National SAR Competition

Started by Chris Jacobs, June 14, 2006, 03:46:44 AM

Chris Jacobs

Today i was looking in the uniform manual and i found a reference that talked about a national SAR competition patch.  I have never heard of the national SAR competition before.  Has any one else heard of the competition.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

Matt

Once upon a time I heard of it...

They (as in CAP) used to hold region SAR Comps.  Again, that was once upon a time.  Or at least to my knowledge.
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

TDHenderson

I can scan my National SARCOMP patch from 1986 and post if so you can see what it looks like. 

It is a shame, we used to train like crazy for the Wing and Region comps in the 80's.  Making it to Whiteman AFB for the National SARCOMP was quite a thrill.

Chris Jacobs

The picture of the patch is still in 39-1.  I wish it still exsisted.  I would really love to do it.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

Matt

Well, Chris, if you feel really up to it...

Propose something and send it up the chain... I think the largest part is the funding.  It's hard enough to find funding for national cadet comp from each respective wing... I can't say I wouldn't want to see it or play in it, but it boils down to the person with the pockets - The Air Force.

Chris Jacobs

I would love to take that on as a project.  But i don't think i will have the time for that scale of a project for the next decade.  I might try to see about getting one just for my wing, and then i guess it could become a regional thing, and then national.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

ZigZag911

I believe something is in the works -- near term, say within the next year -- for region competitions.

I'm not sure if this is individual regions acting on their own, or a national effort.

The SARCOMPs in the 80s were a great training motivator, and morale booster....it did take an awful lot of intense effort.....might be better if the competitons were every other year, or even every three years (I'm talking national here).

Matt

Quote from: Chris Jacobs on June 14, 2006, 09:06:44 PM
I would love to take that on as a project.  But i don't think i will have the time for that scale of a project for the next decade.  I might try to see about getting one just for my wing, and then i guess it could become a regional thing, and then national.

Amen to that.

Chris Jacobs

What kind of things did the competition include.  how did they judge things.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

ZigZag911

In the 80s it focused mainly on field work....air search techniques,
ground team ops, air/ground coordination.....kind of light on mission management evaluation, but it was a very different ball game in the 80s....we were just getting into ELTs in a big way, and ES training and qualifications, while fine on paper, were somewhat loosely applied for mission management and base personnel....aircrew & ground team training, even then, were quite rather rigorous, which is as it should be!

TDHenderson

Quote from: ZigZag911 on June 20, 2006, 02:37:57 AM
In the 80s it focused mainly on field work....air search techniques,
ground team ops, air/ground coordination.....kind of light on mission management evaluation, but it was a very different ball game in the 80s....we were just getting into ELTs in a big way, and ES training and qualifications, while fine on paper, were somewhat loosely applied for mission management and base personnel....aircrew & ground team training, even then, were quite rather rigorous, which is as it should be!

Yep, also Witness Interview and Ground Team individual and vehicle equipment inventory
were also evaluated areas. 

ELTHunter

I think TN Wg used to have Ground Team competitions once upon a time.  I think they went by the way side because it was felt that they contributed to too much competition between squadrons, and not to the team work concept.
Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170
Deputy Commander of Cadets
Emergency Services Officer

Chris Jacobs

I have heard rumors that the national SAR competition may be comming back this next year.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

mawr

I've heard the same.  Well, at least there will be a SER competition.
Rick Hasha, Lt Col CAP

BillB

So there will be a SER SAR. If it includes Search Environmental Elements it would be
SER SAR SEE, good title for a song
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

mawr

Quote from: BillB on November 08, 2006, 04:29:48 PM
So there will be a SER SAR. If it includes Search Environmental Elements it would be
SER SAR SEE, good title for a song

;D ;D :clap:
Rick Hasha, Lt Col CAP

Johnny Yuma

Quote from: Chris Jacobs on November 08, 2006, 03:26:12 PM
I have heard rumors that the national SAR competition may be comming back this next year.

Look for one in 2008, that seems to be the date batted around. Apparently NER and SEr are having Region SARCOMPS next year to guage participation.

One of the locations being looked at for National SARCOMP is Salina, KS. due to the central location, available facilities and military support. Stay tuned
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

Chris Jacobs

I know that my wing has been batting the idea around also.  Is there any thing from national yet that is official.  Any rumors on whether the national comp will be like the old ones that every one seems to remember in my wing or are there going to be some new additions. 

I saw some of the SARCOMP trophies last weekend when i was at my wing headquarters.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

RiverAux

I don't know about competitions, but I've heard talk of starting to focus on holding multi-Wing SAREXs, which I think would be of much more use to CAP than a competition. 

Chris Jacobs

Pacific region did some stuff this last year.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron