Main Menu

Leather Nametag

Started by es_g0d, April 11, 2009, 10:56:09 PM

es_g0d

I came across this on the Vanguard website today:
http://www.vanguardmil.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=13583

This bothers me.  Vanguard is defacto writing uniform regulations because they are the only "endorsed" or "official" supplier of CAP uniform items. 

I have a twofold problem with their example nametag.  First, it doesn't conform to the norm by "stacking" badges left-to-right instead of above-and-below as we would expect.  What does 39-1 say about nametags?  Very little, unfortunately.  So Vanguard just splashes something on a piece of black leather and there you go, that's their official version.

As a reference, Page 34 of CAPR 39-1 says: 2. Leather Name Patch: Will include name, grade, and aeronautical rating. Patch will be centered on left breast above pocket.  Cloth name patch is not authorized.  If no aeronautical rating, a title such as "Mission Scanner" may be used.

Secondly, we've lost the specifics in 39-1 that stated exactly what was to be placed on the nametag.  Now its a free-for-all.  What specifically bothered me was that Vanguard specifically states that cadets will abbreviate their rank as "CDT."  Baloney.  39-1 used to specify "CADET" be written on the nametag.  That's in line with Other another prominent USAF cadet corps as well.

At the end of the day, nametags like this look clownish.  Our USAF brethren simply wonder, agape, at what we're thinking--even if we're following our regulations!  We need to be specific with the requirements for the nametag again, and have it conform to heritage and norm from our parent organization.

I must say that I am NOT Mr. Strict when it comes to uniforms.  As I've migrated from cadetdom long ago, I've stepped back to see the big picture.  People who know me would, hopefully, agree with this statement.  But even I have limits, and this one strikes a bad chord.
Good luck and good hunting,
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net

SJFedor

Scott, if you need a better source for CAP purposes, especially if you wanna do the "dual cool", let me know, i'll give you the secret squirrel address.  Plus you won't get charged nearly as bad as VG does.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

es_g0d

Thanks, Steve.  That's really not the point: my point is that the "official" source stinks and doesn't comply with our wants, desires, and heritage.
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net

Rob Sherlin

The leather name tags (brown with a black boarder) are used for the flight suits, flight jackets, and A1 type leather jackets approved for use with the CSU. If no "aeronautical rating" (wings) are approved, then the member just has their name on the first line, SR MBR  (rank) below that on the left, and CAP on the right (no wings). The CAP command patch is worn on the opposite breast.
  If you want to get your olives bunched up and get an attitude, we can always look at the posts where people wear flight suits to meetings when they're not going to be flying.
To fly freely above the earth is the ultimate dream for me in life.....For I do not wish to wait till I pass to earn my wings.

Rob Sherlin SM, NER-NY-116

SJFedor

Quote from: Rob Sherlin on April 11, 2009, 11:18:29 PM
The leather name tags (brown with a black boarder) are used for the flight suits, flight jackets, and A1 type leather jackets approved for use with the CSU. If no "aeronautical rating" (wings) are approved, then the member just has their name on the first line, SR MBR  (rank) below that on the left, and CAP on the right (no wings). The CAP command patch is worn on the opposite breast.
  If you want to get your olives bunched up and get an attitude, we can always look at the posts where people wear flight suits to meetings when they're not going to be flying.

No no no no no. The brown/black ones are used ONLY for the black leather CSU jacket. The smaller, solid black ones, as seen the OP's link, are the ones that should be on flight suits and flight jackets. And trust me when I say that Scott is very knowledgeable about flight suit wear as a professional. :)

And Scott, I sure do feel ya. You can find probably a hundred threads on here where we all have outlined VG's shortcomings and general uselessness. When NHQ ran the bookstore, then CAPMart, I heard some people had issues with them, but I never did, and they were a lot more responsive, cheaper, and more helpful then these guys are.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations

Gunner C

Quote from: Rob Sherlin on April 11, 2009, 11:18:29 PM
Negative.  The brown w/black border is only used on the leather jacket.

I'm not surprised that VG would get the stacking of badges wrong.  Not only is it wrong, but it looks like crap.  They are supposed to be one on top of the other - I can't understand what is so hard to figure out about that.  VG, IMO, is run by either dunces or they just don't care what the military norm/tradition is.  Strange for a military uniform/accoutrements company . . .

