Specialty Waiver for Promotion

Started by stimpy4242, August 22, 2009, 06:18:14 PM

stimpy4242

As an additional note for everyone who thinks I am trying to skip everything.  So far, joining in June, I have finished level 1, finished Mission Scanner, Gotten capf 5, started ES, finished Chuck Yeager, Finished ECI 13, finished SLS (today), finished capt exams 116, both 117s.

Teaching first aid and CPR for my squadron.  So, please DON'T assume I am trying to avoid anything. I just want whatever is there for me to have.  Like I said I have the MS and 3 years as a university of MD faculty and that qualifies for Capt rating too.  So I know I deserve that for sure.  I think I can argue all the various things I have to offer to get the position that they allow.

As far as the people so far who are already attacking me asking why I joined and how it fits me...the same way the volunteer fire service fits me.  I enjoy rescue stuff and that is a CAP mission.  I don't want to wear a CAP uniform, I have no interest in trying to pretend I am an air force officer in the eyes of others.  So for those who think I want Captain so I can wear it on my shoulder, think again as well.  You will only find me wearing the CAP Polo and grey pants.  I don't need to prove to others what I have and can do, I know what I have and I use it to help the people in need.  That is what is important!  That is why we are here.  Let's not forget that.

Also I did receive a message of support from the Nursing Officer for MDWG.  However the message mentioned something that was important for me to note.  My original question was about rank, not trying to substitute something for SLS/CLC/UCC.  I made mention that during my SLS this weekend they said there were like two approved substitutions.  Just wanted to clarify.
SM Philip DePalo, M.S., NREMTP
phil@philipdepalo.com
http://www.swordshow.com

NC Hokie

Quote from: stimpy4242 on August 22, 2009, 11:19:25 PM
I don't want to wear a CAP uniform, I have no interest in trying to pretend I am an air force officer in the eyes of others.  So for those who think I want Captain so I can wear it on my shoulder, think again as well.  You will only find me wearing the CAP Polo and grey pants.  I don't need to prove to others what I have and can do, I know what I have and I use it to help the people in need.  That is what is important!  That is why we are here.  Let's not forget that.

This is not intended as a criticism, so please do not take it that way.  That said, why are you pushing for an advanced grade if you're content to wear the polo shirt and focus on the ES mission?
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

stimpy4242

As mentioned, it is for myself.  It is something that I am entitled to, so I would like that.  I am also entitled to wear the uniform, but I don't want that.  So its a personal thing for me.  Thats all.  This is a big stretch, but lets say you are independently wealthy and you hit the lotto for 2k, do you reject the money just because you have 10mil in the bank?  Probably not....

Thats all.
phil@philipdepalo.com

arajca

Quote from: stimpy4242 on August 22, 2009, 11:19:25 PM
As an additional note for everyone who thinks I am trying to skip everything.  So far, joining in June, I have finished level 1, finished Mission Scanner, Gotten capf 5, started ES, finished Chuck Yeager, Finished ECI 13, finished SLS (today), finished capt exams 116, both 117s.
Great! That information does change what is implied by your inital post.

QuoteTeaching first aid and CPR for my squadron.  So, please DON'T assume I am trying to avoid anything. I just want whatever is there for me to have.  Like I said I have the MS and 3 years as a university of MD faculty and that qualifies for Capt rating too.  So I know I deserve that for sure.  I think I can argue all the various things I have to offer to get the position that they allow.
Are you serving as an Aerospace Education Officer? The qualifications you are listing apply only to Aerospace Education Officers.
Quote from: CAPR 35-5e. Aerospace Education Officers. A CAP aerospace education officer is an officer serving in an aerospace education position at any level of CAP. For the purpose of promotion under the professional appointments method the aerospace education officer must also be fully certified as a professional educator (teacher, counselor, or administrator) by the state department of education in the member's state of residence or have served as a college or university professor (full, associate or assistant) or other faculty member.
Doing other instruction does not qualifiy you for advanced promotion under that rule.

QuoteAs far as the people so far who are already attacking me asking why I joined and how it fits me...the same way the volunteer fire service fits me.  I enjoy rescue stuff and that is a CAP mission.  I don't want to wear a CAP uniform, I have no interest in trying to pretend I am an air force officer in the eyes of others.  So for those who think I want Captain so I can wear it on my shoulder, think again as well.  You will only find me wearing the CAP Polo and grey pants.  I don't need to prove to others what I have and can do, I know what I have and I use it to help the people in need.  That is what is important!  That is why we are here.  Let's not forget that.
Again, your initial post implied you were looking for shoulder bling and thats all.

PHall

Quote from: stimpy4242 on August 22, 2009, 11:33:31 PM
As mentioned, it is for myself.  It is something that I am entitled to, so I would like that.  I am also entitled to wear the uniform, but I don't want that.  So its a personal thing for me.  Thats all.  This is a big stretch, but lets say you are independently wealthy and you hit the lotto for 2k, do you reject the money just because you have 10mil in the bank?  Probably not....

Thats all.

Ahh, but nobody is entitled to any grade. You may be eligible to be promoted to that grade, but you definitely not entitled to it.

stimpy4242

so noted about the entitled for eligible.  Yes I realize that you need to be serving as an aerospace officer.
phil@philipdepalo.com

Camas

Quote from: stimpy4242 on August 22, 2009, 11:33:31 PM
As mentioned, it is for myself.  It is something that I am entitled to, so I would like that. 
You're in this for yourself and you're entitled to grade? Your attitude disturbs me. While I commend you for your zeal in pursuing the professional opportunities mentioned in your earlier post I'd be looking for a team player who can fit in and make a significant contribution to the success of your unit. For the record I am a member of my wing awards and promotions committee. Those going up for promotions to captain and higher other than duty promotions are carefully scrutinized as to how their skills and qualifications add to the strength of their unit and not because they feel they're entitled to a promotion. I can only hope I'm wrong in my assessment of what you meant to say.

stimpy4242

Quote from: Camas on August 23, 2009, 01:27:24 AM
I can only hope I'm wrong in my assessment of what you meant to say.
Did you not read my previous post, it wasn't deliberate to say entitled, i agree eligible is the word as my PREVIOUS POST says.
phil@philipdepalo.com

LtCol057

I've seen a few people mention trying to get a special promotion waiver, but no one has mentioned that you can get only 1 waiver during your entire CAP career. 

