Main Menu

Boot Inserts

Started by ♠SARKID♠, July 14, 2008, 03:42:52 AM

♠SARKID♠

Does anybody know of a good gel insole insert that can handle the rough and tumble of missions and is available in a size 14?  My boots are horrible on my feet, and garuntee blisters if I do anything active in them and I'm trying to find a good gel to aleviate the problem.  Unfortunately Dr. Scholl's only goes up to size 13 and I don't know how high of quality anything else is.

_

Spenco Gel Insole (size 14 shoe is a size 6 insole)
Spenco makes pretty good stuff.

I don't personally like gel insoles.  I can, however, attest to the following two types of insoles, both are foam.
Spenco Polysorb Hiker
SOLE Dean Karnazes Signature Adition Custom Footbeds

They make a thicker version of the second one but I never have enough room in the boot for a think insole.

IceNine

I have always had excellent luck with the chiropractic type inserts bought at the local red wing store.

You put them in the oven for 2 minutes and then walk in them for a few minutes.  Amazing and they last even in my work boots for 8-12 months of 10-15 hour days
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

♠SARKID♠

Well, I ordered a set of the Spenco inserts.  We'll see how they do in my boots and if they work well I'll get a second set for my shoes (skateboarding shoes don't do your feet any favors)

♠SARKID♠

Just got my Spencos in the mail today and man do they make a difference.  My stock inserts were just the cloth covered cardboardish type and really maimed my feet but I think theses new ones have promise.

mikeylikey

So will you be sleeping in your boots tonight??
What's up monkeys?

♠SARKID♠

Negative ghostwriter, they ain't that comfortable.  Besides, how would I wear my bunny slippers?

mikeylikey

True that.  Let us know after a few weeks how the inserts held up!
What's up monkeys?

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: mikeylikey on July 19, 2008, 01:31:20 AM
True that.  Let us know after a few weeks how the inserts held up!

Just got off of EAA (Fon Du Lac base, not NBB in Oshkosh) and its the first extended use of the inserts.  They work pretty well except that the arch is back in my heel.  I also have to do some more trimming of excess material in the toe.  All in all, they're fairly comfortable and much better than what I had.

mikeylikey

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on July 31, 2008, 03:14:25 AM

Just got off of EAA (Fon Du Lac base, not NBB in Oshkosh) and its the first extended use of the inserts. 

Did you see that Jet-Pack?? 
What's up monkeys?

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: mikeylikey on July 31, 2008, 04:16:24 AM
Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on July 31, 2008, 03:14:25 AM

Just got off of EAA (Fon Du Lac base, not NBB in Oshkosh) and its the first extended use of the inserts. 

Did you see that Jet-Pack?? 

Sadly no, thats all up at Airventure in Oshkosh but I did hear about it on the radio.  I work at Fon Du Lac Airfield about 20 minutes south of there.  We handle much of the overflow and diversions so the most interesting things we see are maybe a couple of neat homebuilts or some classics.

dogboy

My MD recommended Spenco ORTHOTIC ARCH SUPPORT (Full Length). I've used them for several years and I'm very satisfied. You might have your doctor take a look at your feet.

addo1

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on July 14, 2008, 03:42:52 AM
Does anybody know of a good gel insole insert that can handle the rough and tumble of missions and is available in a size 14?  My boots are horrible on my feet, and garuntee blisters if I do anything active in them and I'm trying to find a good gel to aleviate the problem.  Unfortunately Dr. Scholl's only goes up to size 13 and I don't know how high of quality anything else is.

I wear a size 15, so I feel your pain... I got a real good one at Wal-Mart... I cant remember the name, but it is like a red velvet insert...
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010