Rob Sherlin

Sorry, I have a leather flight jacket, and even when I don't wear the patches on it (hook and loop) in civilian clothes, I get a lot of "that's not allowed" comments when I know it's approved. I thought it was for every uniform that calls for the leather patch (my mistake). Hopefully, I'll earn a pair of wings to wear on it, if I can gather enough lint (with gold dust maybe) to afford it as a senior member.
To fly freely above the earth is the ultimate dream for me in life.....For I do not wish to wait till I pass to earn my wings.

Rob Sherlin SM, NER-NY-116

Eclipse

Quote from: Gunner C on April 11, 2009, 11:42:39 PM
I'm not surprised that VG would get the stacking of badges wrong.  Not only is it wrong, but it looks like crap.  They are supposed to be one on top of the other - I can't understand what is so hard to figure out about that. 

It probably not a "figure it out" issue, its likely they don't have the smaller insignia required for stacking, and their machines are probably already setup for making them like the rest of the services.

"That Others May Zoom"

SJFedor

Quote from: Eclipse on April 12, 2009, 12:22:57 AM
Quote from: Gunner C on April 11, 2009, 11:42:39 PM
I'm not surprised that VG would get the stacking of badges wrong.  Not only is it wrong, but it looks like crap.  They are supposed to be one on top of the other - I can't understand what is so hard to figure out about that. 

It probably not a "figure it out" issue, its likely they don't have the smaller insignia required for stacking, and their machines are probably already setup for making them like the rest of the services.

The rest of the services do stacked, not side by side.

Honestly, I think it's a total lack of instruction/direction from NHQ, so they kinda had to make it up as they go along. They can't screw up RealMil stuff because they have very strict guidelines to maintain for their insignia.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver

Eclipse

Quote from: SJFedor on April 12, 2009, 12:25:55 AM
The rest of the services do stacked, not side by side.

I've recently seen them side-by-side, but can't find the pics.  Usually honchos wearing a flight jacket.

Also, missile guys have their badge on the right of the lettering.

"That Others May Zoom"

Gunner C

Quote from: Rob Sherlin on April 11, 2009, 11:45:20 PM
Sorry, I have a leather flight jacket, and even when I don't wear the patches on it (hook and loop) in civilian clothes, I get a lot of "that's not allowed" comments when I know it's approved. I thought it was for every uniform that calls for the leather patch (my mistake). Hopefully, I'll earn a pair of wings to wear on it, if I can gather enough lint (with gold dust maybe) to afford it as a senior member.
Heck, I wear mine all the time.  No patches.  So do RM folks.  I'd politely ask them to apply sand to the point of contact of their choice . . . Without patches, it's just another leather jacket.

Eclipse

Quote from: Gunner C on April 12, 2009, 12:37:11 AM
Heck, I wear mine all the time.  No patches.  So do RM folks.  I'd politely ask them to apply sand to the point of contact of their choice . . . Without patches, it's just another leather jacket.

Civilian clothes at a non-CAP activity, no one should care.

With corporate uniforms?  Different story.  Split hairs all you want, but we, as CAP members, have a specific prohibition regarding mixing military uniform items with corporate combination.

Even if it doesn't have the mil-spec tag in it, if its got Velcro on it someone intended it to look military. and if it walks like a duck, etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

Chicago_Pilot

Strange...they patches don't even seem consistent:

The wings are centered vertically on the brown/black and justified to the top of the black-only patch.

SJFedor

Quote from: Chicago_Pilot on April 12, 2009, 12:43:17 AM

The wings are centered vertically on the brown/black and justified to the top of the black-only patch.

You're surprised?

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver

Hawk200

Quote from: es_g0d on April 11, 2009, 10:56:09 PM
I came across this on the Vanguard website today:
http://www.vanguardmil.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=13583

This bothers me.  Vanguard is defacto writing uniform regulations because they are the only "endorsed" or "official" supplier of CAP uniform items.

The other problem which people have mentioned is calling to make an order and on an item are told "that's not authorized". Same issue.

Quote from: es_g0d on April 11, 2009, 10:56:09 PMI have a twofold problem with their example nametag.  First, it doesn't conform to the norm by "stacking" badges left-to-right instead of above-and-below as we would expect.  What does 39-1 say about nametags?  Very little, unfortunately.  So Vanguard just splashes something on a piece of black leather and there you go, that's their official version.

It's done that way so that the manufacturer doesn't need to maintain more than one set of dies per insignia. Stamp them side by side at full size, no additional dies needed, cheaper.