When I came into CAP as a senior member, I was also a practicing EMT-P.  Even tho the regs stated that I was eligible for 2Lt after Level 1/CPPT, the paperwork for promotion still had to go thru channels to NHQ. This was back in early 1990, before the squadron commanders became the promoting authority.  By the time paperwork was done, I had been a SM for 6 months.  I don't regret it one bit.  I really wish NHQ would do away with some of the accelerated promotion criteria. It's like the uniforms, there are too many different methods to get promoted.  I know of some former RM types that came into CAP and immediately wanted to become Lt Cols because that's what they were in military.  They were promoted and haven't done a thing since. Haven't attended any PD courses, haven't even completed Level 2.     Just my 2 cents worth.

lordmonar

Your statement is not supported in the regulations.

Quote from: CAPR 35-53-9. Exceptional Qualifications. In unusual cases, an exceptionally qualified member may be promoted to any CAP grade (not to include the general officer grade) where age, professional qualifications, and known value to CAP eminently qualify the member for such grade. In such cases, it must be evident that the member recommended has skills or background so unique and valuable to CAP as to eminently qualify him or her for promotion ahead of his or her peers. Areas of consideration are age, professional qualifications, unique business experience, association with other governmental or aviation agencies, educational background, community stature, civic endeavors, prior CAP service, etc. In such cases, the commander concerned must request a waiver of applicable promotion eligibility criteria through channels from the region commander or National Promotion Review Board as appropriate. See paragraph 1-8d for complete details on requesting waivers.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

stimpy4242

phil@philipdepalo.com

flyerthom

Quote from: stimpy4242 on August 22, 2009, 06:18:14 PM
I want to see if anyone else has experience with this process.  Specifically educational and professional background experience, NOT MILITARY experience.

I have attended over 300 hours of national curriculum classes for the fire department, many of which are accredited for post graduate credits.  I also have a MS degree as well as a doctoral student.  I am an advanced practice paramedic as well as a private pilot.  I just attended SLS and sat thinking that it was SO BASIC and this is something I did in the fire department 10 years ago.  Since then I have taken Fire Officer Courses up to levels of managing entire fire departments.

I am seeking the rank of Capt.  Given my ability to provide transcripts and documentation for all the above does this seem reasonable or difficult to achieve?

I have a Bachelors as well as an RN and years as an EMT. I also carry certs as CEN, prehospital RN and CFRN. Within my scope are all the things you mention along with central lines except sutures. I did not get advanced grade.  Didn't hurt what I get from CAP anyway. I suppose I could have pushed the issue but as I said, I enjoy the program .
Rank isn't as important as what you get out of the program.    Take what you can get and dig in.
TC

MSG Mac

Your experience as an instrucor at the U of Md's Fire academy, may enable you to be appointed to the grade of Captain. You are going to have to send a letter from the University, certifying your employment as an instructor and a copy of your Master's degree. Since this is a "Professional Appointment"under AEO you must also be assigned as an AEO. CAPF2 should be forwarded through channels to WIng and than on to National, If all goes right it will take about a month.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Hawk200

This one reminds me of a person that came to a meeting, stayed a while, and at the end of the meeting asked, "What can CAP do for me?".

Talked to him for awhile, but he didn't seem interested in making any contribution. Just wanted to know what was in it for him, and what rank he could get. Even thought that he'd be eligible for higher rank since he was aircrew.

By the time it was done, I discouraged him from returning. Wasn't hard, just let him know that he had to bring something to the table, but he just didn't see that.

stimpy4242

Wow I appreciate the positive message in the post above...you're right, I guess I don't have anything to offer.  Thank you for setting me straight.
phil@philipdepalo.com

lordmonar

Quote from: stimpy4242 on August 23, 2009, 02:01:52 AM
lordmonar, sorry whose statement?

LtCol57's comment that you only get one waiver per career.

It is not in the regulation and I know of at least one that occured in FLWG in the last 5 years or so.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

stimpy4242

Oh ok, yeah it doesn't make sense that you couldn't have more than one.
phil@philipdepalo.com

IceNine

You should step back and look at your responses so far.  As a unit commander I can tell you that while not phrased exactly how I would phrase them, these are the same questions you are going to be asked.

If you respond with the same flippant attitude you will probably be offered a seat in the back of the room and wind up waiting out the full TIG, at least that is how it would work in my unit.

A well thought out, emotionally detached, factual answer is going to get you the grade you deserve whether that equates to SM or Lt. Col is completely up to your responses, your unit commander ,and their willingness to present your case to the appropriate approving authorities.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

CadetProgramGuy

It is of interest that in CAPR35-5.....

a. After initial appointment, professional personnel may be eligible for future promotions by satisfying the requirements outlined in paragraph 2-1, except:

(1) Health service personnel and legal officers are exempt from senior member training requirements after Level I.

stimpy4242

I did notice that, I wonder if you could infer that professional development wouldn't be necessary...

Anyhow, I realize my answers on a open forum are going to be worded differently then with my commander.  The forum allows for people to go on rants and raves and get yelled at...thats part of the fun of reading them.
phil@philipdepalo.com