economic issues that they may or may not have any control over.  To do otherwise allow the formation of an ability gap that is based not on an individual's capability or drive but instead where they reside in the economic food chain.

I love blackboard and online tools, but let's make sure that the playground tries to stay level for all of our members.  I teach in an urban school in New York and I would hate to have some of my students that do not know if they have a place to sleep at night, have a barrier that might not allow them to participate fully in every aspect of our organization.

Just my thoughts.

Майор Хаткевич

Again though, if someone is worried about having a place to sleep, is CAP really the best activity for them? How much can they get out of it if they can put little into it (and CAP is pretty much that kind of relationship).

EMT-83

Back on topic...

I started the course tonight, and made it through the first three chapters. Basically a review of leadership programs I've already taken, but the material was presented fairly well.

MikeD

Quote from: EMT-83 on December 29, 2009, 04:37:17 AM
Back on topic...

I started the course tonight, and made it through the first three chapters. Basically a review of leadership programs I've already taken, but the material was presented fairly well.

Were any of those from CAP, and if so, SM or cadet?  If not, were they military, or something else?  The only one I've taken was a (free) online class from DAU on Integrated Product Team Leadership.  There are some generic qualities of good leadership that would apply to engineering, CAP and the military, but there isn't much in a 6 hour class where 3 of them were just defining terms (most of which didn't apply to non-DOD agencies).

EMT-83

^ National Fire Academy fire officer training.

I've only scratched the surface with the OBC, but the material seems similar, using CAP terminology and scenarios. I remember having fun with role playing on Group Dynamics in a classroom setting; just reading about it on-line didn't really do justice to the topic.

flyguy06

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on December 29, 2009, 01:33:52 AM
Quote from: jimmydeanno on December 28, 2009, 12:25:28 AM

These days a phone has internet access. A music player has internet access. An E-book has internet access. Those without internet, let alone a computer really do need to get with the program. And if it is an issue of cost (a non factor with the computer cost or the low end internet providers), the issue should be with CAP membership as well. Nothing is stopping Joe Broke from being in CAP, but being able to participate in anything more than a "attending meetings" capability would be hindered. Just a reality of life.

As for parents who limit their teens access to a computer or the internet? Nuts. This isn't 1993, and not everyone online is a sexual predator.
Yes, but you have a lot of 60 year old and older senior members that dont know how to use the internet. Everybody didnt grow up in a household where the internet was taught. Everyone doesnt know what an ISP or an email address. and the older some people get , the less they want to learn new skills. SO in you guys anwer, we just disregard them and tell them so sad too bad. I have a CAP parent who doesnt has a computer but doenst haveinternet service. DO I tell her "oh well, sorry your son cant be a productive member because you guys dont have internet access" CAP will then become an eclusive organization only for the priviledged. That isnt right at all.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: flyguy06 on December 29, 2009, 01:08:14 PM
DO I tell her "oh well, sorry your son cant be a productive member because you guys dont have internet access" CAP will then become an eclusive organization only for the priviledged. That isnt right at all.

I can't think of a single thing that is required that doesn't have a "non-internet" way of completing it.  The OBC is optional, moving in the PD levels in optional, etc.  If anything, I think our organization can go a bit too far sometimes with the amount of exceptions, waivers, equivalences, etc that are provided.

I can't think of a single cadet aged youth that has not had a "how to use a computer" class in school.  It's standard curriculum in my state.  Freshmen in college take "introduction to computers" which requires they learn to be able to use word processing applications, navigate through the operating system and find their way around the internet.

Many colleges have online portions of their traditional inresidence courses.

Latest studies show that over 80% of Americans have internet access and more than 50% of them have devices that can access the internet wirelessly.  63% of American adults don't just have internet access, but have broadband access in their homes. (factor out those that are below cadet age and those over say 75 (CAP's numbers drop off pretty significantly past 75) and I'd say that our members are probably significantly above average when it comes to access to the internet - at home.

Also, many studies show that it isn't generation "Y" that is the largest growing population of internet users, but those considered to be elderly.  Another interesting bit of info I just found is that Black Americans are the most active users of mobile internet, showing twice the national average of usage between 2007 and 2009, also citing that 64% of Black Americans have broadband internet access at home.

Just sayin...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

flyguy06

Quote from: jimmydeanno on December 29, 2009, 01:25:51 PM
Quote from: flyguy06 on December 29, 2009, 01:08:14 PM
DO I tell her "oh well, sorry your son cant be a productive member because you guys dont have internet access" CAP will then become an eclusive organization only for the priviledged. That isnt right at all.

I can't think of a single thing that is required that doesn't have a "non-internet" way of completing it.  The OBC is optional, moving in the PD levels in optional, etc.  If anything, I think our organization can go a bit too far sometimes with the amount of exceptions, waivers, equivalences, etc that are provided.

