Suggestion -- VHF Radio Emergency Simplex Nets/Tests Participation?

Started by RADIOMAN015, April 03, 2009, 05:55:15 PM

RADIOMAN015

As a licensed amateur radio operator I participate weekly in an amateur radio  VHF emergency simplex net, on a designated amateur radio simplex frequency.  This gives me a very good idea of the communications range I can achieve with both my base & portable radios, with various antenna setups as well as various "communications locations hot spots" that mobiles & temporary base stations can communicate with many others from.

IF you have a squadron (or at home) base station antenna setup, and aren't a licensed amateur radio operator, you might consider inviting an amateur radio operator to set up his/her radio at your headquarters (or home) and conduct some simplex test with other hams in the area, ideally as part of a formal net (if there's one in your area) or on an adhoc basis with other amteur radio stations.  This is a very cost effective way of determing the potential communications range from your location.

Of course, during any sort of squadron or higher ES training exercise, it also a very good idea to check out how well you can communicate on simplex versus a repeater.  Remember that repeaters (whether CAP or amateur) can go down, and it's a good communications planning principle to know what your simplex comm range is.  Also to get an idea as to where ham simplex nets are conducted & even some results just do a google search "amateur radio VHF simplex nets". 

Perhaps in the future, we will see a nationwide CAP radio communications test, using "simplex" only.  In the interim, consider conducting your own "simplex" tests with other CAP radio stations and/or using the ham radio options as presented. 
RM

Major Lord

I think it would be awesome to see if we can pass a message from the East to the West via VHF simplex! Maybe we should pick a frequency and do a DX net.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

fireplug

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on April 03, 2009, 05:55:15 PM
. . .Perhaps in the future, we will see a nationwide CAP radio communications test, using "simplex" only.  In the interim, consider conducting your own "simplex" tests with other CAP radio stations and/or using the ham radio options as presented. 
RM

Hopefully one of the Wing DC's will correct me, but rumor has it that there will be no simplex frequencies in the new narrow band plan. Or maybe I mis-understood, when I was told that you can't talk on the new repeater outputs.

SarDragon

There are simplex frequencies, and there are repeater frequencies. There is currently no commonality between them, so our practice of repeater talkaround is no longer allowed.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

fireplug

Perhaps in the future, . . .or using the ham radio options as presented. 
RM

Ooops - didn't see thta part the first time.

CAPR 100-1, Vol. I, 1 Aug 1996

Par 11-2. Use of Amateur Radio Service by CAP. The use of frequencies in the Amateur Radio Service to conduct CAP business including SAR/CD operations is prohibited. Members with amateur licenses may only use CAP frequencies for CAP operations.

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: fireplug on April 03, 2009, 07:48:11 PM
Perhaps in the future, . . .or using the ham radio options as presented. 
RM

Ooops - didn't see thta part the first time.

CAPR 100-1, Vol. I, 1 Aug 1996

Par 11-2. Use of Amateur Radio Service by CAP. The use of frequencies in the Amateur Radio Service to conduct CAP business including SAR/CD operations is prohibited. Members with amateur licenses may only use CAP frequencies for CAP operations.

You might want to look at the new "draft" regulation which changes some of this.  Furthermore, this testing isn't going on during an AF authorized mssion.  I don't think anyone is going to loose any sleep if you plug your licensed ham radio or IF you aren't licensed, get a ham to plug into your squadron's antenna (or for that matter bring another antenna to your squadron) and give it a test.     
RM

fireplug

Sorry, I originally cited the old version of the 100-1. Current version above. I don't see any newer versions pending.
Sure you can put a ham rig on a CAP antenna to see if the antenna works, but that's about all. Thanks.

RiverAux

Apparently there are some major changes going on in how our CAP radios are going to be programmed including programming in repeater frequencies common across the entire country. 

arajca

Quote from: RiverAux on April 03, 2009, 09:47:23 PM
Apparently there are some major changes going on in how our CAP radios are going to be programmed including programming in repeater frequencies common across the entire country. 
That's an understatement!

SarDragon

It's happening in some wings as we speak. CAWG is almost all the way through the interim reprogramming evolution, and when the repeaters are completely changed out, there will be a second evolution to finalize the programming with the new channel plans.

As for the original post, again some wings run regular nets throughout the week. CAWG has a weeknight VHF net, and morning and evening HF nets three times a week.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: SarDragon on April 04, 2009, 06:50:55 AM......As for the original post, again some wings run regular nets throughout the week. CAWG has a weeknight VHF net.......

Would be interesting to find out IF part of the net's "routine" would be after checkin via the repeater network, that stations would try simplex.    In my opinion, CAP radio stations are generally farther distance apart and/or are low powered portables & thus need repeater access to effectively communicate in the net.  If a repeater is unavailable, than it's likely that  high bird aircraft support would be required.  HOWEVER, if you don't test it you just won't know for sure!
RM 

SarDragon

AFAIK, the VHF nets are done using two repeaters - one up north, and one in the south. Relay check-ins are done for folks who can't reach a repeater. Given the topography of California, simplex operation is limited at best.

I know of no effort to use a high bird, primarily due to the expense.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

argentip

How many stations do you get to check into your VHF nets in CA?  For the local one here in Michigan, we are lucky to get 4 or 5 stations to check-in.  Of these, 2 might be able to talk to each other, but that is it.  The others are much farther away.

I agree that High Birds are not a valid source for a normal weekly net, unless you get a pilot, or unit to cover the costs for it.
Phil Argenti, Col, CAP
GLR-IN-001

SarDragon

The last time I participated in a net, there were about 15 check-ins, covering portions of three groups. Once in a while, we get folks from a fourth group will check in. It varies from night to night, and week to week.

If you look here, Groups 1, 3, and 7 are the usual suspects, with Group 4 being the additional players. The repeater is located on the border between Group 3 and Group 7, on the western side.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret