New CAPF 104..... FINALLY!

Started by ande.boyer, August 19, 2009, 04:42:01 PM

ande.boyer

The new CAPF 104 is posted under the Pubs & Forms section of www.capmembers.com.  I suspect it got posted when they rolled out the new 60-3.

It looks like a pretty extensive revision. I'm still looking over it but it looks like many changes for the better. I noticed that there's now a "104" button next to the sorties in WMIRS. It looks like they've set it up so a crew can debrief over the phone and the debriefing officer is entering their 104 informtion into WMIRS as he goes....pretty cool IMO.

-ande

Short Field

Also a new CAPF 104a and CAPF 104b.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

TXCAP

After a very quick review they seem to be thorough and they seem to match what appears in the new 104 tab in WMIRS.  However I find no guidance as to whether or not it is mandatory that these forms be used in place of the various editions of Wing specific 104s. 

Now if they would just make them available in Word instead of PDF they would be even more useful.

Short Field

There is no # in front of the form number in the forms section.  That means prior editions can not be used.  IMHO, until the Wing gets a new form approved to match the new 104, the old Wing forms are obsolete as well.  60-1 makes no provisions for Wing forms.

CAPR 60-3 1-16(d)(3) Aircrews will not self-dispatch; they must be properly released, even remotely via phone or other means if necessary, and noted appropriately on a CAPF 104, Mission Flight Plan/Briefing Form; 107, Flight Operations Log; and other mission documents, as appropriate. Signatures are not required on the CAPF 104, but the CAPF 104 must note who briefed and released the crew accordingly.
Wilson #2640

Short Field

It is too early to tell but this appears to be part of a major leap in the requirement for accurate and timely reporting.   It could be the reason there are no Word versions of the forms is that they expect them to be created and printed out on WMIRS. 

Read the instructions for the forms!  It implies that once a sortie is released (which must take place on WMIRS), then you can not go back and fill in and add to the briefing section.  Once the debriefing is completed, you can not change anything.  You can go back and add (with the date/time of the addition) to the form, but not change any prior information. 
Wilson #2640

Short Field

IMU3 uses the new 104.  However, IMU3 currently does not have the ability to allow a flight release to be moved to WMIRs.  I haven't tried it yet so I don't know if the IMU3 will also have the ability to move the 104 data to the WMIRS 104.  I don't know if it will be a requirement for the 104 data to be entered into WMIRS or if the Wing can maintain the 104 data separately.  Time will tell...
Wilson #2640

sparks

A WMIRS only sortie release ignores the possibility of no internet access. There must be an option to use the in-person manual release when the internet is down or not available. If storm damage could create power and internet outages. Portable generators and batteries will operator the radios, lights and computers but won't fix the internet or phones.

Short Field

From the last update of IMU2:

The implication is that the ability to release a sortie using any other mechanism will no longer exist and if no internet connection to the WMIRS is available to the FRO in real time, no release can be generated. In an earlier statement, the NHQ staff indicated that, in the event of no internet capability, the NOC could be contacted using HF radio and would input the data.
Wilson #2640

Strick

[darn]atio memoriae

Eclipse

Quote from: sparks on August 20, 2009, 05:21:16 PM
A WMIRS only sortie release ignores the possibility of no internet access. There must be an option to use the in-person manual release when the internet is down or not available. If storm damage could create power and internet outages. Portable generators and batteries will operator the radios, lights and computers but won't fix the internet or phones.

Call or radio someone with internet access - NHQ is issuing hundreds of mobile HF packs, so long-distance communications appears to soon be a non-issue.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarMaster

It seems like a great plan untill all hell breaks loose with a major disaster, then there is no phone, internet...  What if your in Florida Wing near the panhandle and your too close to talk to the NOC Via HF.  What if its a lifesaving mission?  we have to wait to get on the net?  NHQ needs to get thier stuff together.   Its going to be fun when NHQ wont let IMU access WMIRS anymore...looks like we better break out the pens ans paperwork....oh wait  how do we do that again? So what good is an FRO and IC?...next step is the NOC is going to take over tactical control of all assets!
Semper Gumby!

jimmydeanno

Quote from: SarMaster on August 20, 2009, 07:00:18 PM
Its going to be fun when NHQ wont let IMU access WMIRS anymore...looks like we better break out the pens ans paperwork....oh wait  how do we do that again?

Yeah, that's so tragic. 