I can't think of a single cadet aged youth that has not had a "how to use a computer" class in school.  It's standard curriculum in my state.  Freshmen in college take "introduction to computers" which requires they learn to be able to use word processing applications, navigate through the operating system and find their way around the internet.

Many colleges have online portions of their traditional inresidence courses.

Latest studies show that over 80% of Americans have internet access and more than 50% of them have devices that can access the internet wirelessly.  63% of American adults don't just have internet access, but have broadband access in their homes. (factor out those that are below cadet age and those over say 75 (CAP's numbers drop off pretty significantly past 75) and I'd say that our members are probably significantly above average when it comes to access to the internet - at home.

Also, many studies show that it isn't generation "Y" that is the largest growing population of internet users, but those considered to be elderly.  Another interesting bit of info I just found is that Black Americans are the most active users of mobile internet, showing twice the national average of usage between 2007 and 2009, also citing that 64% of Black Americans have broadband internet access at home.

Just sayin...

I wasnt saying that CAP cant do things in a non computer way. i was commenting on his comment that eventually we wil go to all internet service. Thisis getting off the subject, but come to Martin Luther King HS sometime. Sure they offer a computer class as per the state curriculum. The quality of that class? Well, it leaves something to be desired usually. of course most teens know how to use the internet. i was speakingof adults and thefew teens that dont.

Again, didnt mean to get off topic. just sayin.

Майор Хаткевич

You know, if we were basing things on the lowest common denominator, we'd still be arguing if the Earth is flat, or how to make a jet engine...

SarDragon

Just got this today:

QuoteSubject: Extension of enrollment window for ADL-13

Greetings all-

Since the launch of the Officer Basic Course (OBC) on 10 December, nearly 1000 members have registered for the course... an absolutely outstanding response from the membership to this new program. It's been an embarrassment of riches, however, as we have already filled several classes and are working on July 2010 enrollments.

Due to overwhelming demand for the Officer Basic Course and the need for members to complete their Level II training, as an alternative, ADL-13 enrollments will be now be accepted through normal AU A4/6 channels until 1 July 2010.  Of course, members still have the option of enrolling in the new Officer Basic Course, but should be mindful that we are now filling the July 2010 class... so there will be a wait. Members should consider both options as they plan their Level II progression.  See the CAP University portion of the capmembers.com website for details.

Please share this information with your professional development officers and commanders.

Very Respectfully,

Bobbie-Jean Tourville

Bobbie-Jean Tourville

Chief, Professional Development

HQ Civil Air Patrol
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

RogueLeader

^ opps

Glad to see what they are doing about it.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

chief2

cdk77

Quote from: chief2 on December 30, 2009, 11:48:59 PM
Just completed the OBC, good course :

Done all ready?  :o

I thought I was making progress...guess I should get off CAP Talk and complete some more sections.
Craig Kursinsky, 1st Lt, CAP
Dover Composite Squadron, MER-DE-006

Angus

Quote from: lordmonar on December 09, 2009, 04:20:00 AM
Quote from: cdk77 on December 09, 2009, 03:34:31 AM
Quote from: EMT-83 on December 09, 2009, 02:52:49 AM
My application has been submitted, along with two others from my squadron. I wonder how many were sent in today?

I submitted mine. So at least 4.

I wonder how many slots are available....
175-185 slots available.

And boy do they go fast. 
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

Thom

Just finished, had to get it done before I go away for a week of training for the day job.

Overall, the course was better than I feared, nowhere close to where I hoped it would be.  For all the time they spent working on it, the grammar, spelling, and punctuation were pretty awful in some places, spot on in others.  The content was definitely better than I was expecting, though much of it was familiar territory.

In general, I think it represents a reasonable attempt at a basic course for new officers, and it definitely isn't a waste of anyone's time.

Good Luck to everyone else!

Thom

davidsinn

Quote from: Thom on January 02, 2010, 05:40:43 AM
Just finished, had to get it done before I go away for a week of training for the day job.

Overall, the course was better than I feared, nowhere close to where I hoped it would be.  For all the time they spent working on it, the grammar, spelling, and punctuation were pretty awful in some places, spot on in others.  The content was definitely better than I was expecting, though much of it was familiar territory.

In general, I think it represents a reasonable attempt at a basic course for new officers, and it definitely isn't a waste of anyone's time.

Thom

From the way my wife was describing it, it's sounds like it would be a better requirement for a lower rank than Captain. I would expect a someone with the TIG to get Captain to know most of that stuff by now.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Angus

Quote from: davidsinn on January 02, 2010, 02:08:09 PM
Quote from: Thom on January 02, 2010, 05:40:43 AM

Thom

From the way my wife was describing it, it's sounds like it would be a better requirement for a lower rank than Captain. I would expect a someone with the TIG to get Captain to know most of that stuff by now.

Even though I haven't seen the information yet (I start next month).  Would those that have seen it say this would have been better suited as something for Level 1 instead of Level 2?
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030