Standard size badges look OK, it gets a little funky looking when it's a wing and a badge. Two sets of wings definitely look better one over the other (got a set for grins, and no I don't wear them).

Looks OK? Yeah, it's alright, but nothing to write home about. Easier for the manfacturer? Sure is, and cheaper too. Is it right? Certainly not.

Quote from: es_g0d on April 11, 2009, 10:56:09 PMAs a reference, Page 34 of CAPR 39-1 says: 2. Leather Name Patch: Will include name, grade, and aeronautical rating. Patch will be centered on left breast above pocket.  Cloth name patch is not authorized.  If no aeronautical rating, a title such as “Mission Scanner” may be used.

Secondly, we've lost the specifics in 39-1 that stated exactly what was to be placed on the nametag.  Now its a free-for-all.  What specifically bothered me was that Vanguard specifically states that cadets will abbreviate their rank as "CDT."  Baloney.  39-1 used to specify "CADET" be written on the nametag.  That's in line with Other another prominent USAF cadet corps as well.

I couldn't find it either. I do remember the "CADET" designation from before, but you're right, it doesn't get specific like it did before. There's nothing about proper abbreviations for the flightsuit nametags like there was in previous editions of the manual.

Quote from: es_g0d on April 11, 2009, 10:56:09 PMAt the end of the day, nametags like this look clownish.  Our USAF brethren simply wonder, agape, at what we're thinking--even if we're following our regulations!  We need to be specific with the requirements for the nametag again, and have it conform to heritage and norm from our parent organization.

Clownish is a matter of opinion. I can tell you for a fact that when the Air Force wore the leather nametag (the Air Force's designation) on the BDU, there were a large number of personnel that wore two badges in a side by side manner. If someone is enaging in the practice, no matter how much it's not legal, they aren't going to consider it clownish.

As for being specific, I completely agree. It's needs to be spelled out. Even the current AFI 36-2903 is not specific with the exact arrangement of the information on the tag. And reading further, it really only mentions a single badge.

If two tags side by side would be authorized, then our manual needs to say so. Does it need to say that it's allowed because that's what Vanguard can offer most conveniently? Not just no, but Hell No! They meet our needs, they produce insignia to our specifications, they provide a quality to our satisfaction, not their own.

If they aren't willing to do that, we need divest ourselves of them, and locate someone to do business with that will. Being the only game in town leads to a company despising it's customers. And treating customers in that manner is morally and ethically wrong, and possibly legally (someone probably knows how true that is, I wouldn't have the slightest clue where to look for it).

Personally, I still think their "exclusive" contract is a violation of fair competition laws somehow. Just wish I knew where to start.

Chicago_Pilot

Quote from: SJFedor on April 12, 2009, 12:48:35 AMYou're surprised?

Yep, I just joined in February!

Gunner C

Quote from: Eclipse on April 12, 2009, 12:42:23 AM

With corporate uniforms?  Different story.  Split hairs all you want, but we, as CAP members, have a specific prohibition regarding mixing military uniform items with corporate combination.

Even if it doesn't have the mil-spec tag in it, if its got Velcro on it someone intended it to look military. and if it walks like a duck, etc.
Isn't he talking about the black CAP leather flight jacket?  They're made to be worn with corporate uniforms.

Eclipse

Quote from: Gunner C on April 12, 2009, 12:59:19 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on April 12, 2009, 12:42:23 AM

Isn't he talking about the black CAP leather flight jacket?  They're made to be worn with corporate uniforms.

If someone's giving him grief about the black jacket, they can pound your sand...   :D

"That Others May Zoom"

Gunner C

Quote from: Chicago_Pilot on April 12, 2009, 12:43:17 AM

If the side-by-side convention were consistent, the cross and wings would be reversed, the cross being the higher ranking badge.  VG does it again.

Hawk200

Quote from: Gunner C on April 12, 2009, 12:59:19 AM

I think what he's talking about is wearing the black leather jacket with civvies without a nametag on it, and being told it's not permitted.

Easy fix is to get a nametag with jsut a name on it, or maybe some cutesy saying to fill the Velcro.

es_g0d

Vanguard can't figure out priority, AND they're mixing "full size" and "miniature" badges.  Expecting that the leather nametag would mimic, oh I don't know, EVERY OTHER PIECE OF REGULATION, a reasonably logical person would also conclude that this is verboten.