I honestly can't say our wing has ever had a successful deployment of IMU.  They spend hours setting up all the wing laptops with the current versions, databases, etc.  Then, nothing works, the interface is so messed up that nobody can find anything and we end up using paper.

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Short Field

I have seen more "goat ropes" than effective training on the IMU.  Major mistake Number One is to try and have them linked on a LAN or the internet. 

I recommend starting out by making sure the computer has the IMU properly installed (not hard to do, just follow the instructions) and then ran in Local Mode.  That gives each person the chance to make all the entries and eliminates one computer waiting for another computer for an input.    Plus one person can't screw it up for the rest of the students. 

You can also accelerate things by building a incident, loading crews, tasks, etc, in advance and then making a copy of the database to be loaded on each of the students computers in the Local Mode for training.

You also need to be aware that you have three major training areas:  (1) computer literacy issues, (2) IMU knobology/syntex for different functional areas, and (3) qualification in a specific Ops Qual.   
Wilson #2640

SarMaster

We haven't  had a major issue with IMU.  We found that 80% of the problems is operator error.  In a large deployment you do need to have a dedicated IT geek on hand to help with the networking.  Most CAP members cant spell LAN or WLAN!  We had over 25 PCs connected for our past SAREVAL with no major issues.    It all comes down to training!

As long as you have connection to the web and a server you can connect to its cake!
Semper Gumby!

Short Field

Quote from: Short Field on August 20, 2009, 07:44:02 PM
Major mistake Number One is to try and have them linked on a LAN or the internet. 
Quote from: SarMaster on August 27, 2009, 08:26:13 PM
We had over 25 PCs connected for our past SAREVAL with no major issues.   

Same here.  Our local mission base has 12 computers ready to support ops.  We routinely use them as well as other computers scattered about the state.

Just to clarify - you need to use Local mode when you start training people. Once you get them trained up to perform the basics and their functional area, you definitely need to go to a LAN/WAN so  they learn to interface with others.   At a properly manned and functioning Mission Base, you have a lot of people working at their own tasks.  It takes training for folks to realize who is responsible for the various inputs and updates - and to leave the OPR to it.    The word that comes to mind is "teamwork".       
Wilson #2640

BK

Quote from: sparks on August 20, 2009, 05:21:16 PM

Just keep a CAPF 99 in your pocket.  If you are not near a computer, release the flight on the CAPF 99 and enter it in WMIRS when you can.  Eventually, the CAPF 99 will go away.

BTW, there is also a smart-phone app that will be available on 1 Oct for flight release.
William E. Kay, Colonel, CAP
Commander, ND Wing

Eclipse

Quote from: BK on September 07, 2009, 08:58:55 PM
BTW, there is also a smart-phone app that will be available on 1 Oct for flight release.

Smartphone or iPhone.   There's a huge difference.

As long as there's a signal, phones with real browsers don't need special apps for web applications.

BTW - I believe under the new system a paper 99 is not an option.

"That Others May Zoom"

sparks

I hope the comment about paper 99's not being an option in the new system is incorrect. Eclipse, can you point me to where in the new system you think paper 99's are eliminated?  I have read it once but not studied the new rules. Surely there are many nuances buried in the text.

Eclipse

FRO ICL date 23 July 09:  http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/2009_07_23_FROs_27815180D4D04.pdf

From the letter:

"...1. On 1 October 2009 CAP will begin using a new electronic flight release process through the Web Mission Information Reporting System (WMIRS). Flight Release Officers (FROs) will accomplish most of the pre-release checks by referring to a WMIRS data screen that will be linked to Ops Quals. All Pilots-in-Command will still be required to speak with an FRO to discuss the IM SAFE items and any other mission critical topics. To ensure CAP is ready to implement the new electronic flight release process on 1 October, it is necessary to start tracking FROs in Ops Quals. I ask that you review and approve your FROs in Ops Quals by 30 September using the procedures described below. More details on the electronic flight release process will be made available at the national conference in September..."

"That Others May Zoom"

sparks

Thanks,

I have used the cell phone and paper 99's ever since I was appointed an FRO. I've received requests from pilots on my cell while I was out of state, driving down the road, in airports etc. Pilots usually don't know where an FRO is at any given time.
All of that could be history if the process change is as described. I'm hopeful that the additional instructions/guidance promissed for this month will recognize the need for paper releases as a starting point when a computer and internet isn't available