Mission Notification via SMS/Text Message

Started by Stonewall, January 03, 2009, 06:09:52 PM

RiverAux

I think you misunderstood what I was saying.  I didn't mean that the entire squadron would be called out, rather that the squadron commander would be called so that he could call out the resources needed from within their unit.  Since no IC is going to know who has keys to the van/plane/building where the LPER and radios are kept, jumping over the chain of command with a statewide broadcast isn't going to be any more efficient.  But, like I said, if you can't get in touch with the squadron command it can sometimes be your only option. 

But, if someone wants to use the system and it works for them, thats great. 

IceNine

I have 3 alert officers that I have appointed for my group.  Me, by OPS officer, and one of my seasoned GBD's.

One of the 3 of us calls into the IC and then we decide the 5 W's.  Typically on a normal ELT one of the 3 of us will act as GBD and just check in on a regular basis with the IC. 

The REDCAP list as is it aptly named works really well.

The only issue that we have is that the system is only as accurate as the guy updating the rosters.   
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on January 05, 2009, 04:04:39 AM
I think you misunderstood what I was saying.  I didn't mean that the entire squadron would be called out, rather that the squadron commander would be called so that he could call out the resources needed from within their unit.  Since no IC is going to know who has keys to the van/plane/building where the LPER and radios are kept, jumping over the chain of command with a statewide broadcast isn't going to be any more efficient. 

I understood exactly what you said, and as I said some states do not deploy ES resources based on a squadron model, or even involve the squadron commanders in deployments.

The call goes to the entire wing, and assets that are in proximity to the situation respond with what resources they have available.

Where the L-Per or Keys to a COV are is irrelevant to an IC, COV's are rarely used for ELT's in my wing and I know where my keys are.  The DF gear, radios, and related equipment are in the hands of people who can be counted on to respond to ELT pages.

You call in and say "I have X, Y, Z".  The IC tells you whether to roll and where, etc.

In some cases a GTL that responds may be directed to contact a team, or responds that he has a team, etc.  If  GBD is appointed or already lit up, they handle the ground portions, usually from the field.

My better CC's do practice a semi-unit based model, but that is far from consistent wing-wide.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Well, thats certainly an interesting way to do things since all the personnel and equipment are (or should be) under the control of squadrons rather than individuals.  If it works for you, thats fine, but I wouldn't want to operate that way. 

IceNine

Under the control of squadrons is exactly equal to under the control of individuals aka Commander's.

In our wing Vehicles are under the control of Group Commanders, Aircraft are under the control of the wing commander.

Unrated squadron commander's are a much worse choice for ES Callouts than are trained "individuals" especially "individuals" that are intimately familiar with ES and its operations.  Which is specifically why I choose GBD's to do Ground Team Callouts, and AOBD's to do my aircrew callouts.

Call it what you will but at the most basic level people with ES ratings are more appropriate alert officers than those without

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Timbo

Quote from: IceNine on January 05, 2009, 11:27:34 PM
Unrated squadron commander's are a much worse choice for ES Callouts than are trained "individuals" especially "individuals" that are intimately familiar with ES and its operations. 

There is the problem we need to solve.  Training our Unit Commanders to be able to make decisions.  A Squadron Commander that does not even have a tech rating in all three CAP Missions, is not qualified to lead a SQD.  That simple.  Sure you can say "but they are this, and are that, and have great organizational skills".  Yeah, but they are not rooted in the Congressional Chartered Missions that CAP is responsible for.  A SQD Commander who never took the basic ES test, never sat through an Aerospace class, does not know what Cadets look like are........terrible leaders.  Relating to your unit members is paramount in an organization such as CAP. 

I hate to drag military talking points into this discussion, but Officers are supposed to be Generalists.  That means they know a little bit about everything, and not necessarily concentrate only on one thing.  Somehow CAP lost the "Officership Chapter" in the Professional Development Program.  My guess in the mid 1970's to early 1980's. 

Sorry.

As far as notifying your members via text message.  I am all for it.  However, when the person that you did not want to show up at the mission base, shows up because someone clicked his cellphone number by mistake, you only have yourself to blame.       

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on January 05, 2009, 11:14:53 PM
Well, thats certainly an interesting way to do things since all the personnel and equipment are (or should be) under the control of squadrons rather than individuals. 

...and what happens when we assume...    ;D

"That Others May Zoom"

Pumbaa

Quote from: Eclipse on January 06, 2009, 01:17:00 AM
...and what happens when we assume...    ;D

You and me... You and me!

I like the idea of the SMS, but when I think about it, I would miss a lot of them.  I cannot bring my cell into some of the secure labs.  Or a lot of tiems while driving i cannot hear the tone that and SMS came in.

I see weaknesses in the system unless you had it nailed to your hip

RiverAux

QuoteIn our wing Vehicles are under the control of Group Commanders, Aircraft are under the control of the wing commander.
Yes, yes, squadrons don't "own" vehicles or aircraft, but unless all your vans and aircraft are parked at group or wing hq then the squadron commander has operational control over them unless you've given keys to them to all your pilots and ground team leaders and UDF members (unless you apparently don't use any COVs for missions) then you're going to have to go through someone on the squadron staff to get them moving. 

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on January 06, 2009, 03:09:42 AM
(unless you apparently don't use any COVs for missions)

Very rarely - why would I take the time to haul out where the COV is (which in these parts is usually the opposite direction from the ELTs), take the time to transfer gear, etc., when I can roll my POV which is equipped for SAR?

To save 20 miles on my tires?

Most of the ground pounders in my state feel the same way - if you're flying past the vehicle on the way, sure, grab it, otherwise, don't delay responding.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Must be nice to have so much equipment that everyone has their own Lper and doesn't have to go and get the only one within 100 miles from squadron hq. 

SarDragon

Quote from: RiverAux on January 05, 2009, 11:14:53 PM
Well, thats certainly an interesting way to do things since all the personnel and equipment are (or should be) under the control of squadrons rather than individuals.  If it works for you, thats fine, but I wouldn't want to operate that way. 

I own the set of sticks residing in my 'Burb. You're telling me that they should be under squadron control? Most of out UDF folks have their own.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

IceNine

Quote from: RiverAux on January 06, 2009, 04:09:28 AM
Must be nice to have so much equipment that everyone has their own Lper and doesn't have to go and get the only one within 100 miles from squadron hq. 

It is. 

And I never said we don't use COV's I said they are under group control.  I have a set of keys and the keys where the vehicle is housed are accessible to anyone with the 4 digit code, all that it takes to get the code is a phone call and a need for the vehicle.

99% of the time the van doesn't roll without me knowing, I simply asked for a courtesy call when the thing was going to be unavailable so that when the alert officers get a call they know other arrangements must be made.

You should be careful not to confuse effective resource management (given that you don't have a clue of our situation) with waste, or some other twisted reality that makes you sleep better at night.

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

wuzafuzz

One added benefit of text messaging, it still works when cell phone towers are too loaded with calls for you to easily get through.  When my office got hammered by a tornado in May, cell phones simply didn't work.  Office phones didn't work (power outage). Text messages worked perfectly. 

Of course even texting will stop working if cell phone towers fall down.

Even if you don't use text messaging for CAP, let your family know it might work when phone calls won't.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."