senior member honor guard?

Started by MikeD, January 14, 2009, 05:41:10 AM

MikeD

Is there any such a thing?  Are there any regs against it?  All of the ones I know are cadets but then again I only know of a couple.

stratoflyer

Senior members? Well, good luck finding enough that would actually make the standard.
"To infinity, and beyond!"

Eduardo Rodriguez, 2LT, CAP

Hawk200

Quote from: stratoflyer on January 14, 2009, 05:44:16 AM
Senior members? Well, good luck finding enough that would actually make the standard.

What, exactly, does that mean? Just curious, would appreciate some clarification.

IceNine

Height, weight, squared away, willing to wear uncomfortable clothes and walk for potentially rediculous long routes, holding either a 7ft wind catcher or 8lb gun. 

I personally have been there, and done that.  And while it was good times when I was younger I'm glad I'm not doing it now.

The only Honorguard function that I could see myself performing at this point in my life is a burial.

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Hawk200

Hmm, I can think of six in my unit that would qualify. Seven, once I get back. Three of the seven have done training in Honor Guard ops before, and the remaining could easily be brought up to speed. Might be just my unit.

stratoflyer

No disrespect meant, but I've yet to see senior members regularly participate in customs and courtesies, let alone drill.

And even then, let's say that you do find a good buch of fellows, unless they all meet weight standards, you're gonna have to put them all in the CSU. Then you're gonna have to herd them for practice.

But, would I like to see a senior member honor guard? Oh heck yea! Hey, whoever gets one started, sign me up!

stratoflyer

QuoteHmm, I can think of six in my unit that would qualify. Seven, once I get back. Three of the seven have done training in Honor Guard ops before, and the remaining could easily be brought up to speed. Might be just my unit.

Must be.

IceNine

Quote from: Hawk200 on January 14, 2009, 06:26:31 AM
Hmm, I can think of six in my unit that would qualify. Seven, once I get back. Three of the seven have done training in Honor Guard ops before, and the remaining could easily be brought up to speed. Might be just my unit.

It is... ;)

I would strongly oppose an all senior honorguard IF there were cadets to do the job.  

I am as a general rule not a big fan of exclusive senior clubs that infringe on programs that are specifically tailored and designed for our cadets
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Hawk200

Quote from: IceNine on January 14, 2009, 06:28:30 AM
I would strongly oppose an all senior honorguard IF there were cadets to do the job.  

I am as a general rule not a big fan of exclusive senior clubs that infringe on programs that are specifically tailored and designed for our cadets

That reasoning I can get on board with. We've got almost thirty cadets, I think mostly because of our high speed members that would make a good Honor Guard. We would have plenty of raw materials, so to speak.

Most of those seniors are prior military, the others are just high speed and chose to learn exactly what the cadets do and learn. Not so far as taking tests, but they will sit in classes and take notes, which I think is a good and strong example to our cadets. Right now, I'm thinking that the cadets are best served by these seniors passing on their knowledge to make our cadet Honor Guard an exceptional one. (Which is kinda what seniors are supposed to do, right?  :) )

Eclipse

This was something one of my units beat up but never got any traction on.

The reasoning was they had a fair number of older members who were likely to pass on soon, and that finding cadets who can take off school for HG duties can be difficult.

The idea was not to build a full-on CAP Senior HG, but to put together a small group of seniors who looked sharp in a uniform, could march in step, carry a casket and commit to being available for funerals and wakes.

I am stil in favor of the idea, but as I say, we have not gotten any traction yet.

"That Others May Zoom"

Flying Pig

I woldnt be oppossed to it.  But I would say only if finding a cadet HG had been exhausted.

PaulR

RiverAux

Haven't heard of CAP doing it, but have seen stories about several CG Auxiliary honor guards participating in fairly large public events.  Can't see a whole lot of interest for it in CAP, but there isn't any reason it can't be done.

PaulR

I think it would be a cool sight... four Senior member CAP NCOs doing a sharp honor guard presentation! 

Always Ready

Quote from: PaulR on January 17, 2009, 04:38:56 PM
I think it would be a cool sight... four Senior member CAP NCOs doing a sharp honor guard presentation! 
Yeah it would look cool. The only problem would be finding *four* SM CAP NCOs...I've only seen *one* during my four years in CAP and he of the fat and fuzzy variety.

*Edit: If someone does make an all-Senior Member Honor Guard or Color Guard, please have them all in Blues not in corporates...it just wouldn't look right. That's my personal opinion YMMV

RiverAux

Quote from: PaulR on January 17, 2009, 04:38:56 PM
That would take about 8% of the CAP NCO "Corps". 

chanson1

Just not a good idea. Most seniors wouldn't meet the requirements. That's one thing i've never liked about CAP. Cadets are held to a higher standard then it's Senior Members.
Christian M. Hanson

Hobbsh1

Quote from: chanson1 on January 19, 2009, 03:47:11 AM
Just not a good idea. Most seniors wouldn't meet the requirements. That's one thing i've never liked about CAP. Cadets are held to a higher standard then it's Senior Members.

I agree with you there, but there is also nothing stopping SM from holding each other to those same standards for those members who are of able body.

Maj Dave "Hobbs" Hobgood
Group 1 PAWG

Major Carrales

If a SM color guard or honor guard wants to exist...I say so be it.  Don't limit CAP Officers to being mere CAP Officers.  If there is an interest, let it come to be.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

tjaxe

Quote from: Major Carrales on January 20, 2009, 04:38:12 AM
If a SM color guard or honor guard wants to exist...I say so be it.  Don't limit CAP Officers to being mere CAP Officers.  If there is an interest, let it come to be.

ditto!

- Tracey, Captain
Public Affairs Officer, Professional Development, Logistics: NER-PA-160