Organizational Excellence specialty track

Started by swamprat86, December 10, 2008, 12:51:30 PM

James Shaw

I have almost all of the qualifications for this except RSC and UCC. I did SOS instead but this requires in residence for RSC and UCC was just getting started when I was a Squadron CC. I will participate in this if it is formally offered.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

CPT Anderson

As a member of the Organizational Excellence track team, It is NOT just intended for "future commanders," it is meant for those who have multidisciplinary skill sets in CAP who will be able to mentor those CAP members that need help from someone (because we all need help in some area for our squadrons).  It is not for the GOB or a GOB system either.  If you notice, it is the only specialty track with 4 levels.  I understand someone is upset with the wording of "few of you will make it to the Executive level," I'll pass that on.  Remember, this is just in the development phase, we still have a lot to work out, but as a cadre member, I would ask that you have patience as we figure this out, so your feedback is helpful, but the WTFs, etc aren't.

Thanks.
Capt Chelle L. Anderson, CAP
(CPT, US Army, RET)

arajca

Quote from: CPT Anderson on January 22, 2009, 04:22:13 AM
As a member of the Organizational Excellence track team, It is NOT just intended for "future commanders," it is meant for those who have multidisciplinary skill sets in CAP who will be able to mentor those CAP members that need help from someone (because we all need help in some area for our squadrons).  It is not for the GOB or a GOB system either.  If you notice, it is the only specialty track with 4 levels.  I understand someone is upset with the wording of "few of you will make it to the Executive level," I'll pass that on.  Remember, this is just in the development phase, we still have a lot to work out, but as a cadre member, I would ask that you have patience as we figure this out, so your feedback is helpful, but the WTFs, etc aren't.

Thanks.
If it's not a Commander's track, why is the first senior level service requirement
QuoteA mandatory 1 year of effective command at the squadron level or above.
?

Definitely makes it a Commander's Track, non-commanders cannot progress above the technician level.

I would like to see what the proposed specialty badge looks like.

Stroke

CPT Anderson,
I'm glad to see that people at the National Level know that people are discussing ideas like the Organizational Excellence Specialty Track at places like this.  I do hope that this track becomes active and that some of our inputs get through.  Could you give a little insight as to when this might be.  I know I am eager to begin.  Thank you for any information that you can provide. 
Humble - Credible - Approachable

ThorntonOL

I have to agree after looking through the requirements it is primarily a commander's track,
who else has the qualifications to go anywhere with it?
Former 1st Lt. Oliver L. Thornton
NY-292
Broome Tioga Composite Squadron

flyguy06

So, is this the criterira they will be looking at in the future to be Wing and region Commanders? Only Squadron Commander is a requirement for this track. It didnt say anything abouthaving tobe a Wing or region Commander. But my question is will the highers that be be loking at this to choose future National Region and Wing commanders?

FW

I think having an OE track rating would only help a prospective group/wing commander.  However, like the Wilson award, it would probably be only 1 of many factors.  Since region/cc's have already been a wing/cc, it would probably be less of a factor in the selection process.

NavLT

I See this as yet another attempt to get a program going that works on grooming members to lead the program.  The problem is that no program works without the support and effort of the organizations leadership.  If the current specialty tracks and Phases of the program are being given to members who are not "Excellent" then how do we fix that?

I have seen little or no momentum in my wing to have anyone appointed, anyone encouraged to enroll and no discussion at all below wing about making it work.

Commanders need to ensure that members qualified and capable of training do so and that the training be quality and quantity to meet the needs of the organization.  If you run a PD report for the wing and look for Masters in specialties you find few and they are all in a couple 3-4 specialties which implies nobody is pursing the others.  That is the problem we need to fix. 

There is too much OJT, signed off by the commander due to a lack of a senior or master rated member.  We need to move to multiday academies or online training with exams.  Commanders could approve serving in positions and doing tasks like giving presentations etc....

V/R

swamprat86

I believe that the PCR CC just stepped down recently to head this program up at National, so hopefully we should see some movement on this soon.

I have submitted my paperowrk to be a mentor a while ago and I haven't heard anything back yet.  Has anyone else applied or gotten a response back?

dwb

Quote from: NavLT on April 24, 2009, 05:16:44 PMI have seen little or no momentum in my wing to have anyone appointed, anyone encouraged to enroll and no discussion at all below wing about making it work.

Well, according to the original OE memo, Wings were given until Apr 1 to get an OE committee and mentors in place, so they could start accepting enrollment applications.

I'm hoping they announce something at the Wing Conference this year (I won't be there to hear it, though).  It wouldn't surprise me if it took them a couple more months before they could start enrolling students, just because it's tough to get a whole new program off the ground.

That's just for our Wing; I'm not sure if other Wings have already started accepting students.

Smithsonia

I have been confused by this track and waiting for clarification... which seems to be coming through, now. All tracks require some boiling down and definition before they are understood, even by those who propose it. That stated...

What has impressed me is the number of highly qualified CAP Senior Officers that see this track as very positive. We have former Wing Commanders, Region Commanders, Vice Commanders, etc. joining up, signing on, and mentoring. To have this higher officer level sign up is impressive. To be mentored by any them is a privilege.

The fact that they see virtue, leaves me wondering about my lack of initial vision
(on my part only) and makes me disposed to give it a try. I'm not command material, but I do want to help where needed.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

flyguy06

I want to enroll in this specialty track.

Ned

Quote from: swamprat86 on April 24, 2009, 05:23:23 PMHas anyone else applied or gotten a response back?

Yes, I recently received an email with a pdf attachment announcing the action.

It looks like they are rolling it out.  It is new, so I suspect they are going slowly.

Ned Lee

swamprat86

I emailed National about it and they said that the applications were forwarded to either the Region CC or Wing CC, depending on level for mentors.  It looks like I am going to have to ask our Wing admin if we got it back.  To be continued......