Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

whatevah

for the lazy ones among us...

Quote15 March 2006
MEMORANDUM FOR ALL CAP UNIT COMMANDERS
SUBJECT: Changes to CAPM 39-1, CAP Uniform Manual
1. The National Board met on 3-4 March 2006 in Washington D.C. and considered a
number of changes to the Civil Air Patrol uniforms. Listed below are the items that were
approved and are effective immediately. This letter will constitute authority to implement
these changes.
        a. New CAP Distinctive Uniform (atch 1). The Board approved a new optional
CAP distinctive uniform for senior members. The uniform consists of the following:
           White aviator shirt – short or long sleeve (AF blue tie or CAP blue floppy bow
        -
           mandatory with long sleeve shirt)
        -  Blue AF-style pants/slack or skirt
        -  Dark blue 1 ΒΌ inch cotton web or elastic belt with silver buckle
        -  Blue AF-style epaulets
        -  Blue two-line nameplate
           CAP badges and devices as currently authorized on the aviator shirt with gray
        -
           slacks combination are authorized
        -  No military badges or devices
        -  Currently, No headgear authorized (wear of headgear to be reviewed for possible
           May NEC action)
        b. Removal of Wing/Region/National Patch. The Wing/Region/National patch is
no longer worn on the AF-style light blue shirt/blouse or any AF-style blue outer garment
(light weight jacket, pullover sweater, all weather coat, etc.) Wing/Region/National patches
are now optional on BDUs, flight suits, CAP field and utility uniforms. These patches must
be removed from blue AF-style garments by 1 August 2006.
        c. Black Leather Jacket (atch 2.) A black leather jacket with side entry and patch
pockets similar in style to the A-2 jacket was approved for wear by CAP senior members
with the aviator shirt combinations, utility uniform, CAP flight suit or CAP polo shirt with gray
slacks. The CAP command patch will be worn on the right breast with the black leather
name patch on the left breast. This jacket may not be worn with any AF-style uniforms.
        d. CAP Distinctive Flight suit. A dark blue NOMEX flight suit was approved for
wear by CAP members. This item will be worn with the same badges and devices as
the currently authorized CAP distinctive ultramarine blue flight suit. The ultramarine blue
flight suit will be phased out 1 March 2009.
         e. Embroidered grade insignia on flight suits. Embroidered grade insignia, as
well as the currently authorized plastic encased insignia, is now authorized on the CAP
distinctive flight suits. Ultramarine blue grade insignia will be worn on the ultramarine blue
NOMEX flight suit. Dark blue embroidered grade insignia will be worn on the dark blue
utility uniform and new NOMEX flight suit. The dark blue grade insignia will be available
shortly from Vanguard.
         f. Black t-shirts with CAP Field and Utility Uniforms. A black t-shirt is now
authorized for wear with these CAP distinctive uniforms, in addition to the currently
authorized white t-shirt.
         g. Optional patches previously worn on the right shoulder of the BDUs, field
and utility uniforms. Those patches that were removed to allow wear of the reverse
American flag on the right shoulder are now authorized to be worn centered on the lower
portion of the left pocket or corresponding position on the utility uniform. The mandatory
wear date of the reverse American flag was extended to 1 April 2007.
         h. Patches (atch 3). A new patch for members completing the ARCHER training
was approved as an optional left pocket patch on BDUs, field and utility uniforms and on
the right shoulder of flight suits. A CISM patch was also approved for those members
completing CISM training and assigned to a CISM team. This patch is worn in the same
position as the new ARCHER patch. Both patches will be available shortly from Vanguard.
2. Two additional uniform items were approved by the National Board but will require Air
Force approval prior to implementation. We are currently requesting Air Force approval to
wear the Gortex parka with a CAP distinctive ultramarine blue tab and embroidered grade
insignia for the AF-style flight suit.
3. Watch for additional information concerning the criteria for a new Homeland Security
Ribbon and a new Safety Milestone Award that were also approved.
4. If you need additional information on any of these items or have questions please
contact Membership Services at 1-877-227-9142 or email sparker@cap.gov.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

MIKE

One of my cadets knew of the wear date extension for the reversed American flag patch before me... That just ain't right.

Mike Johnston

whatevah

he must have read it on CadetStuff, they've been talking about the stuff there since the boards...  a few people who were there took notes and posted them in the forum when they got home. :)
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

MIKE

Don't recall seeing anything on CS about the extension.
Mike Johnston

shorning

I still don't understand why we have a new corporate uniform.  I foresee a lot of uniform abuse in CAP's future.  I'm getting tired of people wanting to play Air Force...

iowacap

when they talk about removing the wing patch from all AF-style blues and that does that mean the ones that everyone had to wear or is that a different patch?

whatevah

yup, they mean the normal wing patch.  currently on the left shoulder of BDUs and Blues shirts
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

footballrun21

Quote from: whatevah on March 16, 2006, 07:25:33 AM
yup, they mean the normal wing patch.  currently on the left shoulder of BDUs and Blues shirts

Why?  That just seems so stupid.  How come NHQ is putting out all these radical unifrom changes all of a sudden?
C/2d Lt. Stephen Pettit, CAP
New Jersey Wing

MIKE

Quote from: footballrun21 on March 17, 2006, 01:16:23 AM

Why?  That just seems so stupid.  How come NHQ is putting out all these radical unifrom changes all of a sudden?

