First PT week

Started by Daniel, March 21, 2009, 07:09:09 AM

Daniel

I'm rather scared. If you read my last post I have Cerebral palsy, well I never came right out and said it.. but I dropped a heavy hint.
So I can't do the mile run, but the commanding officer used the words "shuttle run" quite regularly.. This makes me wonder.. If I don't/Can't do whats asked of me then aren't I insubordinate?
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Wright Brothers No. 12670
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: Daniel L on March 21, 2009, 07:09:09 AM
I'm rather scared. If you read my last post I have Cerebral palsy, well I never came right out and said it.. but I dropped a heavy hint.
So I can't do the mile run, but the commanding officer used the words "shuttle run" quite regularly.. This makes me wonder.. If I don't/Can't do whats asked of me then aren't I insubordinate?

Then your Unit Commander is insensitive to your needs.

You can get into CAPP 52-18 and read about the PT waivers. You will need a Doctor's signature to get this done.

Pages 6 and 30.

EMT-83

The commander might actually be trying to help. If you haven't had an honest and open discussion about your physical limitations, how is he supposed to know?

By offering the shuttle run as an alternative, it seems that he is trying to accommodate your needs. I think that after a private conversation, you'll be able to work out a solution and the fear factor should go away.

arajca

To be proactive, let your doctor know what is included in the CPFT (you can find it in CAPP 52-18). Ask him to evaluate it and make a determination as to what parts you can do without hurting yourself. Get a written note with these limitations and whether or not they are a permanent condition. When you meet with your commander, give him the note and KEEP A COPY FOR YOURSELF. Your commander should put you in the appropriate PT category depending on your limitations: Category I - no restrictions. Category II - some temporary restrictions. Category III - some permanent restrictions. Category IV - total permanent restriction, unable to any of the CPFT.

When you apply for any activities, include a copy of the doctor's note with the application. It shouldn't affect the approval (except for a couple of physically intensive activities) and lets the staff know what to expect.

CAP does not want to discriminate or injure cadets who have legitimate issues with the CPFT.

Hawk200

It's not insubordinate if you can't do it. Your commander may not be fully understanding of what your limitations are. If he is, then he's being insensitive, and could potentially be creating a hazardous condition for you.

Have an open talk with him, probably a good idea to have your parents present. Then it becomes clear as to what you can and can't do.

There have been cadets in the past with limitations, and they have still had fruitful cadet "careers".

MIKE

So do I... and I was what would today be considered fitness category IV my entire cadet career.  That means no PT... And I made it to C/Capt.

Quote from: CAPF 15  Application for Cadet Membership in Civil Air PatrolThe activities in which your child will participate while a member of CAP are generally comparable to those
experienced in high school, including physical education activities. To assure the fullest degree of pleasure
and success in Civil Air Patrol, the cadet should be healthy, both physically and mentally. If you mark "NO"
in all the boxes below, your cadet will be placed in a Physical Fitness Category I, and will not require a
physical examination. It you mark "YES" in any box, an examination by a physician is required.

See also CAPP 52-18 Attachment 1. Page 30 of the PDF.

If you really can't do a part or all of the CPFT then you need to be honest with yourself and get classified in the appropriate category.
Mike Johnston

Daniel

Is there a way I could go from cat III to cat IV?
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Wright Brothers No. 12670
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

jimmydeanno

Get a note from your physician and give it to your DCC.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

MIKE

Mike Johnston