Main Menu

ECI 13

Started by stratoflyer, January 29, 2009, 02:31:14 PM

Spike

Brought back from PM....

Sorry I was so harsh.   :-*

BrandonKea

I just enrolled in ECI-AFIADL-A6/4 13 and upon the advice of my unit commander, ordered my test the day the materials arrived.

Some of the material seems, I dunno, irrelevant? Some of it, at least, is very much "Jeopardy Knowledge," while I appreciate the historical aspects of the CAP portion. I'm not sure what knowing which flag was carried by the Green Mountain Boys will help me, but hey, that's just me.

And on the other hand, some seems like information you wouldn't want to gloss over. The communication section, especially, seems vital to what we do in CAP.

It's very much time for an overhaul of the course though. Is that coming with the online course, or will it simply be the current class, online.
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

RiverAux

Total overhaul.  Online.

Chappie

Quote from: BrandonKea on May 21, 2009, 02:59:38 AM

It's very much time for an overhaul of the course though. Is that coming with the online course, or will it simply be the current class, online.

It is an overhaul and will be offered online.   According to the NHQ Web-site:

The course will be divided into three major learning modules:

A. THE PERSONAL/INTERPERSONAL DIMENSION OF LEADERSHIP

B. THE PROFESSIONAL DIMENSION OF LEADERSHIP

C. THE ORGANIZATIONAL DIMENSION OF LEADERSHIP

Assumptions:

1. This course would be completed via independent study, online, and available 24/7.

2. The evaluation instruments would be periodic multiple-choice, online examinations, which would be open-book, and correctable to 100%.

3.  TARGET DURATION FOR EACH INSTRUCTIONAL TOPIC WILL BE 30 MINUTES OR LESS!!   CONTACT HOURS: 20

MODULE 1: PERSONAL/INTERPERSONAL DIMENSION OF LEADERSHIP

I. Followership
II. Leadership Traits and Leadership Styles
III. Group Dynamics
IV. Team Building
V. Counseling
VI. Conflict Management
VII. Problem Solving
VIII. Implementing Change
IX. Effective Decision-Making
X. Effective Communication
     a. Written
     b. Oral
     c. Nonverbal
     d. Cross-generational Communication
     e. Barriers to Communication
XI.   Mentoring

MODULE 2: PROFESSIONAL DIMENSION OF LEADERSHIP

I. Professionalism
II. CAP Core Values
III. CAP Ethics
IV. Concept of Chain of Command
V. Basic Drill
VI. Uniform Wear
VII. Rank, Promotions, Awards, and Decorations
VIII. Standards, Customs, Courtesies, Flag Protocol, Emblems and Seals
IX. Professional Development Programs
      a. CAP (Senior Member) Officers (CAPR 50-17)
      b. CAP Cadets (CAPR 52-16)
X. Understanding the Specialty Training Tracks (Basic SQ Structure)
XI. Air Force-style Correspondence
XII. Air Force-style Briefing
XIII. The CAP Chaplain Corps
XIV. Diversity
XV. CAP Nondiscrimination Policy
XVI. Discipline Versus Abuse
XVII. Cadet Protection
XVIII. Adverse Member Actions
XIX. Resource Accountability (Funds and Assets)
XX. Safety

MODULE 3: ORGANIZATIONAL DIMENSION OF LEADERSHIP

I. CAP Vision
II. Highlights of CAP and USAF History
III. Legal Basis for CAP
      a. Public Law
      b. Constitution and By-Laws
IV. Organization of CAP (The Sq/Wing/Region Org, NEC, Nat Bd and Board of Governors)
V. Membership Categories
VI. Accomplishing the Mission Elements  (AE, CP, ES)
VII. Support to Civil and Military Authorities
VIII. IG System
       a. Compliance Inspections and SAVs
       b. Complaints Program
IX.   CAP Insurance/Benefits Program
X.   Recruiting and Retention

The lessons have been assigned to a team of writers throughout the nation -- each module has a team leader.  Deadlines for submitting the final lesson assigned to writers are the 15th of the month -- beginning in March of this year and ending in July.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Chicago_Pilot

Quote from: Chicago_Pilot on May 20, 2009, 04:47:38 PM
Just took my ECI-13 / AFIADL 00013 test yesterday.  It is easy if you use some online study tools like the Ohio Wing Study Guide and Jesse Jones Squadron's quizzes.  "Thank You" to the members that posted those links on this forum!  Most of the questions are right from the Unit Review Exams.

