CAP Officer Basic Course - Launching announced

Started by Chappie, December 08, 2009, 10:38:59 PM

chief2

SilverEagle2

Wow, looks like we are going to be pinning on a lot more Capts in the near future. Good luck to all.  :clap:
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

Fubar

Any idea how many people got into the first group and if there is a waiting list for the second (or third, etc)?

Thrashed

I signed up as fast as I could and got Feb 15 2010.  Maybe I'll take the old test that I ordered?  Which will happen first?

Save the triangle thingy

Eclipse

Quote from: Thrash on December 10, 2009, 11:31:35 PM
I signed up as fast as I could and got Feb 15 2010.  Maybe I'll take the old test that I ordered?  Which will happen first?

You're not supposed to signup for the OBC if you are in an open ECI-13 track.  At a minimum you should contact AFIDL and
disenroll from ECI-13.

"That Others May Zoom"

Thrashed

Says who? I have not completed ADL-13.

The Fine Print
•Members who have previously completed ADL-13 will not be accepted as students at this time. We must do this in order to accommodate all the members who need to complete this requirement in order to complete Level II. We'll review this restriction on a regular basis and will remove this restriction when demand for the course levels out.
•Members who are currently enrolled in ADL-13 may continue their studies. Their enrollment in ADL-13 will continue normally and will expire 12 months from their enrollment, as usual. No new enrollments for ADL-13 for senior members should be submitted after 31 December 2009.
•If you are unfamiliar with the online learning environment and would like to take a tutorial, there is a Blackboard tutorial available.  To take the tutorial, please send the request in the email with your OBC application

•If you are having trouble submitting the form, copy and save either as a new .pdf file or as a .jpeg file. If you are unable to do so, please contact Ron Olienyk at rolienyk@capnhq.gov.
Steps to Enrollment:
There are three simple steps to enroll in the Officer Basic Course:
1.      Confirm your eligibility to enroll in OBC.
2.      Ensure you have not completed ADL-13.
3.      Complete the OBC Enrollment Form below and e-mail it to: officerbasiccourse@capnhq.gov

Save the triangle thingy

exFlight Officer

Quote from: EMT-83 on December 09, 2009, 02:52:49 AM
My application has been submitted, along with two others from my squadron. I wonder how many were sent in today?

+ 1

Just submitted my application.

lordmonar

Thrash,

If you do not offically withdraw from ECI-13 then you will get an incomplete and be locked out of all other ECI courses for upto a year.

A4/A6 may allow you to enrole in the OBC while still enrolled in ECI-13 but you really should not.

The note about those currently enrolled in ECI-13 simply means that you can continue to finish the course...which IMHO you should.

Order the test and get it over with.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on December 11, 2009, 01:47:24 AM
Thrash,

If you do not offically withdraw from ECI-13 then you will get an incomplete and be locked out of all other ECI courses for upto a year.

Also the FAQ:

3. Can I drop my current ADL-13 enrollment and enroll in the Officer Basic Course?
Answer: We encourage members presently enrolled in ADL-13 to finish the course.

The last thing they need is a bunch of ECI no-notice drops tying up AFIDL.

"That Others May Zoom"

Jill

Short Field

The on-line OBC is ran by CAP and has no connection to the USAF manged ADL-13.  Enrollment in one has no impact on the other.  I discussed this with our Region PDO last week.    There might be a "preference" to have people finish ADL-13 instead of taking OBC but it is not a requirement.   If you don't plan on finishing ADL-13, disenrolling is the best option.  Still, if you don't plan on taking another ADL course in a year, it really doesn't mattter.

Bottom line IMHO, if you are about ready to test, then finish ADL-13.  If you are nowhere near ready to test, then drop it and sign up on-line.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Thrashed

I've ordered the test.  I'm still waiting.  I'm tired of waiting.

Save the triangle thingy

Nick

Quote from: Thrash on December 11, 2009, 02:24:43 PM
I've ordered the test.  I'm still waiting.  I'm tired of waiting.
The story of our lives whilst dealing with AU.  Your luck, you'll get into the Feb 15 OBC class and finish it before seeing the materials from AU.  To date, I have taken 6 classes from AU (2 CAP, 4 AF) and the story is the same, every time.
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

Eclipse

Quote from: Short Field on December 11, 2009, 03:51:08 AM
The on-line OBC is ran by CAP and has no connection to the USAF manged ADL-13.  Enrollment in one has no impact on the other.  I discussed this with our Region PDO last week.    There might be a "preference" to have people finish ADL-13 instead of taking OBC but it is not a requirement.   If you don't plan on finishing ADL-13, disenrolling is the best option.  Still, if you don't plan on taking another ADL course in a year, it really doesn't mattter.

Does everything have to be a regulation before members will just do what they are supposed to?

Its clear the intent here is to have people already in the ECI-13 track finish it and leave the OBC for those who haven't enrolled anywhere.

Why is it so hard to just follow instructions?

"That Others May Zoom"

Cecil DP

The bottom line is that if you've done the course and only waiting for the test, you should complete it through AU. Rather than take a slot that can be filled by someone else.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Angus

I heard back last night.  I got in for 15 February.  Ah well,  as long as I get it done so I could be promoted at Wing Conference I'm happy.
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

Short Field

Quote from: Eclipse on December 11, 2009, 03:46:38 PM
[Why is it so hard to just follow instructions?

Actually, I was passing along the guidance I received from the Region PDO.  Some people are so far behind (as in never started or stopped with no real intention of finishing) in the correspondence course they will never finish it anyway.   Do you want to "punish" them or see more people finish OBC?   If people are close to finishing ADL-13 and will be ready to test, then by all means finish it.  If not, then they need to bail and get into something they might finish.  If ADL-13 was that great, why did we change to a on-line version that is significantly different.

Ages ago when I started college, the only "short" college courses you could take were the six-week long summer sessions.  Now entire degree programs are offered where you take one class at a time over a couple of weeks.  I know of several Masters programs that ship you the course work, then you spend one week in class, take the test, hand in the term paper, and then move on to the next course.   Then you have the new on-line courses...
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Flying Pig

If your already a Capt based on being a Sq Commander, do you still need to take it?

vento

Quote from: Flying Pig on December 11, 2009, 08:13:16 PM
If your already a Capt based on being a Sq Commander, do you still need to take it?

Yes, if you want to be promoted to Major. Level II is an embedded requirement.

davidsinn

I finally heard from the state director. I have an appointment for 1300 next friday to take the test. I'll have an hour one way drive for a 20 minute test.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn