Encampment in the '60s

Started by Cadet Dinosaur, July 31, 2006, 09:19:50 PM

Stonewall

I never went to Blue Beret, but back in the 80s I believe it was a lot different than it is now.

My dream was to go to PJOC.  I applied 2 years in a row as a cadet and didn't get selected.  Seemed like in Florida only cadet officers got selected.  By the time I was a cadet officer I was graduating high school and shipping out for the Army.
Serving since 1987.

BillB

I may have been FloridaWing DCP when you were a cadet. The few slots that Florida got were normally given to cadet officers for one reason only. They were the most qualified after earning the Mitchell. Looking at a file for one year, Florida got two slots for PJOC and forty five applications. The majority of those were cadet officers, so you can see the competition was intense.
Encampment records were also utilized to narrow down the applications and Special Acts Board scores. And keep in mind encampments were more intense during the period up to the 80's. The Encampment Commander was a member of the Special Acts Board to provide input that wouldn't be shown on an application.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Stonewall

Wasn't complaining, just sort of showing how much PJOC was in demand at the time and how big FLWG was.  The NCSA selection boards at NTC Orlando (at the time) were enough to leave a lasting impression on me.  It was like a weekend long encampment and I wish they were that serious and professionally run today.  Or are they?  Not in NATCAP (not a bash on NATCAP), I love that wing, its just so small there was no real competition.  If you wanted to go to an NCSA, you went.
Serving since 1987.