CAP Officer Basic Course - Launching announced

Started by Chappie, December 08, 2009, 10:38:59 PM

Flying Pig

How long to hear something back for registration?  Ive been waiting 3 days now with no response.

flyguy06

Quote from: lordmonar on December 18, 2009, 03:34:38 AM
Flyguy.....We give a week end for SLS, CLC, Air Show, TLC, UCC, Wing Confernce, 8-10 SAREXs,.....now you want an OBC....how often should we do it?  Since it is a basic course it would have to be atleast every quarter just to keep up with new recruiting.

NVWG could not support that.  We have a hard enough time supporting the required training now....and I think we don't do SLS/CLC/UCC often enough to keep our members well trained.

Well sir,

OBC wouldnt be for everybody. The ES folks could still do their SARex'x. they wouldnt be needed for OBS. Cadets could still do their thing. they arent needed and folks doing SLS and CLC wouldnt be needed either.  Cant you run concurrent trainng on the same weekend at different locations?

SarDragon

Where are you going to get the extra, trained and qualified, bodies to teach the course? Many places don't have enough to go around as it is.

Around here, it seems to be the same bunch of folks who teach all of the PD classes - SLS, CLC, and our local Project Officers Training Course, among others. You can't just grab someone off the street and stick him/her up in front of a classroom and expect satisfactory results.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

lordmonar

Quote from: flyguy06 on December 18, 2009, 07:27:07 AMWell sir,

OBC wouldnt be for everybody. The ES folks could still do their SARex'x. they wouldnt be needed for OBS. Cadets could still do their thing. they arent needed and folks doing SLS and CLC wouldnt be needed either.  Cant you run concurrent trainng on the same weekend at different locations?

The problem...at least here in Southern Nevada....is that the core people doing the work are all the same.  We just don't have enough good instructors for them to "do their one thing".  We are always trying to expand but it is hard to get a training cadre together.

Hence my reluctance to endores a new manditory weekend training course that would by definition would have to be offered before SLS.  I already have a problem with CAP not offering enough TIMELY training.  We already have to wait six months to a year for SLS to roll around again.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: flyguy06 on December 18, 2009, 07:27:07 AM
Flyguy.....We give a week end for SLS, CLC, Air Show, TLC, UCC, Wing Confernce, 8-10 SAREXs,.....now you want an OBC....how often should we do it?  Since it is a basic course it would have to be atleast every quarter just to keep up with new recruiting.

NVWG could not support that.  We have a hard enough time supporting the required training now....and I think we don't do SLS/CLC/UCC often enough to keep our members well trained.

Well sir,

That's the problem - there shouldn't be "ES People", "Cadet People", "AE People" and "PD People" - we're all members with the same mission, and especially at the baseline of training should all be sitting in the same classes.

"That Others May Zoom"

EMT-83

Quote from: Flying Pig on December 18, 2009, 06:33:47 AM
How long to hear something back for registration?  Ive been waiting 3 days now with no response.
I heard back in two days, but that was with the first group. I get the feeling that he's a bit overwhelmed at the moment.

Capt Rivera

http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/cap_university/latest_pd_news.cfm/

OBC Update!
[/b]
[/color](16 Dec 09)[/color]
Classesare filled through 15 MAY 2010, future requests will be placed in the 1July class until filled.  If unable to submit registration form, pleasesend name, CAP ID, and e-mail address to: officerbasiccourse@capnhq.gov[/color][/email]
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

Spike

^ They need to open this thing up better.  Let people take it when they want to take it.  Why "classes" to begin with?? 

I just don't get why they limit enrollment. 

Eclipse

Quote from: Spike on December 19, 2009, 01:45:29 AM
^ They need to open this thing up better.  Let people take it when they want to take it.  Why "classes" to begin with?? 

I just don't get why they limit enrollment.

A finite number of licenses.  Considering that a lot of people can challenge the whole thing in about an hour, hopefully they will
open up complete licenses as they come available.

I'd also be willing to bet they have to create 180 manual ID's for each group, and that is hard enough without having to figure out who's done and who's not, so I can understand just killing the whole group and starting over each 90 days period.

"That Others May Zoom"

flyguy06

Quote from: lordmonar on December 18, 2009, 06:18:28 PM
Quote from: flyguy06 on December 18, 2009, 07:27:07 AMWell sir,

The problem...at least here in Southern Nevada....is that the core people doing the work are all the same.  We just don't have enough good instructors for them to "do their one thing".  We are always trying to expand but it is hard to get a training cadre together.