I'm glad this is a hot topic; I hope someone from Vanguard is wearing their asbestos nomex undergarments.
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net

Stonewall

In the AF I've seen a variety of badge set-ups...

Serving since 1987.

Captain Morgan

Don C. Morgan, Lt Col
AL3, AOBD, GTM3, IC3, IO, LO, MP, MSO
KY Wing Government Relations Officer
Blue Grass Senior Squadron ES Officer
Lexington, KY

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: Captain Morgan on April 12, 2009, 01:16:29 PM
So this isn't legal?

Give it time. We just won't be able to wear it around cadets.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

blackrain

CPT Morgan..........TOOOOO Funny.  ;D

I have a couple "Morale Patches" I aquired overseas that I would like to put velcro on but I probably couldn't wear around the cadets either;D

I can't help but wonder who in the upper reaches of the CAP organization is getting a kickback from Vanguard.

ONE reason I went to the blue flight suit was to avoid as much uniform stupidity as possible. I have no desire to be confused with the Air Force while on CAP duty. I get my fill of playing military/Army while deployed. Now if they'll just let us use the cloth name tag on the blue suit that would be a benefit IMHO(readily available locally). If you need a different name tag ( considering they have English on both leather and cloth) to differentiate from the REAL military and CAP on a BLUE flight suit then maybe you need your eyes checked or possibly an English test. Same principle applies to the plastic encased insignia/ FOD hazard on the green suit.

One of my favorite sayings in the field "Git er done"

Anyone up there listening?
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly" PVT Murphy

RogueLeader

Quote from: blackrain on April 12, 2009, 03:07:15 PM
Anyone up there listening?

Huh??  Did somebody say something....

We know what you mean.  Most of that requires USAF approval.  The Seneate moves faster than them sometimes.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

blackrain

I know most on here (CAP TALK) see eye to eye. I keep hoping Big Blue and the those very high up in CAP can get practical solutions made and implemented in a reasonable time. ..................I'll pause now for the laughter to die down.................

Keeping the bling to minimum especially on dress uniforms would be good start too.

I for one, only have the golf shirt and grey slacks for meetings and no dress uniforms. Everything else is BDU/flightsuit/mission related.

Also, I really can't believe how much time is devoted to who gets to wear the leather jacket and other issues associated with the leather jacket. If the AF pilots get their feelings hurt by someone else wearing THEIR jacket then I have a nice set of Interceptor Body Armor ((just like the cool kids wear) and a 365 to the desert for them.

First and foremost is accomplishing the/our mission safely. If it goes to that end then it should move to the top of our priority list. IMHO

I'll quit wasting electrons now ;D
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly" PVT Murphy

Eclipse

Quote from: blackrain on April 13, 2009, 02:42:47 AM
Also, I really can't believe how much time is devoted to who gets to wear the leather jacket and other issues associated with the leather jacket. If the AF pilots get their feelings hurt by someone else wearing THEIR jacket then I have a nice set of Interceptor Body Armor ((just like the cool kids wear) and a 365 to the desert for them.

The reason so much time, in theory, is devoted to these issues is the seeming inability for a lot of our members to read 39-1 and follow relatively simple instructions.

If its not the former or the latter its a simple disregards for the regs, which is a worse problem then the above.

It doesn't matter why we're told to do "x" and not do "y", just that we comply.  If we don't, we're wrong, period.  All the nonsense about safety, cost, appearance, currency, and "they're lucky I showed up at all..." is just that, nonsense.

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

Quote from: Eclipse on April 13, 2009, 03:10:22 AMIf its not the former or the latter its a simple disregards for the regs, which is a worse problem then the above.

I think ignorance is another part, both simple ("Oh I didn't know that") and willful ("I'm not going to look that up, I don't have time/desire to").

Quote from: Eclipse on April 13, 2009, 03:10:22 AMIt doesn't matter why we're told to do "x" and not do "y", just that we comply.  If we don't, we're wrong, period.  All the nonsense about safety, cost, appearance, currency, and "they're lucky I showed up at all..." is just that, nonsense.

:clap:

blackrain

Quote from: Hawk200 on April 13, 2009, 03:42:33 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on April 13, 2009, 03:10:22 AMIf its not the former or the latter its a simple disregards for the regs, which is a worse problem then the above.

I think ignorance is another part, both simple ("Oh I didn't know that") and willful ("I'm not going to look that up, I don't have time/desire to").

