Main Menu

Communications Go Kit

Started by arajca, May 07, 2006, 06:50:30 PM

arajca

Does anyone have a Field Radio Kit or Communications Go Kit?

I am starting to put one together. Initially, it'll be personally funded, so it'll take some time. Attached is my planned kit. If you can think of something I'm missing, let me know. I don't want the kit to be too heavy.

The VHF/FM radio I'll have in a couple weeks (free - Motorola Spectra 110w [wide band only]). I'm researching the mast hardware now, but I think I can get it for under $100. The antenna and cabling I haven't started on yet. I'm also looking for a 30amp power supply. I am also looking for a VHF/AM radio for the kit. The HF components will have to wait for a while.

A couple questions for the radio gods here...
I have seen insulators on guy wires. Are these necessary? And what do they do?

I'm looking at 24-30' mast, so what is the typical number of guy wire sets used?

Should the mast be grouned?

Thanks.

[attachment deleted by admin- older than one year]

Jerry

The wideband only radio will be become unauthorized soon (December?) so wouldn't that delay things.  But, hey, if I could get hold of a Spectra, I wouldn't turn it down! :D  Good 2 Meter ham rig!

Insulators.  Depends on what you are guying. If the object that you are supporting will have electricity or RF on it, then yes, the insulators would be needed. Also they also help prevent "resonant" grounds where the guys unintentionally become part of the radiating part of the antenna. While it might not cause trouble in a temporary install, the lack of them *could* cause all kinds of odd things to happen (squeals, howls, little shocks, or high SWR that won't seem to be cured)  The number of guys would depend on how "permanent" the install was and how well it is attached at the base.  Assuming that the base of your tower(?) or mast is firmly affixed at the base, 3 or 4 should do.

IMHO, grounding is always important from a standpoint of safety (see 100-1) and, at the very least, good practice in any situation which involves electricity or RF.  In fact, it often improves the signal, and all us radio operators crave the biggest signal on the air, right? ;)

Jerry

Chris Jacobs

Oregon has this cool radio set that we call a fly away kit.  I am not a technical genius nor do I know this little kit perfectly, so don't quote me on any of this.  It has a CAP and an Airband radio built into a small metal box, that contains the speakers and microphone holders.  It then has about 100 feet of cable for both radios that lead out to a small mast that sends the antennas up about 10 feet.  Not much for hight but then again the radio and cable fits into a water prof box that one man can carry and the mast and antennas fit inside a 5 foot long bag that another man can carry.  It is a fairly cool little set up that we use a lot.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

Eclipse

You'll have a hard time beating the go kits my Comm guy has - twin radios mounted in aircraft cases, gel cel batteries, the works.  I'll see if I can get him to post up photos and info.

As to the radio, assuming it is not already licensed, yo may want to ping you Dir of Comms before investing an time in it.  Many states are no longer allowing new wide-band licenses.  If the radio is already in the system with someone, maybe a transfer, but new equip (to the system) may be a problem.

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

The radio is coming from wing. It is one of a bunch we got from the IRS but never deployed.

I'm not looking to spend a fortune immediately. I know there are some impressive kits out there. If I had a couple grand to invest in it, I'd have an impressive kit. I'm looking at a basic operational kit.

The mast I'm looking at is probably going to be fiberglass, about 24' - 30' high with a tripod base. It will be portable and stored in a bag for transport. I've been told that I could use good quality rope for guying. The mast typically will not be up for more than a couple days, and may be taken down at night depending on the environment.

On gounding, since I am looking at a fiberglass mast, should I ground the plate the antenna is affixed to or the mast itself. I'm going to be ordering an antenna book from ARRL this week.

SKYKING607

Where I work (a state law enforcement agency), our "fly-away" kit is a TRUE "fly-away kit.

It's a "mac rack" military case with a VHF transmitter with internal AC power supply that are rack mounted.  http://www.cases2go.com

With the "kit" is a magnetic mounted VHF antenna with 25' lead.

The "kit" is also coupled with a UHF companion in the same configuration. 

This was created so that it is easily transportable via airline/helio or police vehicle.  Since our EOC's always have generator(s) power, the kits are set-up in about 15 minutes or so.

We've had no problems with using these kits in cases such as civil unrest, earth-quakes, and EOC drills.

An EXPENSIVE variant on this equipment is available from Daniels Electronics. 
http://www.danelec.com (look at products and packaging for the fly-away configuration).

CAWG Career Captain

arajca

I finished the construction stage for my radio set.

I used a Radio Shack 25A power supply and built a small rack for the radio body and power supply. The control head and speaker are mounted on a separate base that gets clamped to a table for stablity. The mast I am still working on.

Attached are  two pics of the unit. I bolted the radio tray to the rack and used 1.5" webbing to secure the power supply. The rack is made out of 1/4" plywood shelves with 1"x4" uprights. The power connectors are custom plug into radio and banana clips to power supply. Total materials cost - $10.00. Power supply - $100.

Chris Jacobs

C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

SKYKING607

CAWG Career Captain

KB3JUV

I've built a portable communications go kit.  You can see a presentation I made on it here:

www.kb3juv.com/winlink2k.htm

Also check out www.kb3juv.com/sharesexercise.htm for more pictures of it in use.

Justin Kates
DEMA

Becks

Wow, thats one nice looking mobile Comm trailer.

BBATW

Chris Jacobs

I really like the kit.  Great job.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

KB3JUV

Quote from: Becks on July 13, 2006, 06:12:48 PM
Wow, thats one nice looking mobile Comm trailer.

Yes I know, it isn't mine, it's this guys: www.armymars.net

Justin