Main Menu

NJROTC to CAP

Started by Sharp92, April 25, 2009, 02:01:08 AM

Sharp92

Hi All

I am about to join a local CAP unit and I had a few questions. I am a current 3rd year NJROTC cadet, a platoon leader, and chief petty officer ( about to be make Ensign). I have attended numerous boot camps, and attended the 2008 NJROTC leadership academy. Just wondering if I will afforded any additional responsibilities/promotions because of if. I honestly have no problem starting out on the bottom (again.....), I am excited to get into the program and I realize I am joining relativley late compared to others. thanks!

Stonewall

You will have to join and go through the program just like everyone else.  Unless things have changed, only AFJROTC allows for accelerated promotion through the enlisted ranks.

Instead of having to wait a minimum of 2 months, AFJROTC cadets are allowed to promote every month.  There are other rules and guidelines associated, but in a nutshell that's it.
Serving since 1987.

Sharp92

Understandable. The instructor I spoke to made it sound like he wanted to bend the rules for me...and AFJROTC are alloted that eh? No love for the navy....

Stonewall

Quote from: Sharp92 on April 25, 2009, 02:06:46 AM
Understandable. The instructor I spoke to made it sound like he wanted to bend the rules for me...

That instructor would be kicked out of CAP for bending rules like that.  No one is so special that they get to bypass anything.  In fact, I disagree with allowing AFJROTC to advance more rapidly than other cadets.

Would NJROTC allow you to advance quicker if you were a CAP member?  It's a two way street.
Serving since 1987.

RiverAux

Look at it this way, you've probably already learned a bunch of the skills you might need as a CAP cadet so you should still be able to move up fairly quickly unlike others who might need to work more on the stuff you already know.   

Stonewall

Reminds me of another thread that we discussed today.
Serving since 1987.

Sharp92

Well to be honest we would attempt to give you youre equivalent CAP rank as long as it wasn't higher than anyone else in your class. But I realize JROTC promotions are not nationally mandated, they vary by school. And as I said before I have no problem working my way up again...maybe I'll learn a thing or two I missed ;)

NC Hokie

Sorry gang, but unless there's a new 52-16 in the works, NJROTC cadets are accorded the same courtesy as their AFJROTC counterparts.

CAPR 52-16, 1 Oct 2006:
6-1. CAP Policy For Junior Reserve Officers’ Training Corps Credit.   The CAP Cadet
Program and JROTC organizations of the armed services (Air Force JROTC, Army JROTC, Navy
JROTC, and Marine Corps JROTC) are complementary and  mutually supporting.  CAP
encourages support of JROTC through dual membership of CAP cadets whenever possible.

a. Accelerated Promotions.  Cadets who possess two or more years of JROTC
experience may qualify for accelerated promotions in CAP.  These cadets fulfill the usual
requirements for each achievement and milestone award (see chapter 2) under the supervision of
CAP personnel, but are waived from the standard time-in-grade requirements, as shown below.
To request a milestone award under the accelerated promotion program, cadets follow the
procedures found in chapter 2, but also must  attach to their completed CAPF 52 a memo
endorsed by their JROTC instructor certifying they successfully completed 2 or more years of
JROTC.

BTW, I agree with Stonewall in that I'd wish that NHQ would just drop this entire policy.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Sharp92

Thank you for diggin that up. Whatever the case is I hope I can find a seond home in the CAP

tarheel gumby

Best of luck to you. When I was in NJROTC I never got past C/CPO... but it did help with my CAP cadet stuff :clap:
Joseph Myers Maj. CAP
Squadron Historian MER NC 019
Historian MER NC 001
Historian MER 001

Sharp92

Well...I'm not so much concerned about having the rank as I am being able to use and teach what I have learned from NJROTC. Could I do all that at such a low level? Lead by example and such....or do just have to suck it up and wait my turn   8)

NC Hokie

Quote from: Sharp92 on April 25, 2009, 02:30:34 AM
Well...I'm not so much concerned about having the rank as I am being able to use and teach what I have learned from NJROTC. Could I do all that at such a low level? Lead by example and such....or do just have to suck it up and wait my turn   8)

You'll have to wait your turn.  Lead by example by showing the other C/AB and C/Amn what followership is all about and you'll have a leg up for the juicier slots as you advance in the program.

BTW, I'm an old NJROTC C/Lt; it's nice to have another junior swabbie aboard!  ;D
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Sharp92

It seems that the CAP is actually a refuge for former NJROTC officers... Well I agree with everything that's been said here. You won't here me complaining.  ;D

es_g0d

Mr. Sharp:
It appears to me that you have a realistic and good attitude about the CAP cadet program.  I can easily see you succeeding and doing well if you back that up with some hard work.  Burn it up!  Good luck.
Good luck and good hunting,
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net

USADOD

I was a AJROTC and MCJROTC C/Col, and I received my Eaker Award with assistance from the previously stated programs. As mentioned, you are given a reduced time in grade to advance in promotions. My word of advice is , that you shadow higher grades and seek a mentor, as the CAP cadet program can be very similar to JROTC programs but very different, dramatically different.

Hooah
Jorvon Brison, SFO, CAP
DCC, Detroit 100th "Red Tails" Composite Squadron
Wright Award  #3495
Mitchell Award #54039
Earhart Award #13385

Gunner C

JayT

Quote from: Sharp92 on April 25, 2009, 02:01:08 AM
Hi All

I am about to join a local CAP unit and I had a few questions. I am a current 3rd year NJROTC cadet, a platoon leader, and chief petty officer ( about to be make Ensign). I have attended numerous boot camps, and attended the 2008 NJROTC leadership academy. Just wondering if I will afforded any additional responsibilities/promotions because of if. I honestly have no problem starting out on the bottom (again.....), I am excited to get into the program and I realize I am joining relativley late compared to others. thanks!

I was enrolled in AFJROTC for most of my time as a CAP cadet, and we had several local NJROTC cadet's in and out of my cadet squadron.

Honestly? Wear your ribbons, keep your head down for a while, don't go all hard core by screaming 'Attention on Deck!' or anything, read the CAP drill and uniform manuals in advance so you understand the differences, and don't shy away from any additional duty you may be offered.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

es_g0d

Good luck and good hunting,
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net

Rob Sherlin

Any kind of JROTC is going to matter (maybe not as much as AFJROTC (but, that is our mentor "so to speak")! Other than others who haven't been through such, you probably allready know drills, have an idea on how the structure goes, and are a lot further a long than most. Most Commanders recognize this, and you will move ahead faster than the rest because of the skills you allready have..and it shows!

Welcome to CAP!
To fly freely above the earth is the ultimate dream for me in life.....For I do not wish to wait till I pass to earn my wings.

Rob Sherlin SM, NER-NY-116

Sharp92

Well I was thinking about this entire situation today, and I think it's good I'm starting from the bottom. Being in a leadership poaition in my JROTC unit, I can see what works and what dosent from a followers perspective... ;D