Main Menu

Iowa Wing CAP

Started by Pylon, September 01, 2006, 06:04:47 PM

NEBoom

Quote from: ZigZag911 on November 18, 2006, 05:03:24 AM
Has Iowa Wing reached a full year under this new model yet?

That would seem to be the 'first phase'.

Once they've had a chance to review their accomplishments (see what worked, what didn't, what needs adapting), then would seem a reasonable time for a study team to distill and distinguish:

1) what IA did that could be used everywhere

2) what IA did that depends on Guard support and involvement

3) what IA did that might be considered useful but optional

4) what IA did that may need adaptation to work elsewhere

They've just completed 3 years under their reorganization.
Lt Col Dan Kirwan, CAP
Nebraska Wing

flapsUP

I think we've all been scammed by Iowa.  I read their papers.  There's nothing new in here.  They've just went behind the letter of the regulations and got into the spirit of the regs.  For example, their WTA. A voluntary monthy meeting where their whole wing gets together.  What's so wierd or controversial about that?  Look at the other side of the issue, what is really wierd is a wing that meets only once a year...at a Wing Conference. That's wierd.  Apparently my wing reads the regs to thing that the Wing Conference is the only time the wing is authorized to meet. We'll change that.  >:D

They claim they invented "wing-centric" theory.  Wrong...that's what the regs say. The CC is the only corporate officer for CAP and the Wing is his unit. Of course the Wing is the main operational unit in CAP that's how it is organized. Squadrons as tactical tools?  Duh..what else would they be. That's what the structure in the regulations call for. The Wing establishes the squadrons.  Can't get anymore structured than that.  Field grade officers at wing, company grade at squadrons? Hardly innovative here. What is strange would be to have it the other way around.

Iowa has put one over on all of us. They read the regs understood the big picture and followed them.  Notice that nowhere in all of these documents did they call for a reg change?

Way to go Iowa.  :clap:

ZigZag911

Quote from: NEBoom on November 18, 2006, 10:47:33 PM
Quote from: ZigZag911 on November 18, 2006, 05:03:24 AM
Has Iowa Wing reached a full year under this new model yet?

That would seem to be the 'first phase'.

Once they've had a chance to review their accomplishments (see what worked, what didn't, what needs adapting), then would seem a reasonable time for a study team to distill and distinguish:

1) what IA did that could be used everywhere

2) what IA did that depends on Guard support and involvement

3) what IA did that might be considered useful but optional

4) what IA did that may need adaptation to work elsewhere

They've just completed 3 years under their reorganization.

Then it's time for an outside, objective study and analysis about its applicability elsewhere.

DNall

Quote from: ZigZag911 on November 21, 2006, 06:13:26 AM
Then it's time for an outside, objective study and analysis about its applicability elsewhere.
As I understand it, every wing in the region was required to visit & do a due dillagence study about what was going on in Iowa & what could or could not be taken back to theri wings. Then the national commander came recently & now they're briefing at the national level as well as to all the AGs in the country & the CC of the National Guard Bureau. Recall now that NGB was briefed in on CAP a couple years back & Air Staff studied then shot down the idea of moving CAP over there. I'd look for more development with the guard on a national level, and I'd look for CAP to adopt some aspects of what's going on there.

mikeylikey

I read everyones posts, and the letters associated with Iowa.  I just could not imagine the same thing happening in a Wing that has say 2500 members.  Logistically it would be a nightmare.  If we were all as small as Iowa it would possibly be more feasible.
What's up monkeys?

shorning

Quote from: mikeylikey on November 22, 2006, 09:49:17 PM
I read everyones posts, and the letters associated with Iowa.  I just could not imagine the same thing happening in a Wing that has say 2500 members.  Logistically it would be a nightmare.  If we were all as small as Iowa it would possibly be more feasible.

Sure it could.  You'd just have to push the structure down to the group-level.  Same concept.

DNall

Quote from: shorning on November 22, 2006, 10:08:11 PM
Sure it could.  You'd just have to push the structure down to the group-level.  Same concept.
yep. Maybe even reshape/size groups aourd distribution & facilities. We could do it in Texas with some adjustment. I think it'd work even better that way in fact.

RogueLeader

If somebody wants a a perspective from some members in a squad in iowa, just email me.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Al Sayre

Quote from: RogueLeader on December 07, 2006, 06:34:57 PM
If somebody wants a a perspective from some members in a squad in iowa, just email me.

Go ahead and post it, a lot of us like what we are hearing about Iowa and are trying to move our little pieces in that direction.  If there are pitfalls/problems we aren't seeing or hearing about, by all means lay them out for us to analyze.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

RogueLeader

I was at the WTA this past weekend, and I must say that I now have a higher opinion of whats going on, than before in my previous posts.  In the breifing, it was noted that while we are pushing for higher ES readins, that does not mean anybody else will be moved due to AE or CP, as was thought to be correct.  Another item learned was that the move of field grade officers to wing was to help avoid entrenchment in those jobs, so newer members like me and many new officers can get both a job and a taste of leadership.  This really makes sense now that it was explained in more detail, along with the rational that goes with it.  With the previous breifings, it seemed like they were doing it just because they could.  I know know that that ideology is wrong- and never used; and that my characterization of Wing as using that was irresponsible and damaging to Iowa Wing.  While I felt strongly about what I said, I was mistaken about most of what I said.  I apologize to those offended or hurt by what was done.  I will do what I can to help out.
Sincerely,
R.L.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

lordmonar

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

cyclone

Quote from: RogueLeader on December 19, 2006, 08:17:20 PM
I was at the WTA this past weekend, and I must say that I now have a higher opinion of whats going on, than before in my previous posts.  In the breifing, it was noted that while we are pushing for higher ES readins, that does not mean anybody else will be moved due to AE or CP, as was thought to be correct.  Another item learned was that the move of field grade officers to wing was to help avoid entrenchment in those jobs, so newer members like me and many new officers can get both a job and a taste of leadership.  This really makes sense now that it was explained in more detail, along with the rational that goes with it.  With the previous breifings, it seemed like they were doing it just because they could.  I know know that that ideology is wrong- and never used; and that my characterization of Wing as using that was irresponsible and damaging to Iowa Wing.  While I felt strongly about what I said, I was mistaken about most of what I said.  I apologize to those offended or hurt by what was done.  I will do what I can to help out.
Sincerely,
R.L.

RL, thank you for flying out to the WTA and finding out what is really going on first hand.   If you come and ask questions, you will find that everyone is willing to answer them and help you understand the many good things going on in the Wing.   Congratulations on passing your CPR / First Aid training!

The December WTA was the biggest WTA so far.  We had 150 officers and cadets (including RL) in attendance.  This month we were supposed to have some UH-60 training flights take place but Mother Nature had some other ideas.   So we improvised, adapted, and overcame and conducted ES practice for those that didn't have other things to tend to.   We conducted 2 CPR / FA classes, 2 ACUT classes, conducted new pilot orientation for 12 new potential CAP Pilots, conducted FRO re-currency training, introduced the Wing Banker Program to our SQ/CC's and SQ/FM's, and thanks to the Wing Staff (who doubled as Cooks Saturday Night) we had one heck of a holiday dinner party.  The Airmen Leadership school debuted and we had 30 cadets participating in that and another 10 as staff and the cadet orderly room staff.

We were visited by a delegation of Illinois Wing Officers and were able to show them what we have been doing.   Hopefully they will return again to work with us and have a good time doing it.   

It was a busy weekend for Iowa, and we are pressing onward.

DNall

Outstanding! Keep up the good work. Trevor is who I should ask about how ALS went no?

TDHenderson

Quote from: cyclone on December 19, 2006, 09:52:17 PM
It was a busy weekend for Iowa, and we are pressing onward.

Busy is right!  I am still catching my breath.

DNall, the first weekend of our ALS went VERY well.  We have seven C/Basics in attendance, with the rest of the Wing Cadet Corps that was not in Comms or 1st Aid training also attending to assist and participate.  The ICAPA Cadet Staff were strongly tested and responded VERY well working with the ICAPA Officer Staff and our Command Chief to provide a mini-encampment enviroment that served as the framework for the ALS.

We are already busy getting ready for the final WTA of the ALS and future ICAPA special activities.   

DNall

Good deal. I stell need to get you down here. We're runnign Gp level ALS's in the 80-90 range twice a year. CTEP dates for Spring are in flux based on availability at Lackland, but may be as early as late Febuary & late as April. Let me do some checking & I'll get back to you. Maybe if you're going to drive it you cn load up a van w/ cadets sign them up for the varrious sessions. Man, if I can send you backa couple CCSC grads & one each on the other courses, yall should be set for the next ten years or so, maybe an extra (adult) junior officer to sit through STEP (which includes TLC). Hell, bring chief with ya if you can, got a couple retired SNCOs around here that'll make sure he doesn't buy his own. Seriously though, I'm going to need to coordinate with you & Nick when this goes down, cause I'm going to need some people breifed.

TDHenderson

I am all for the trip down.  I am starting to think that getting a few of the ICAPA Cadet staff to come down to go through the OTS and CCSC would be a great experience for them and go a long way to helping them plan our own for ICAPA.

I am anxious to hear the dates and hope that they don't conflict with our WTA's like the Fall school did.  Fingers are crossed!

Oh and yes, I am planning on asking the Command Chief to come along if he is available.

tribalelder

The monthly training activity could provide a framework for putting a lot of  20+ year members who aren't as active (or healthy or energetic) as before who still have a lot to teach back in active service to CAP. 

WE ARE HERE ON CAPTALK BECAUSE WE ALL CARE ABOUT THE PROGRAM. We may not always agree and we should not always agree.  One of our strengths as an organization is that we didn't all go to the same school, so we all know how to do something different and differently. 
Since we all care about CAP, its members and our missions, sometimes our discussions will be animated, but they should always civil -- after all, it's in our name.

RogueLeader

Another thing that was said at the breifing is that in our next ES Academey, is that there will be more than CAP personel there.  Police- both ground and air units will be there, as well as some Sherriff Patrol members, along with various other ES groups.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

TDHenderson

This post is a reply to Major Carrales in another topic.  I wanted to put it here to keep all Iowa replies in one place. 

Major Carrales,

Yes we are working hard to develop ICAPA somewhat along the lines of the Texas CTEP program.  The ICAPA staff are hard at work making Cadet Program stew from some great sources, both inside of Iowa (namely some GREAT work from the Davenport Composite Squadron and from the first version of ICAPA that ran a few years ago on a small scale) and externally from Texas and from our neighbors in Nebraska. 

Our monthly WTA gives us a great framework to work with.  The logistics, facilities, and personnel we need are all in one place.  The Squadron Cadet Corps comes together and melds into the Iowa Wing Cadet Corps once a month in an encampment environment.  It really is exciting!

Nick Critelli

So Henderson you think the last WTA was really exciting do you?  Fine for you to say.  You were in the ranks during formation.  I had to march out there in front of 150 (70% of the entire active component of the Wing) with those darn cadets watching every step and corner I wrongly made.  And then there's that CMSGT with those eyes of steel and voice from the pit of hell calling the entire Wing to attention with a thunder clap of  150 set of heels that was reminiscent of something out of an old war movie, except I was on the wrong side of the screen.  Exciting No. It was downright scary.

Like they say, be carefult what you ask for you just might get it.  We did. Now we have to live up to it.  I'm taking drill lessons from the steely-eyed-one  (he who must be obeyed) so I can get off the cadet's black list.

Friends of the blog.  The Iowa program is not for everyone.  It works in Iowa and may not work in your Wing.  It's not the program I want you to adopt or  even focus on, it's the process we used to get to a program. 

The key is that all  Wings should encourage to engage in a process of  discernment to determine if and how they are complying with Title 10 and Title 36. If your Wing has  little or no involvement with your state EMD you are not complying with your statutory mandate.  If it is  disorganized to the extent that it is   not ready or prepared for a timely and proper statewide response to a mission you are not complying with your statutory mandate.  If it does not know on a first name basis  the state agency players in emergency services and disaster relief, you are  not complying with the statutory mandate.  Look at Title 36 USC 40302.  (I've posted it elsewhere on this board) If your wing does not have a strategic plan to accomplish all the tasks set forth in section (1)(B)(1) and (2) , you are not complying with the statutory mandate. 

The compliance strategy we used ( Wing-Centric operational theory, OTS, ICAPA, All Iowa Squadron, Field Officer Transition, and all the others) may be different for your Wing.  What is important is that you have one.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Years to you and your families. It's been a pleasure  to serve with each of you across the country.

Nick Critelli