I don't think taking Wing/Region/National shoulder patches off the service uniforms and associated outerwear is stupid... Actually quite pleased with the change.  I'll probably keep my wing patch on my BDUs even if they don't make me do it.

The new CAP distinctive uniform and leather jacket is probably the most radical change of the bunch.  Removing/moving a few patches isn't a big deal to me.  I can get flag patches for a buck each... No biggie.

People were doing the black t-shirt thing in CAP Field Uniforms anyway. [cough]MAWG Supplement.[/cough]  Would have preferred navy blue instead of black though... Maybe that is too Coast Guard for CAP though.

Cloth grade on zoom bags is just CAP finally getting with the program... Good change.

Grade slides for Go-Tex... GOOD!

I would have kept the right shoulder patches on the right shoulder and just put the flag underneath like the Army had been doing with the BDU.

Mike Johnston

Matt

Quote from: MIKE on March 17, 2006, 04:25:55 AM
Quote from: footballrun21 on March 17, 2006, 01:16:23 AM

I don't think taking Wing/Region/National shoulder patches off the service uniforms and associated outerwear is stupid... Actually quite pleased with the change.  I'll probably keep my wing patch on my BDUs even if they don't make me do it.

The new CAP distinctive uniform and leather jacket is probably the most radical change of the bunch.  Removing/moving a few patches isn't a big deal to me.  I can get flag patches for a buck each... No biggie.

People were doing the black t-shirt thing in CAP Field Uniforms anyway. [cough]MAWG Supplement.[/cough]  Would have preferred navy blue instead of black though... Maybe that is too Coast Guard for CAP though.

Cloth grade on zoom bags is just CAP finally getting with the program... Good change.

Grade slides for Go-Tex... GOOD!

I would have kept the right shoulder patches on the right shoulder and just put the flag underneath like the Army had been doing with the BDU.

Coucurred...

The reasoning behind the removal of patches is to look closer to Big Brother (USAF).

Hence, the new corp. uniform that makes us look like commercial pilots... however, scuttlebutt had it that they were trying to do something similar with the regular blues, going back to at least the old blue epulets for SMs, and something of the sort of using metal grade on service coats.

I think the new Nametags are kinda BLAH looking, but I can deal.

As for right shoulder patches, I think they should be placed on the left shoulder in place of the Wing Patch... then again, I like my comm badge, and probably wouldn't change it...

What's funny with the black jacket, is one could have worn it anyways (without patches of course) previous to the regs... since it would have been a "civilian outergarment".

P.S. I'll give it 18months before the Air Force thinks we look to alike...
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

pixelwonk

Quote from: Matt on March 17, 2006, 04:51:35 AM

I think the new Nametags are kinda BLAH looking, but I can deal.

Don't look at it as "blah."

Instead, look at it as "bling-challenged"  ...and to me, that is not a bad thing.

shorning

I've been thinking about the new corporate uniform trying to figure out what bugs me about it.  Today, I think I finally figured it out.  It's the grade insignia and nametag.  None of the rest of it really matters to me.

If it were up to me, I'd simply wear uniform rank and nametags like we did in the early 80s for all uniforms.  I think the seniors' uniform was distinctly different that the AF uniform.  If we simply kept the 3-line blue nameplate that cadets wear (and seniors used to wear) and went back to the old blue shoulder marks (like the current gray ones, but blue), I think I'd like it better.  Heck, the white shirt isn't that bad.  Find some kind of service coat, and authorize a flight cap, and I think we're on track for a uniform all seniors could wear.  Personally, I think our old uniforms were a lot more distinguishable than the new corporate uniform. 

But, hey, no one asked my opinion...

merlin0085

You mean it would look to normal?  ;) The Navy Blue Undershirt looks sharp with the ODUs we wear... besides CAP is bigger than the USCG... and no one actually knows what a USCG uniform looks like, so it's not like anyone would get confused.
Stew Sibert

Major_Chuck

Quote from: merlin0085 on March 17, 2006, 11:58:54 AM

You mean it would look to normal?  ;) The Navy Blue Undershirt looks sharp with the ODUs we wear... besides CAP is bigger than the USCG... and no one actually knows what a USCG uniform looks like, so it's not like anyone would get confused.

No no no.  No looking normal!  Reconvene special super secret uniform board and change color of all-tshirts to fucia.

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

Becks

Quote from: Major_Chuck on March 17, 2006, 12:37:27 PM

No no no.  No looking normal!  Reconvene special super secret uniform board and change color of all-tshirts to fucia.

Yeah then we could bring back the berry boards, theyd match great lol

BBATW