Quote from: Eclipse on April 13, 2009, 03:10:22 AMIt doesn't matter why we're told to do "x" and not do "y", just that we comply.  If we don't, we're wrong, period.  All the nonsense about safety, cost, appearance, currency, and "they're lucky I showed up at all..." is just that, nonsense.

I hear ya barkin. I've "saluted and executed" more times than I can count; as many on this site can relate to.

Recently I've heard AF pilots lamenting how other active AF types are starting to wear the leather jacket so that's one reason I used it as an example.

But in the end I'll always call it like I see it. THEN salute and execute.

Mission First, Troops Always.

es_g0d

Said Air Force Pilots lament the fact that the Leather Jacket is being given to a multitude of career fields, when the whole reason it was brought back into service in the first place was as an incentive to be an aviator in the Air Force.

It was a big deal.  We've got precious few bits of heritage in the Air Force, so they must be carefully tended.
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net

Cecil DP

Maybe they don't read 39-1 because it changes every time you turn around. IE: From Civil Air Patrol to United States Air Force Auxiliary and back, CSU uniforms with several changes within the first 6 months of its adoption, Wing patches on, wing patches off, I can recall buying several diffrent polo shirts which were introduced and than rescinded within a year. We have a Manual which is supposed to be the final word, but which has been amended several times by ICL which have a shelf life of 6 months which are never updated into the manual. 
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

heliodoc

^^^

Yup  Like a number of other things that CAP doesn't update AND especially when they have a PAID staff to update

I ve  read the 39-1 just like I have read AR 670-1 and 39-1 REALLY NEEDS the HELP.

RiverAux

Hmmm, the AF needed incentives to get people to want to be AF pilots?  Not sure I'm buying that any more than I am the need for the big retention bonuses at AIG. 

es_g0d

Not to BE pilots, RiverAux, to STAY pilots.  We were in the end of 10 years whipping from ONW and OSW, and the airlines were hiring like gangbusters.  Most of the good pilots left to join them, if nothing else so they could see their families more than 120 days a year (for 10 years running, remember).  So they offered a bonus and brought out the leather jacket.  Neither were very effective.  For these reasons our O-5 to O-6 leadership on active duty is pretty thin right now. 

Think of it what you may, but that's the history lesson on why the leather jacket came back into being in the US Air Force.
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net

Sgt. Savage

I wear mine with my Senior Parachutist wings. Any yahoo can land a plane. You gotta have something special to jump out.

RiverAux

I can't see many staying for a leather jacket.  But, frankly, when the organization is primarily focused on that small group of its members, I don't mind them having some special items only for them. 

blackrain

At one time pilots received a pretty good monetary bonus to stay in. I don't know if they still do. Of course being an airline pilot probably isn't the best career move right now.

Ask the guy drawing E-4 pay in the Army what they did to keep him in or get him back if he's out already. He's been subject to Stop Loss or recalled out of the IRR.

Pretty fool-proof retention plan.

I've heard a lot  stories about people who have lost businesses etc after being recalled from the IRR 3 years after they took their last dime from Uncle Sam.

PHall

Quote from: RiverAux on April 14, 2009, 10:08:15 PM
I can't see many staying for a leather jacket.  But, frankly, when the organization is primarily focused on that small group of its members, I don't mind them having some special items only for them. 

Like he said, it wasn't that effective. But what do ya want for something that was thought up in the Puzzle Palace on the Potomac?

Climbnsink

Quote from: Cecil DP on April 14, 2009, 07:34:54 AM
Maybe they don't read 39-1 because it changes every time you turn around. IE: From Civil Air Patrol to United States Air Force Auxiliary and back, CSU uniforms with several changes within the first 6 months of its adoption, Wing patches on, wing patches off, I can recall buying several diffrent polo shirts which were introduced and than rescinded within a year. We have a Manual which is supposed to be the final word, but which has been amended several times by ICL which have a shelf life of 6 months which are never updated into the manual. 
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

CAP277

Can someone point me in the right direction for some leather name patches other than from vanguard through private message ? Thanks.

Eclipse

No need for a private message - http://flightbadge.com/

They are not a secret.

"That Others May Zoom"

CAP277

Thanks, anyone have any experience with them ? Good quality ?

Eclipse

Quote from: VETTE277 on May 19, 2009, 08:19:34 PM
Thanks, anyone have any experience with them ? Good quality ?

