Space Shuttle Atlantis STS-125 landed at EDW/DFRC

Started by MikeD, May 24, 2009, 08:11:53 PM

MikeD

Atlantis landed today at Dryden/Edwards, and it was an awesome day for a landing.  A bunch of people from work and I got as close as was physical possible to the runway, and it touched down right in front of us :)

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

DC

As requested...

There is a gallery covering the entire mission here.

SJFedor

Is it just me or does it look like Atlantis needs a new coat of paint?

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

NIN

Quote from: SJFedor on May 25, 2009, 05:27:45 AM

One trip into space and they look like that. 
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

CadetProgramGuy

Saw this and my wife commented....Look!! They have time to play flight simulator's in space!!

"Occupying the commander's station, STS-125 Pilot Gregory C. Johnson, uses the Portable In-Flight Landing Operations Trainer (PILOT) on the flight deck of Atlantis.  PILOT consists of a laptop computer and a joystick system, which helps to maintain a high level of proficiency for the end-of-mission approach and landing tasks required to bring the shuttle safely back to Earth."

DC

Quote from: SJFedor on May 25, 2009, 05:27:45 AM
1500o C temps on re-entry can do that...

BrandonKea

Anyone know their route of travel back to the Cape? We had a shuttle stop at Offutt a few years back after an Edwards landing, and I didn't get to see it. Hopefully they make a return trip...
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

PHall

Usually depends on the weather along the route. They will not fly through rain.
And they're only flying at 18,000 feet (aka FL 180) so they usually can't overfly most thunder storms.
The route is usually set about 24 hours in advance, subject to change...