Main Menu

Advanced Entry?

Started by GroundPounder73, November 11, 2009, 08:17:22 PM

GroundPounder73

I've got a friend who long ago in a galaxy far away served in CAP. He was of the opinion that being a licensed EMT, I would enter CAP (excuse my terminology, Im trying to get used to the lingo) that I would enter as an Lt. Ive read enough to know that EMS personnel in CAP dont do anything more by regs than the average good samaritan and I am working on trying to get into nursing school. If I join and am given advanced "rank" would I drop down if my EMT license lapsed?

Thanks to anyone who cares to answer. It can be hard sifting through all the nuts and bolts and Id like to have some idea what Im talking about before I contact the Squadron Commander.

Eclipse

You best bet is to discuss this with the unit CC.  The region and wing you are joining is very conservative regarding advanced grade.

CAPR 35-5 has the full detail on grade appointments:  http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/R035_005_489E25C089E93.pdf

Advanced grade would likely only be considered if you were serving an HSO role at the squadron. Within the letter of the program, you could potentially be demoted if your license lapsed and you weren't serving in a role commensurate with your grade, however the chances of that happening are so remote as to be functionally zero.

More likely it would cause issues for forward progression.

"That Others May Zoom"

Flying Pig

As a Squadron Commander myself, a lapsed EMT Cert does nothing for the unit.  I would deny it, and encourage you to just enjoy the program.  The HSO doesn't even do anything for CAP.   If anyone makes a go/no-go decision about joining CAP based on what rank you enter as, doesn't understand the program.  I have a nurse and an MD in my unit who received advanced promotions, and neither of them do anything in CAP related to their quals, nor is there really the opportunity to do so.

GroundPounder73

It was really more of just a general inquiry than a go/no-go. In any case, from what Ive read, the lapsed EMT cert or an active one doesnt really matter either way in terms of possible duty, only difference being the nifty little SOL patch which I really dont care about.