NYCG CAC teleconference

Started by BTCS1*, June 05, 2009, 04:10:05 AM

BTCS1*

The first NYCG CAC teleconference is on 10JUN09, it will be the first teleconference as well as my first CAC meeting.First off, are any other captalk members gonna be taking part? And secondly, what goes on at a CAC meeting? any tips? Thanks
C/2d Lt. B. Garelick, CAP

DC

Quote from: BTCS1* on June 05, 2009, 04:10:05 AM
The first NYCG CAC teleconference is on 10JUN09, it will be the first teleconference as well as my first CAC meeting.First off, are any other captalk members gonna be taking part? And secondly, what goes on at a CAC meeting? any tips? Thanks
Are you a CAC representative, or are you just listening in for the experience?

If you are a rep, know what is going on in your squadron, and think about what the cadets in your unit what to see more on on a wing level, whether it be activities, support, whatever.

CAC is a great way to see what CAP is beyond your squadron, as well as a great way to connect and meet people from other units. Not only do you get to network, but you can also see what other squadrons are doing, good and bad, which can help you improve your squadron. Being on the CAC is a phenomenal opportunity, come prepared, and ready to share and learn.

BTCS1*

Thank you for the info, and myself, along with another cadet, will be my squadrons reps. I think it will be great because my group hass little communication.

BrandonKea

BTCS1*,

Have you read the corresponding CAC Handbook, CAPP 52-19? (http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/P052_019_1584425C1735C.pdf)

That's a good place to start. The teleconference aspect of CAC work is tough, I personally was never a fan when we tried it on the NEWG CAC, or the NCR CAC. Just remember, put your .02 in when appropriate, and stay on task. Don't get off subject, CAC time is often wasted in Tangent-land. And importantly, PUT YOUR INPUT IN! that's the point of the CAC is to provide feedback from your cadets. Do you have any topics that you want addressed at a higher level? Bring those up! Cadets keep complaining about stuff? Air that to your comrades in the CAC, maybe they're having the same problems.

PM me if you have any questions, I have some expertise in that area...
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

BTCS1*

I'll look at that and start writing down things to be adressed, I will be second in command next year and the cadet who will be first and I have been friends since 3rd grade and have been speaking about things we want to change, this seems like the time to adress them. Thanks again for the advice, I didn't know there was a CAC handbook(and I have a rep in my squadron for knowing the regs!)

BrandonKea

Quote from: BTCS1* on June 05, 2009, 05:38:18 AM
I'll look at that and start writing down things to be adressed, I will be second in command next year and the cadet who will be first and I have been friends since 3rd grade and have been speaking about things we want to change, this seems like the time to adress them. Thanks again for the advice, I didn't know there was a CAC handbook(and I have a rep in my squadron for knowing the regs!)

You'll be second in command of your squadron? or the CAC?
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

BTCS1*

Squadron, our command staff is graduating so its more or less a fresh start. This will be my first CAC meeting.

BrandonKea

Just make sure your CAPF2a is filled out documenting you are the CAC Rep, either alternate or primary, whichever the case is.
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

BTCS1*

Will do, and do you wear ribbon/cord during your ''term''? Wait, isn't  that the 2b? LOL joking

BrandonKea

Quote from: BTCS1* on June 05, 2009, 05:54:57 AM
Will do, and do you wear ribbon/cord during your ''term''? Wait, isn't  that the 2b? LOL joking

Wear the cord ONLY during your term. When you're not on the CAC anymore, you don't get the cord.

Wear the ribbon AFTER successful completion of your term.

Also, the link to the reg is fixed, the one posted above will help you more than the Cadet Staff Guide :-) (My bad)
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

BTCS1*

LOL, okay. SO you trade it in for a ribbon. And what's the color of the group cord? I recall hearing green. So how is it run in teleconference format?

BrandonKea

Quote from: BTCS1* on June 05, 2009, 06:06:32 AM
LOL, okay. SO you trade it in for a ribbon. And what's the color of the group cord? I recall hearing green. So how is it run in teleconference format?

Not always. You can always get kept over for a second term, or get elected to Wing and so forth. The higher echelon CAC's have some service requirements (i.e. to be on NCAC, you must be a Phase 4 Cadet). So you could have the cord, and the ribbon, simultaneously.

But yes, Green is for the Primary at Group level.

And teleconferences usually have some level of difficulty involved in them, especially if this is your first CAC meeting.
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

BTCS1*

BrandonKea

Quote from: BTCS1* on June 05, 2009, 06:16:03 AM
How long is a term?

Per CAPR 52-16 Ch 3-4.a., 2 years at each echelon
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

DC

Quote from: BrandonKea on June 05, 2009, 06:24:27 AM
How long is a term?

No, a term consists of one year, but cadets are eligible to serve up to two terms at each echelon. Kinda like the president is elected to serve for four years, but may serve up to 10, circumstances permitting.

And BTCS1*, just to be clear, only the Primary Representative is allowed to wear the cord and earn the ribbon. That seems to be a common source of confusion...

BrandonKea

Quote from: DC on June 05, 2009, 04:08:36 PM
Quote from: BrandonKea on June 05, 2009, 06:24:27 AM
How long is a term?

No, a term consists of one year, but cadets are eligible to serve up to two terms at each echelon. Kinda like the president is elected to serve for four years, but may serve up to 10, circumstances permitting.

And BTCS1*, just to be clear, only the Primary Representative is allowed to wear the cord and earn the ribbon. That seems to be a common source of confusion...

lol, I must have un typed that sentence somehow. Yeah 1 year, 2 terms are the MAX at each echelon.
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

AvroArrow

If it means anything, you could also suggest, during your teleconference, to use Skype the next meeting. Skype will let you send files between each other and it may be easier to regulate chatter.

Also, serving as a Primary rep last year and the recorder this year for KSWG CAC (wing-level), I can say that it helps to pay attention as if you were in class. Take notes on important things so you can pass information to/from your squadron and be involved in conversations. After all, it is a council;D

I also feel bad for whoever your recorder is... making minutes while talking on the phone is tough.

DC

Quote from: AvroArrow on June 06, 2009, 08:36:35 PM
I also feel bad for whoever your recorder is... making minutes while talking on the phone is tough.
That's why you take simple notes during the meeting and make it look pretty later...

BrandonKea

Quote from: DC on June 06, 2009, 09:16:50 PM
Quote from: AvroArrow on June 06, 2009, 08:36:35 PM
That's why you take simple notes during the meeting and make it look pretty later...

Bingo. The biggest help when I was a recorder was audio taping all our meetings. That way if my notes didn't help jog my memory, the audio did.

Not a bad idea on Skype, is that free for everyone?
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

AvroArrow

Quote from: BrandonKea on June 07, 2009, 04:08:56 AM
Bingo. The biggest help when I was a recorder was audio taping all our meetings. That way if my notes didn't help jog my memory, the audio did.

Not a bad idea on Skype, is that free for everyone?

I might try the audio idea :)

As for Skype, it's free for basic usage. If you'd like to use Skype for phone calls, it's actually chepaer than using a cell phone.

edit: Basic usage means you can do everything but call people by phone through the program.