Main Menu

ECI 13

Started by stratoflyer, January 29, 2009, 02:31:14 PM

BrandonKea

Quote from: Airrace on August 24, 2009, 12:29:44 AM
Quote from: BrandonKea on August 23, 2009, 11:59:12 PM
I passed!  :o

I never did get a card though, all I got was my "diploma". Do you get both or just the one?

I never got a card, didn't know there was one. I did get the diploma. Did you complete the Yeager test prior to the ECI-13?

Oh yeah, ages ago.
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

BrandonKea

One the one hand, I want to know what I got. Even if it doesn't matter.

...as far as I know now, I aced it :-D lol
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

wuzafuzz

RATS!! I enrolled in the course.  I received it.  I studied.  I ordered the test.  Today I was told the course and tests are no longer shipping.  AAARRRGGGHHHH!

Perhaps the online course is almost ready?
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

BrandonKea

Quote from: wuzafuzz on August 24, 2009, 01:50:42 AM
RATS!! I enrolled in the course.  I received it.  I studied.  I ordered the test.  Today I was told the course and tests are no longer shipping.  AAARRRGGGHHHH!

Oh Geez! Are you just in limbo now?? Why won't they let you test??
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

Chappie

My understanding is that it will be available at the end of December.    I know that many of the contributors had a 7/15 deadline.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

wuzafuzz

Quote from: BrandonKea on August 24, 2009, 01:52:22 AM

Oh Geez! Are you just in limbo now?? Why won't they let you test??

If I remember correctly my PD guy said they may know more in a week or two.

Camas

RATS!! I enrolled in the course.  I received it.  I studied.  I ordered the test.  Today I was told the course and tests are no longer shipping. 
Check this page out. Here's the reason.

wuzafuzz

Quote from: Camas on August 24, 2009, 03:59:10 AM
RATS!! I enrolled in the course.  I received it.  I studied.  I ordered the test.  Today I was told the course and tests are no longer shipping. 
Check this page out. Here's the reason.
If I understand that correctly it only affects newly registered students as course materials are exhausted.  No mention of tests, unless those are considered materials.

Capt Rivera

Quote from: wuzafuzz on August 24, 2009, 06:09:16 PM
If I understand that correctly it only affects newly registered students as course materials are exhausted.  No mention of tests, unless those are considered materials.

You might be able to assume that they would not print substantially more tests then they have books...

They might only print one test per book... Assuming some people will sign up and never request test, they should run out of books before running out of tests. [hopefully few people fail this test and have to be sent 2 or more tests]...

In any event, it might be safe to assume they ran out of both...
- I wonder if new prints will naturally include the corrections made over the years... wont hold my breath though....
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

davedove

Quote from: RiveraJ on August 24, 2009, 06:16:59 PM
- I wonder if new prints will naturally include the corrections made over the years... wont hold my breath though....

The course materials would be the perfect thing to supply electronically.  If they didn't want to give them out on an open site, they could email them to registered individuals.  Then, if they desired, they could still do the tests as they currently do.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

DrJbdm

It seems that National wants to make the new Officer Basic Course an open book, correctable to 100% course. I find that pretty disturbing as anytime you have a course that is correctable to 100% you have effectively made it a course that doesn't matter much.

If you take the course, no matter how bad you do on the test, you simply review the right answers and bam you now have a 100%! Forget learning the material, just take skim thru the modules and take the test. Don't study, don't learn, you're going to make a 100% anyway.

I have no problem with online courses as long as the test is proctured and you are allowed to fail. Oh well, another sign of the times.

davidsinn

Quote from: RiveraJ on August 24, 2009, 06:16:59 PM

That's a negative. It has a full page of errata that needs corrected before you start. I just enrolled recently.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

wuzafuzz

The delay for tests was shortlived.  I was just informed my test has arrived.   ;D

capdroff

First, according to the National Boards feed last week, the Senior Officer Course (ECI13) is scheduled to go live online on December 31.  Even if you are currently enrolled in the paper version, you may switch to the online version when available.

The Ohio Wing has put together a study guide found at

http://ohwg.cap.gov/profdev/docs/NewPDdocs/AFIADL-13%20Study%20Guide.pdf

Another method is:

You will note at the end of each section are two sets of review questions - the Self Exam and the Unit Review.  Each time you answer the questions for the Self Exam, highlight the answers in the text with a YELLOW highlighter.  Then, for the Unit Review questions, highlight the answers in BLUE highlighter.  You will see that some of the answers overlap and your text is now GREEN.  The green text is usually very important.

Remember you have one year to take the test but you should plan to take it around 10.5 months.  This will give you time to get your test scored and in the event you are not successful, you'll have time to retake the test before your year is up.  You can also request an extension up to 4 months if you run out of time at the end.  However, if you do not request the extension and you run out of time, you need to wait six months to re-enroll in the course.

Good Luck.

AirDX

Question for the cognoscenti here:

I took ECI 13 in 1988 - still have the card.  I just came back to CAP after a long absence, do I have to take it again, or can I scan the card and send it off to the powers that be to be certified as having completed the course?
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

RiverAux

They may or may not have it in your old records at NHQ.  I assume then that it hasn't shown up in your records on e-services?  If not, go ahead and send a copy in and it will get added. 

wuzafuzz

I took the test on Sunday, it was easier than I expected, although I did hit a few speed bumps where I should have studied better.  I'm confident I passed but we'll see.

I'm glad the course is being replaced.  It was terrible.

Regarding open book exams.  I took some online college exams that were open book and were still devilishly hard.  It can be done.

Gunner C

One would hope that would be the case.  But NHQ is in the business of producing "check the block" requirements.  I don't have much faith in the training developers there.  :P

Eclipse

Quote from: wuzafuzz on September 15, 2009, 11:20:13 AM
Regarding open book exams.  I took some online college exams that were open book and were still devilishly hard.  It can be done.

I'd be willing to bet they were an actual book - which is a different universe from online open-Google.

"That Others May Zoom"

wuzafuzz

Quote from: Eclipse on September 15, 2009, 02:31:17 PM
Quote from: wuzafuzz on September 15, 2009, 11:20:13 AM

I'd be willing to bet they were an actual book - which is a different universe from online open-Google.
Nope, at least in this case.  While there was a book, it was a research writing class that depended heavily upon online academic resources.  Google wasn't much help since it didn't index the "members only" academic resources. 

Questions can be written to test understanding as opposed to simple memorization or Google-Fu.  I agree with Gunner though, our new test will probably be a multiple guess/recognition affair.  Little chance of essay questions or research papers scored by a subject matter expert.