Anyone nervous about taking it or thinking of waiting for a new course should just go ahead and enroll.  It is not nearly as cumbersome as others would have you believe.

Just received my ECI-13 diploma from the Air University Registrar.  I took the test on May 19th, the certificate is dated May 27th and it was received June 9th.  Pretty efficient in my book.

majdomke

Quote from: gistek on January 30, 2009, 01:30:13 PM
Here's a link to the practice quizzes I made to use as study guides.
http://home.earthlink.net/~nerpa010/id19.html
Just took my test two weeks ago and the practice tests were instrumental in my passing it. There were only a few test questions not in the quizzes from the books. Thank you for posting this info.

a2capt

Okay, I spotted this thread .. and thought.. maybe the actual directions on how to get courses in general, might be here.

So.. when I did this, it was use a PDF, that had an email submit button, and that submitted itself for the test. Prior to that, it was the post card.

How do you actually get the thing anymore, provided you have your shred code, etc?

Gunner C

Quote from: Chicago_Pilot on June 10, 2009, 03:53:20 PM
Quote from: Chicago_Pilot on May 20, 2009, 04:47:38 PM
Just took my ECI-13 / AFIADL 00013 test yesterday.  It is easy if you use some online study tools like the Ohio Wing Study Guide and Jesse Jones Squadron's quizzes.  "Thank You" to the members that posted those links on this forum!  Most of the questions are right from the Unit Review Exams.

Anyone nervous about taking it or thinking of waiting for a new course should just go ahead and enroll.  It is not nearly as cumbersome as others would have you believe.

Just received my ECI-13 diploma from the Air University Registrar.  I took the test on May 19th, the certificate is dated May 27th and it was received June 9th.  Pretty efficient in my book.

I found that they were pretty efficient in getting a certificate out once they get the test form.  They're pretty good.

gistek

Quote from: a2capt on June 16, 2009, 06:35:37 AM
Okay, I spotted this thread .. and thought.. maybe the actual directions on how to get courses in general, might be here.

So.. when I did this, it was use a PDF, that had an email submit button, and that submitted itself for the test. Prior to that, it was the post card.

How do you actually get the thing anymore, provided you have your shred code, etc?

There was an online form that could be used for requesting any of the AFIADL courses, but recently I've found it easier to request them through my Wing Professional Development officer.

CAP Knowledgebase Answer ID 506,     How do I enroll in an AF correspondence course from HQ AU A4/6 (ECI)? (keyword = eci 13) has updated information and links, including a link to "Procedures for requesting an HQ AU A4/6 end of course exam"

BrandonKea

Just took my ECI-13 test tonight. We'll see how long it takes to get my results back. I feel pretty good about it though...
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

Camas

Quote from: gistek on June 16, 2009, 03:38:14 PM
I've found it easier to request them through my Wing Professional Development officer.

That's all well and fine but that's your responsibility, not his or hers. Re: CAPR50-4 Para 2-3.

You order it; the wing testing officer receives it and forwards it to your unit TCO for testing.

Eclipse

Just as an FYI - NHQ announced this week that the sundown for ECI-13 /AFIDL/HQ/AU 46 is 31 Dec.

Anyone already enrolled may continue to the course until completion, anyone not enrolled will have to take the new one, which included online components.

See KB answer 2094 for more detail.

"That Others May Zoom"

Angus

Quote from: Eclipse on July 24, 2009, 12:59:52 PM
Just as an FYI - NHQ announced this week that the sundown for ECI-13 /AFIDL/HQ/AU 46 is 31 Dec.

Anyone already enrolled may continue to the course until completion, anyone not enrolled will have to take the new one, which included online components.

Is that effective now that you can't enroll in the course?  What if you're enrolled must you test before the 31 Dec Date?
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

Eclipse

Quote from: Angus on July 24, 2009, 01:20:18 PM

Is that effective now that you can't enroll in the course?  What if you're enrolled must you test before the 31 Dec Date?

Enrollment in the current course is still open to those eligible. 31 Dec is not a "hard stop".

We discussed this in RSC last week and were told that if you are enrolled in the course before 31 Dec, you can run it out to its normal conclusion, including retests, etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

Incorrect. The PROJECTED RELEASE DATE for the new course is 31 Dec 2009.
Quote from:  KB Answer # 2094Officer Basic Course: The projected release date for the new CAP Officer Basic Course (replacement for AFIADL Course 13, CAP Senior Office Course) is 31 Dec 2009. The present AFIADL Course 13 is still active and applications are still being accepted. Course 13 remains a requirement to complete Level II and receive the Gen Benjamin O. Davis Jr., Award. (Contact: Bobbie Tourville - bjtourville@capnhq.gov) Ref:  EX's Open Cockpit July 2009
emphasis mine

QuoteAnyone already enrolled may continue to the course until completion, anyone not enrolled will have to take the new one, which included online components.

Again, incorrect. You may still enroll in AFAIDL 13.
Quote from: KB ANswer #2094You may have heard two rumors going around: the first is that AFIADL-13 is not longer being offered by AIr University; and the second is that completion of AFIADL-13 is being waived until the new course launches. Neither of these rumors are true. Air University is still enrolling students in the course, and completion of the course is still required for completion of Level II, and is still one of the choices cadets have to complete Phase IV.

As the development of the new Officer Basic Course advances, we'll keep you updated. In the meantime, please don't be afraid to enroll students in AFIADL-13. We'd hate to see members slow their own progress waiting for the new course.

Eclipse

If I wasn't clear, I apologize. 

This was handed down to us by the GLR PDO at RSC last week.  He stressed that the new course was much more comprehensive than the current one - spanning about 40 chapters, and that those who don't want to get involved with an entirely new curriculum need to get moving.

Members may continue to enroll in ECI-13 until 13 Dec, and continue the course through its normal schedule of dates and testing deadlines until completed or exhausted.

Anyone not enrolled in the current ECI-13 by 31 Dec will need to enroll in the new course on 1 Jan.

Since I am not the first-hand holder of this information, I can't argue it any further than that.

"That Others May Zoom"

Airrace

I took the ECI-13 test a month ago and passed. I got the results back in less than two weeks after I took the test. The only problem I had was getting the test delivered to our squadron. It seems it was delivered to the Wing and they sat on it for a month.

I too feel the communication portion of the test was the best part, the rest of it was a waste of time. I am glad to hear that the new on line eaxam will be more comprehensive.

Don't forget to take the Aerospace Leadership exam prior to the ECI-13 to get your Yeager adward. I have been told that you get a gold star on your certificate. You can take the Aerospace leadership exam after the EC-13 but you won't get the gold star.

I figure you got to take it anyway so why not take it prior to the ECI-13 and get the gold star!

Eclipse

Quote from: Airrace on July 24, 2009, 03:02:44 PM
I took the ECI-13 test a month ago and passed. I got the results back in less than two weeks after I took the test. The only problem I had was getting the test delivered to our squadron. It seems it was delivered to the Wing and they sat on it for a month.

We had a similar problem. Wing is good about sending them, but they'd go to the Group CC's first - an unnecessary bottleneck. 

As Group CC's we petitioned the wing to send them direct to the unit TCO's. Problem solved.

Quote from: Airrace on July 24, 2009, 03:02:44 PM
Don't forget to take the Aerospace Leadership exam prior to the ECI-13 to get your Yeager adward. I have been told that you get a gold star on your certificate. You can take the Aerospace leadership exam after the EC-13 but you won't get the gold star.

I figure you got to take it anyway so why not take it prior to the ECI-13 and get the gold star!

Its not a "star" its a round, pointed, seal and there is no dependency on the order of taking ECI-13, only that your Yeager is completed at the time Level II is submitted.

"That Others May Zoom"

BrandonKea

I passed!  :o

I never did get a card though, all I got was my "diploma". Do you get both or just the one?
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

Airrace

Quote from: BrandonKea on August 23, 2009, 11:59:12 PM
I passed!  :o

I never did get a card though, all I got was my "diploma". Do you get both or just the one?

I never got a card, didn't know there was one. I did get the diploma. Did you complete the Yeager test prior to the ECI-13?