Moral Leadership Foundation Module

Started by Larry, July 14, 2008, 02:03:53 AM

Larry

My son just joined CAP.  He has a goal to become C/Amn before the wing competition in Aug.  I found fig 2 of CAPR 52- 16, which list the requirements for advancement but can not find the specifics of "Moral Leadership Foundation Module".  Is there not a web page that will detail step by step what exactly is required?  Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

larry

MIKE

Mike Johnston

Larry

Thanks Mike,  I have that, but is it only based on the 1st chapter (pg 13), or the whole book?

Thanks again,
larry

Pylon

The "Foundation Module" is essentially a primer to the Moral Leadership program.  An MLO (Moral Leadership Officer) basically explains how the typical ML session works, how the "FAPS" approach to the case studies works, etc.  The intent is to ensure that the new recruit gets why we do ML, knows how to participate in the program and understands what's going on.  The module he needs to complete is only on pages 10-13 (pg 13. being the student handout). 

Also just be advised you may see the words "Moral Leadership" and "Character Development" used interchangeably 

It, however, is not a "self-study" type of requirement.  You should work with the Moral Leadership Officer or Chaplain at the squadron to ensure he has completed this classroom-based session. If the squadron doesn't have an MLO and Chaplain, you should work with the Squadron Commander who would likely be the one implementing the ML program.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Larry

Thanks Pylon,

We don't have the manning for the MLO, and I was hoping that we could "self study" it.  Guess we'll just have to wait for the next meeting.  Thanks again.

Pylon

Quote from: Larry on July 14, 2008, 05:09:46 PM
Thanks Pylon,

We don't have the manning for the MLO, and I was hoping that we could "self study" it.  Guess we'll just have to wait for the next meeting.  Thanks again.

No problem.

Though the introductory module says this bit "Unlike the other lessons in this publication, this lesson is conducted as an informal lecture with discussion questions. Cadets should follow along using the worksheet located on page 13. There is no case study." since the ML program as a whole is a guided-discussion in a group setting, it would be odd for the introductory module to be self-study.  Though there isn't anything regulating that you must do it in a group setting, it's pretty clear from CAPR 52-16, Section 1-2, Section D, particularly item 2b that the program is intended to be done by a Moral Leadership instructor. 

Since the introductory doesn't involve a real case study and cadet recruits might be coming through only one at a particular time, it would stand to reason it can be done one-on-one.  But it should still be done by whomever is leading your monthly required Moral Leadership discussions (i/e: the person in the squadron who understands the ML/CD program the best).

From the introduction in the "Values for Living" book, a bit of background on why ML in general is not self-study: "Moral leadership is designed to allow cadets to examine their own moral standards and values in the framework of a guided discussion."  ... "According to The Guidebook for Air Force Instructors, a "guided discussion is an instructor-controlled group process in which students share information and experiences to achieve a learning objective. . . The group interacts in response to questions, and the instructor refrains from entering the discussion as an active participant"  ...and... "Second, case studies enable cadets from different age and educational levels to work together analyzing the stories and offering solutions to the problems. The cadets in a particular squadron are not usually the same age, grade, or gender. Case studies allow all cadets to contribute as they are able and as they desire."  ...and... "Participation and contribution to the group process creates ownership of ideas and perspectives by the cadets. This clarifies their own standards of behavior and helps them see where they are deficient. "When students make a public commitment in a discussion, they are more apt to follow through with a change in behavior" (AFMAN 36-2236)."

And that's probably much more info than you bargained for.  ;-)

As for staffing for an MLO - it's pretty difficult to find a good one, in my experience as well.  Our squadron doesn't currently have one either.  Good luck!
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP