Senior Membership Application

Started by TurbineTillis, March 13, 2006, 04:03:19 PM

TurbineTillis

I am former Air Force, and attended my first CAP meeting a couple of weeks ago.  One member told me it took several months before someone brought him an application.  Is there a website, or link I can go to and download it?

If anyone has it and would like to e-mail it to me, that would be great!

Be Blessed,

Mark Tillis
marktillis@justhelicopters.com

Pylon

Welcome Mark!

Glad to here you're interested in getting involved in CAP.  Certainly it shouldn't take months to get your application going.  When visiting the local squadron, you should make sure you get an appointment (if necessary) to chat with the unit commander for 5 to 10 minutes.  Introduce yourself and give him or her some information on your background, experience, and interests.  You should also find out who the Administrative and/or Personnel officer is for the unit you'll be joining; this individual can hook you up with all the necessary forms, guide you through how to fill them out, and hand you the obligatory fingerprint card.

You can download the membership application form (CAPF 12) online, in either Word format (fillable electronically) or Adobe PDF format (just print and fill-out by hand).    However, you won't be able to get the fingerprint card online, so you will need to get that from the unit.    On the other hand, it might show great initiative to have your application already filled out and prompt the unit to get you a fingerprint card quickly.

In any case, welcome to the organization.  Undoubtedly, you're going to have plenty of questions.  Feel free to post away here and ask as much as you'd like.  There are members here with experience in CAP for 5, 10, 20, and 30+ years.

Welcome aboard.   ;)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

TurbineTillis

Thank you for the Welcome! :)  I'm very glad to be here.

What website do I need to go to to find CAPF12?

Becks

Most forms and regs are protected for members only inside E-services, however if you would like I can email you a CAPF12.

BBATW

Pylon

Quote from: TurbineTillis on March 13, 2006, 04:48:20 PM
Thank you for the Welcome! :)  I'm very glad to be here.

What website do I need to go to to find CAPF12?

Actually, all the forms and publications (except for a few items) are now available publically.  Simply click on the links in my last post (click on "Word format" for forms in Microsoft Word, or click on "Adobe PDF format" to download the forms in that format.

These are all on the level2.cap.gov website under Home -> Membership Services -> Publications, if you don't want to follow the direct link. 

Becks

BBATW

dwb

No they're not...

Forms Listing (Word | PDF).

CAP Form 12, Application for Senior Membership (Word | PDF)

(Dang, Mike beat me to it!)

TurbineTillis

Thank you for the information Mike, Becks, and Justin.   Justin, maybe you can beat Mike next time. :D

I've got the application, now all I need is the fingerprint card.  I think one of the members is going to bring it this week.

Take care,

Mark T.

Pylon

Quote from: TurbineTillis on March 13, 2006, 07:41:49 PM
Thank you for the information Mike, Becks, and Justin.   Justin, maybe you can beat Mike next time. :D

I've got the application, now all I need is the fingerprint card.  I think one of the members is going to bring it this week.

Take care,

Mark T.

Mark,

Good luck with the membership and your entry into the sometimes-confusing "World of CAP."

An additional suggestion on the fingerprint card, call around to the various local law enforcement agencies where you live (town police, county sheriff, state troopers, city police, etc.) and see if any of them charge fees for voluntary fingerprinting.  Many police departments will do it for free for residents in their jurisdiction, so if you encounter a department that charges a fee for the fingerprinting, you can likely "shop around" for a different local police agency who won't charge you.

Might as well get it for free... you'll need to save that money for your CAP uniforms investment.   ;)

MIKE

Why can't we do what the Coast Guard Auxiliary does for fingerprinting?  Train our members to do it. 

Mike Johnston

Pylon

Quote from: MIKE on March 13, 2006, 08:08:59 PM
Why can't we do what the Coast Guard Auxiliary does for fingerprinting?  Train our members to do it. 

That would first depend on whether or not the FBI would accept the fingerprint cards administered by someone who is not duly sworn as a police or peace officer.

If they would allow it, it would be great for squadrons to just have a fingerprinting hardware set on hand and get one or two individuals trained by a local law enforcement agency.

Becks

I went to the local PD and had it done.  I was informed that normally it is $5 for the prints but the officer gave them to me for free when he found out what they were for.   :)

BBATW

MIKE

Quote from: Pylon on March 13, 2006, 08:13:01 PM
That would first depend on whether or not the FBI would accept the fingerprint cards administered by someone who is not duly sworn as a police or peace officer.

Yeah... It was the same cards, 'cept I had to have two done for the CGAux instead of just the one for CAP... I don't think the cards for the CGAux went to the FBI (directly)... They went to a USCG agency.
Mike Johnston

dwb

Remember, you need to use CAP's fingerprint card.  Although it is the standard FBI form, it has some CAP-specific stuff printed on it, and CAP won't take other fingerprint cards.

Becks

If I recall it has "Volunteer: Civil Air Patrol Maxwell AFB" stamped on it correct?

BBATW

MIKE

Quote from: Becks on March 13, 2006, 08:33:14 PM
If I recall it has "Volunteer: Civil Air Patrol Maxwell AFB" stamped on it correct?

Yep... CAP added a space for the Charter Number in the organization box.  In both cases the cards were pre-printed with organization specific info.
Mike Johnston

Major_Chuck

Welcome to CAP.

We have a unit with a reserve police officer in it and she usually does all the fingerprinting for the squadrons in her area.  She does't charge for it.

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

Nick

Just a tid for everyone...

You do not "have" to be a peace officer to do fingerprints... there are gobs and tons of civilians who do fingerprinting (i.e., the civilians at personnel security offices all around the government/military). 

However, it is strongly recommended that if you are going to do fingerprints, you take a fingerprinting course that follows FBI recommendations so you're familiar with all the small details of the art, such as proper pressure, rolling technique, how much ink to apply, properly completing the fields on the FD-258 (since there is no CAP reference on the proper codes to use in hair/eye/POB fields), etc... and so you don't get every card you submit rejected.

Plus, if you want to do prints at your squadron, get the right equipment; don't try to half-FPOC it.  Go to www.sirchie.com and buy the right stuff.  I do the prints for my squadron, but I'd love to suck my group into coughing up the money for an AFIS machine and I'd be glad to print everyone in the area. :)
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

SarDragon

Quote from: Pylon on March 13, 2006, 08:13:01 PM

If they would allow it, it would be great for squadrons to just have a fingerprinting hardware set on hand and get one or two individuals trained by a local law enforcement agency.
I have been doing prints for years, and signing the cards "D. Bowles, Maj, CAP" and have never had one kicked back. We have a kit at our unit, and once you are trained, they are very easy to do. Actually, now that I think of it, I am self-trained. The primary consideration is the quality of the prints.

See K'base article 989.

Quote from: CAP Knowledgebase article 989If you wish guidance, request a small training package by sending your name and address to the address below:

Confidential Screening
HQ Civil Air Patrol
105 S. Hansell St
Maxwell AFB AL 36112

[wow, that's a lot of responses while I was typing]

Yes, using the proper card is becoming more important. They are kicking them back now if they aren't on a card with the CAP overprint.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SKYKING607

Anyone know if CAP is looking at "live-scan" for fingerprinting?
CAWG Career Captain

Matt

Quote from: SKYKING607 on March 14, 2006, 06:09:11 PM

That would be awesomeness... however... I think we may need to fit it into the 20 - 50-year budget...
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

Pylon

While it sure has a very cool, modern "nifty" factor to it, I don't think it's practical nor needed at this point.  There are no major problems right now with members not joining or hesitating to join because it's incredibly difficult to obtain ink fingerprints.  If a member isn't motivated enough to find a local PD and get the ink job done, then he or she isn't the kind of individual I want in my squadron anyways.

Would live scan fingerprinting make it quicker to sign-up potential S'members?  Probably speed up the process by a few days, but at a huge financial cost.  Unless all the equipment organization-wide were to be donated, I don't see it as anything we need to look into.  CAP as an organization has waaay too many other areas we need to spend that kind of money on first before we'd consider a novelty investment like live-scan fingerprinting.

In my opinion, that's a solution in search of a problem and unfortunately we already have enough of those in CAP.

pixelwonk

I'd say the likelyhood of that happening will probably coincide with the surge in member recruitment topping 30 members per squadron per month.