Hence my reluctance to endores a new manditory weekend training course that would by definition would have to be offered before SLS.  I already have a problem with CAP not offering enough TIMELY training.  We already have to wait six months to a year for SLS to roll around again.

SARDragon and Lordmoaner,

You make a good point. I didnt consider that. That would be a challenge

flyguy06

Quote from: Eclipse on December 18, 2009, 06:55:47 PM
Quote from: flyguy06 on December 18, 2009, 07:27:07 AM

Well sir,

That's the problem - there shouldn't be "ES People", "Cadet People", "AE People" and "PD People" - we're all members with the same mission, and especially at the baseline of training should all be sitting in the same classes.
Thats not true Elclipse. I have an 85 year old member in my squadron who was a Tuskegee Airmen. he flew inWW2 and Korea. he has no interest in ES whatsoever. He joined CAP towork with our youth. He is a pilot and he get a form 5 every year. But he just gets it to go up and stay current. he likes the comraderie of themeetings and he likes working with the cadets. If we tried to MAKE him do ES would wouldnt hang around and he would leave. Now do I want that?
He comes to the meetings and talks to the cadets and he goes home. Doesnt do any weekend things. doesnt do any ES stuff and thats fime Youpick and choose what you do inCAP. I didnt really start getting involved inES until last year. Its takes enough to run a cadet unit. I only have limited time to give to CAP.

Short Field

Quote from: flyguy06 on December 19, 2009, 02:23:03 AM
He comes to the meetings and talks to the cadets and he goes home. Doesnt do any weekend things.

And that is fine as he has self-limited his involvement and expectations in CAP.  But if anyone expects to advance in the organization and assume some of the responsiblities of running the organization instead of relying on other people to do it for them, then they need to take OBC.

SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

flyguy06

Quote from: Short Field on December 19, 2009, 03:31:14 AM
Quote from: flyguy06 on December 19, 2009, 02:23:03 AM
He comes to the meetings and talks to the cadets and he goes home. Doesnt do any weekend things.

And that is fine as he has self-limited his involvement and expectations in CAP.  But if anyone expects to advance in the organization and assume some of the responsiblities of running the organization instead of relying on other people to do it for them, then they need to take OBC.

Oh, I completeky agree. I was replying to the comment that Eclipse made about ALL members should be engrosssed in all three missions. I 100% agree with what you said Short Field

arajca

THe emphasis of Eclipse's statement was that all members should have the same BASELINE training. Just because you a CP-type, doesn't mean you don't need to have a clue about ES.

High Speed Low Drag

I'm in 15 MAY class.  Which works out perfectly.
G. St. Pierre                             

"WIWAC, we marched 5 miles every meeting, uphill both ways!!"

flyguy06

Quote from: arajca on December 19, 2009, 02:31:18 PM
THe emphasis of Eclipse's statement was that all members should have the same BASELINE training. Just because you a CP-type, doesn't mean you don't need to have a clue about ES.

What if I have no interest in ES? Are they going to make me participate in something I dont want to?

Short Field

PD 101

CAP has three missions:  Emergency Services, Cadet Programs, and Aerospace Eduation.  There is nothing that says you have to be active in all three.

CAP OBC is a major step on the Professional Development path.  Members progress in Professional Development so they are better prepared to help run their organizations by filling command as well as staff positions.   Members who do not progress in PD are still valuable assets, but are failing to prepare themselves for greater service.   If a member just wants to fly, drive the van, hand out uniforms, or watch cadets drill, there is still a place for them.  But they are only kidding themselves if they believe PD is unimportant to the long term sucess of the organization.  That puts them in the same category as the people who believe they don't need to bother reading the regs because "they already know how to do it right" based on their (1) degree, (2) job, (3) military background, (4) cadet experience 20 years ago, or (5) just being smarter than anyone else.   

SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Major Carrales

Quote from: flyguy06 on December 19, 2009, 09:58:57 PM

What if I have no interest in ES? Are they going to make me participate in something I dont want to?

Ah...the idea of "University" in CAP.  When one attends a University, the idea is to become a well rounded person.  Thus the Engineers study literature, learn foreign languages, take astronomy classes and even music.   One must complete and pass the curriculum to obtain the degree regardless of their interest.

The same would apply here.

"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

lordmonar

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

arajca

Quote from: flyguy06 on December 19, 2009, 09:58:57 PM

Make you participate. No. Nothing above said you had to participate, just that you should have an idea of ES is about.