Yes, they are awesome. Good quality/price/service.  Fast shipping.

They are also a CAP sponsor.

"That Others May Zoom"

pixelwonk

they are excellent.
just an FYI, if you go "dual cool" they'll put your badges side-by-side.

FlyingTerp

Quote from: Eclipse on May 19, 2009, 08:11:21 PM

They are not a secret.

Superior product to what is available from the other guys.  If you ever get a chance to compare side by side, their leather nametag is better quality, color, printing, etc.   I highly recommend them.

es_g0d

Please don't put badges side-by-side in my Air Force (style) uniform.
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net

m981

I recently asked the folks at flightbadge why they offer only side by side . Their rep stated that some CAP LTC told them that this was correct(probably assumed that Vanguard was right). I let them know that the manual does not specify. They promise to offer vertical arrangements soon.
LTC. CAP
Spaatz
Wilson

Stonewall

I've had my "dual cool" flight badge from them for 2 years now and its vertical, not side by side.

Did they change the set up based on some goofball?
Serving since 1987.

pixelwonk

In a word, yes.
In an order I placed in late 07 I got them vertical.
I ordered this past Feb to replace my 1st Lt with Capt and they arrived side by side.

MIKE

Mike Johnston

es_g0d

I vote with my my pocketbook in this case, then.
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net

Mustang

They are not a secret.

Another swing-and-a-miss from Bobbo. 

flightbadge.com is NOT the secret source for the best CAP leather nametags. 

To quote Yoda, "no....there is another."
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

m981

I just got a vertically aligned leather badge from flightbadge.com. They sent it gratis after retooling, as promised. Can someone PM the secret source to me?
LTC. CAP
Spaatz
Wilson

Eclipse

Quote from: Mustang on May 29, 2009, 07:34:33 AM

They are not a secret.

Another swing-and-a-miss from Bobbo. 

flightbadge.com is NOT the secret source for the best CAP leather nametags. 

To quote Yoda, "no....there is another."

Um, yes.  That's what I literally said.

I know of at least 5-6 different sources for CAP-specific leather name tags that include the badges.  FB happens to do a good job and has been a recent CAP sponsor.

Would you like to me to publish a list of all the others, or is it enough that we all know you think have some double secret source?     ::)

"That Others May Zoom"

AlphaSigOU

We just wanna not have the legal pit bulls drying up our sources with C&D notices.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

a2capt

I need to order some new flight badges ..

I see fb.com .. there.. though, honestly, I'm not unhappy with what I got from vanguard last time, construction wise, they're decent. What I don't like is the silver seemed to wear off fast on one of them.

So.. I'm asking, I see fb.com, $20 for four, pick CAP pilot, enter the stuff on two lines. So, do I enter "MAJ      CAP" for the second line, or do they know to do that?

..and someone said there was another super secret source? I've not used any of these folks and truely would like something that at least holds up as well as what I got from vanguard last, so.. any PMs directed if someone doesn't wanna post something ..  fine. ;-)

I see fb.com is affiliated in some way with 800nametape .. which I need to call and order stuff, 'cause I wanna replace all the blue stuff with like aged stuff and their fabric name tapes kick butt.

Short Field

Quote from: Sgt. Savage on April 14, 2009, 10:00:10 PM
I wear mine with my Senior Parachutist wings. Any yahoo can land a plane. You gotta have something special to jump out.

Special to fall and hit the ground???  Now if you managed to miss it... ;D
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

SJFedor

well, i guess FB was nice while it lasted....

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver

a2capt

Oh good lord.

I can just see this now.. "Lets go read CAPTalk to see who to send a C&D to next" ..

Whatever.

it's NOT a real secret, you can type in flight badge civil air patrol in google and find about 10 places. If our "secrets" are this well hidden, but yet this obvious .. then we're in real trouble.

The reason I was asking, was for input from actual orders .. and this whole C&D super secret sauce debate comes up again. Do you think they are really that daft that they can't find whatever they are looking for without CAPTalk forums?

Puh-lease.

a2capt

FWIW, they have survived the massive rounds of C&D all this time .. like seemingly everyone else.

Maybe I will just use vanguard for these. At least I know what I'm gonna get.

Eclipse

Quote from: SJFedor on June 19, 2009, 10:39:01 PM
well, i guess FB was nice while it lasted....

You're kidding, right?  They're a CAP Sponsor...

"That Others May Zoom"