Main Menu

NBB Challenge Coins

Started by dagrimes65, December 24, 2005, 02:54:17 AM

dagrimes65

Has anything ever come of the idea of getting a challenge coin for the NBB

Pace

Ideas have been introduced and thoroughly thought out for making coins for several different NCSAs (I helped design one of them) including NBB, but so far no joy.  The problem is the expense.  The activity director could tack the cost onto the activity fee, but I'm sure that takes a bit of pressure at NHQ to do.

To my knowledge, only COS and NHGA give coins.
Lt Col, CAP

dagrimes65

What about the individuals putting the money up front as they did for the SARS watches? the initial order would absorb the set up fee and any additional orders could then be gotten at cost minus the set-up fee.

Just a thought, I don't get them often thats why I act on them :D

Eclipse

Just as an FYI -

The initial order is where you have the most cost.

Assuming you use the CAP seal on the back, so you only have to pay for engraving one face, initial cost, for 100 coins, with art, would be about $10 per.  Minimu order is 50, but we did the math at 100 to flatten the cost more.

From there you can buy them in lots of 50 at about $3.50 each (less than a patch)

"That Others May Zoom"

Pace

While technically anyone can spend the money and have CAP activity coins made, somehow I highly doubt the people at NHQ who oversee these programs would like these being produced by someone other than them.  There was a very well made design for an NBB coin floating around last year, and the 2005 CLA class had what I thought was an outstanding design for our coin.  The CLA coins were ready to make (had the best priced manufacturer, had submitted the design, knew the quantity to produce, etc.), but apparently it didn't have the proper approval(s) from NHQ so it never saw the light of day.
Lt Col, CAP

Eclipse

Seriously, I doubt the people at NHQ would care one way or another, and would probably welcome someone else taking the reins.

The only say the could really have is blocking the use of copywritten logos.

The economies of scale, however, would indicate that you would need NHQ help
to sell them across the board.

"That Others May Zoom"

Pace

Quote from: Eclipse on December 24, 2005, 09:57:26 PM
Seriously, I doubt the people at NHQ would care one way or another, and would probably welcome someone else taking the reins.

By all means, try and find out.  ;D
Lt Col, CAP

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on December 24, 2005, 09:57:26 PM

The only say the could really have is blocking the use of copywritten logos.

The economies of scale, however, would indicate that you would need NHQ help
to sell them across the board.

The CAP seal and emblem are covered by neither copyright (incorrect term) nor trademark (correct term). Their use is governed by CAPR 900-2, and Title 36 U.S.C. Section 40306.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Correct on all points.

In either case NHQ controls their art, were you to use original art, you could do whatever you were able to finance.

Again, if you are motivated on this, I would suggest contacting the comander of NBB and making the suggestion - but make sure yo follow through as well.

I can't imagine why the CC would be against this, since it would be self-funding and could start a good tradition.

My GTM coin rarely leaves my pocket...

"That Others May Zoom"