Questionable Testing Practices

Started by DBlair, June 04, 2009, 10:27:50 PM

RogueLeader

When I was a Testing Officer, if they failed the test ( by any # of wrong answers), they got a list of regrences that they needed to study.  If the test was passed, but not 100%, we discussed which questions that were missed, and what the correct answer is.  That being said, the score they earned was the score that was recorded.  We reviewed the material so that they next time they saw it, they should have remembered the information.

At no point did the Sq/CC or DCC have any imput into the Testing Section, other than who was the OIC.  we informed them if there was an outstanding test given (say 100% on a milestone etc) or a bad thing (C/SrA Smith failed wright Brothers for the 3rd time- that type of thing).

Over all we had a good group of Cadets, they always did pretty good.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

notaNCO forever

In my squadron if the correct score or higher to pass is not achieved the cadet is not passed. If they pass and do not get a hundred they correct it to a hundred, but the original score is the score used. If the cadet continues having trouble passing a cadet officer mentors them.

majdomke

Quote from: notaNCO forever on June 05, 2009, 09:18:30 PM
In my squadron if the correct score or higher to pass is not achieved the cadet is not passed. If they pass and do not get a hundred they correct it to a hundred, but the original score is the score used. If the cadet continues having trouble passing a cadet officer mentors them.
+1 :clap:

LtCol057

When I was the Testing Officer for my unit, Like RogueLeader, I gave them a list of references for them to study. I didn't tell them what question they missed, just what section they needed to restudy.  Then at the next meeting, they could retest. If they passed, but didn't get 100%, they also got a list of references they needed to brush up on.  It took a little more time to write up, but wasn't really that hard, just a simple form letter.

I had a couple of cadets that either had ADD or were dyslexic. I'd give them the choice about the tests. They could read it or I would administer it orally.  Most wanted to read it themselves the first time. 

If a cadet had failed a test 3x, before they could test again, I would check to see that they had completed the questions in the book.  If they hadn't, they were not given the test until they had.

BrandonKea

Quote from: LtCol057 on June 05, 2009, 10:57:02 PM
When I was the Testing Officer for my unit, Like RogueLeader, I gave them a list of references for them to study. I didn't tell them what question they missed, just what section they needed to restudy.  Then at the next meeting, they could retest. If they passed, but didn't get 100%, they also got a list of references they needed to brush up on.  It took a little more time to write up, but wasn't really that hard, just a simple form letter.

I had a couple of cadets that either had ADD or were dyslexic. I'd give them the choice about the tests. They could read it or I would administer it orally.  Most wanted to read it themselves the first time. 

If a cadet had failed a test 3x, before they could test again, I would check to see that they had completed the questions in the book.  If they hadn't, they were not given the test until they had.

WIWAC, that was how things were. Missed questions, pass or fail, were directed to the reference for further study (we got ours on a sticky note usually instead of a form letter, TEHO). Reading the test to cadets seems to be a fair compromise for those who need it.
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP