Main Menu

ECI 13

Started by stratoflyer, January 29, 2009, 02:31:14 PM

stratoflyer

Alright. I got my ECI 13 materials. [I know it's not called ECI anymore but people seem to know it more by this name still].

Is there a study guide out there that can help me study for this course? Any forum regulars who have taken this course have any advice? And when it's time to take the test, how do I go about that (getting it ordered and what not)?

This information would be very useful not just for me but we just signed up 2 new senior members and they would be taking this course soon as well.
"To infinity, and beyond!"

Eduardo Rodriguez, 2LT, CAP

Phil Hirons, Jr.

The test needs to be ordered from AU 4/6 (formerly AFIADL). This can be done from the AU 4/6 help forum. I takes about 2 weeks to get to your Wing Test Control Officer. Add time if you need to then get it to your squadron.

As to the course. Do all the review questions in the material. Use these as you review for the test

DogCollar

I took the course last year.  I won't give you my opinion of the content, but just know, if you got the same one I did, a lot of information is waaaaay out of date!

At the end of each section is a practice test.  What I did was to make a flash card of each question and answer (about 250 cards...I think).  I learned those cards and the anwers.  The test kept to those questions pretty much, so I did okay.

Once you finish the course and you are ready for the test you go to the AFIADL website and request the test.  You will need to give them the closest testing center to you, and that's where they will mail the test.  I had them mail it directly to my squadron, and the testing officer administered and secured the test.

Just know, that the course and test is expected to be available on-line at some point.  I haven't heard when that might occur.  Maybe someone else knows the answer.  Best wishes.
Ch. Maj. Bill Boldin, CAP

lordmonar

The online course will probably not be available anytime soon (12 months or so)....so take the AU4/6 course 000013.

I just took the test last Tuesday......study the review questions...and you should be good.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

cap235629

1.  Order course
2. when course arrives file all but the questions in the circular file
3. watch the military channel and fill in the blanks
4. order the test
5. pass with flying colors

at least that is what worked for me....   ;D ;D ;D
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

tarheel gumby

:D :D :D :D :D
Way to go I finished mine for the second time in 20 years back in Nov. Pain in the seat both times. ( did it back in 1987)
BTW Bravo Zulu
Joseph Myers Maj. CAP
Squadron Historian MER NC 019
Historian MER NC 001
Historian MER 001

stratoflyer

Circular file? Is that the one that seems to get updated very frequently with certain memos?  >:D

stratoflyer

By the way, my course came with a little envelope. What's that for?

And the packing sheet said it should've brought a "Keys to success" pamphlet or something but it was missing. I didn't bother asking for a copy of that guessing it was general tips. Kinda like what they put in the first few pages of a textbook (who reads those?).

gistek

AND, one section will refer to a PAO manual that it says was sent with the materials. What you actually have to do is find it online.

I was having problems with the review questions, so I input them to a quiz generator. Doing the practice quiz helped me recognize areas I needed more study, and helped me prepare for the test itself.

Almost all of the questions on the test I took came straight from the review questions. There were a few questions on the test that weren't in the review questions, but they weren't terribly difficult.

Here's a link to the practice quizzes I made to use as study guides.
http://home.earthlink.net/~nerpa010/id19.html

stratoflyer

^ Hey! That's great! Thanks.

So I've been reading and practicing and feel that I could pass it. What is the process to get the test ordered? Is it through the Wing testing officer?

And what if someone for whatever reason fails, what's the retake policy?

stratoflyer

QuoteAND, one section will refer to a PAO manual that it says was sent with the materials. What you actually have to do is find it online.

Do you have the link for the PAO manual?

gistek

Sorry it took so long to get back on this. It's been a very busy day for me.

The Tongue and Quill is available at http://www.e-publishing.af.mil/shared/media/epubs/AFH33-337.pdf

In PA Wing, our Wing PDO prefer it if we request AFIADL tests through her. Knowledge Base answer 1933, Requesting and completing AFIADL tests, has the most current information.

It may take a few weeks between your request and when the testing officer receives it. You may then have to wait until you both have time to meet. In all but a few cases, this is NOT your unit's testing officer, so don't go bugging him(her).

Remember you can always check the Knowledge Base or ask your unit or wing PDO about any questions you have regarding these courses.

ThorntonOL

What are we suppose to study from the Tongue and Quill?
Former 1st Lt. Oliver L. Thornton
NY-292
Broome Tioga Composite Squadron

brenaud

Quote from: gistek on January 30, 2009, 10:46:20 PM
In PA Wing, our Wing PDO prefer it if we request AFIADL tests through her. Knowledge Base answer 1933, Requesting and completing AFIADL tests, has the most current information.

It may take a few weeks between your request and when the testing officer receives it. You may then have to wait until you both have time to meet. In all but a few cases, this is NOT your unit's testing officer, so don't go bugging him(her).

Remember you can always check the Knowledge Base or ask your unit or wing PDO about any questions you have regarding these courses.

I like that idea...since the test comes to the Wing Test Control Officer (which I'd imagine is the PDO quite often) it's helpful for them to be in the loop so they can stay on top of things if the test doesn't show up when it should.  I also like to give them a heads-up when the enrollment is processed, as that's an extra set of eyes to make sure the enrollment doesn't run out. 

<shameless plug>
All that said, work through the chain with your unit, group, and wing Professional Development staff and they'll help you out.
</shameless plug>
WILLIAM A. RENAUD, Lt Col, CAP
TNWG Director of Personnel & Administration
GRW #2699

brenaud

Quote from: stratoflyer on January 30, 2009, 06:59:24 AM
By the way, my course came with a little envelope. What's that for?

Under the 'old' system, you sent an AFIADL Form 17 to request the test.  It went in that envelope.  I think it can still be used for some things, but not anything we do in the normal course of CAP business.

But, when you do take the test, the answer sheet will be sent back to Maxwell in the same type of envelope.  There should be one for that purpose in the test packet, but hold on to the one you have just in case.

Oh, and good luck!
GRW #2699

gistek

There are some specific references in one section of the study materials. In some cases all you need to do is search for some specifics within the "Tongue & Quill" in others you are told to read certain pages.

HEADS UP!

I learned yesterday that the new online "ECI-13" will consist of 41 modules with 10 questions each. The person who reported this said that he's seen some of the questions and they are much harder than the ones on the current test.

ThorntonOL

You mean the new Senior Officer Course? Because I thought they where getting rid of the old senior officer course aka ECI 13.
NY-292

RogueLeader

Quote from: ThorntonOL on February 01, 2009, 06:49:39 PM
You mean the new Senior Officer Course? Because I thought they where getting rid of the old senior officer course aka ECI 13.
Yup, but it hasn't happened yet.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

ThorntonOL

I last heard they where still discussing it in another thread which we recently covered the same subject. So now they've done something?
NY-292

brenaud

Quote from: ThorntonOL on February 02, 2009, 12:09:53 AM
I last heard they where still discussing it in another thread which we recently covered the same subject. So now they've done something?
Info on NHQ site:
http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/cap_university/professional_development/basic_officer_course.cfm
GRW #2699