Main Menu

FLWG Encampment News release

Started by BillB, July 07, 2008, 11:45:28 AM

BillB

ACCIDENT ON LAST NIGHT OF ENCAMPMENT
FLORIDA WING HEADQUARTERS – A serious accident occurred at the Florida Wing Summer Encampment at Camp Blanding, Florida on Friday night, injuring two cadets, one seriously.
Cadet Major Andrea Bastista, 16, a cadet at Miami Spring Optimist Cadet Squadron and a cadet staff officer at the encampment, was injured when struck by a moving all-terrain vehicle.
She was airlifted from Camp Blanding to Gainesville Regional Hospital at the University of Florida where she remains in intensive care.
The family appreciates the many prayers and best wishes for their daughter's speedy recovery, but asks for no visitors at this time.
Florida Wing Cadet Programs Directorate has set up a web email address, getwell@flcadet.com, for those wishing to offer Andrea their prayers and best wishes.
Andrea, a junior at Miami Palmetto High School, joined Civil Air Patrol in August of 2004, following in her sister Alysandra footsteps. She earned the Amelia Earhart Award in April 2007. Andrea is also the 2007 Florida Wing Phase Three Cadet of the Year.
The other cadet injured in this incident was treated for minor injuries and released.
- 30 -
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

JoeTomasone

Cmdbuddy

Christie Ducote, Capt, CAP

CadetProgramGuy

I think I speak for all of us, when we wish this Cadet a speedy recovery.

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: BillB on July 07, 2008, 11:45:28 AM
ACCIDENT ON LAST NIGHT OF ENCAMPMENT
FLORIDA WING HEADQUARTERS – A serious accident occurred at the Florida Wing Summer Encampment at Camp Blanding, Florida on Friday night, injuring two cadets, one seriously.
Cadet Major Andrea Bastista, 16, a cadet at Miami Spring Optimist Cadet Squadron and a cadet staff officer at the encampment, was injured when struck by a moving all-terrain vehicle.
She was airlifted from Camp Blanding to Gainesville Regional Hospital at the University of Florida where she remains in intensive care.
The family appreciates the many prayers and best wishes for their daughter’s speedy recovery, but asks for no visitors at this time.
Florida Wing Cadet Programs Directorate has set up a web email address, getwell@flcadet.com, for those wishing to offer Andrea their prayers and best wishes.
Andrea, a junior at Miami Palmetto High School, joined Civil Air Patrol in August of 2004, following in her sister Alysandra footsteps. She earned the Amelia Earhart Award in April 2007. Andrea is also the 2007 Florida Wing Phase Three Cadet of the Year.
The other cadet injured in this incident was treated for minor injuries and released.
- 30 -

That and this....

Although the CAP did not identify the vehicle's driver and did not say if any charges have been filed, sources at the scene told the Tampa, Fla.-based online military e-zine News of the Force (newsoftheforce.org) today that a CAP cadet was driving the all-terrain vehicle when the accident occurred.

was at http://newsblaze.com/story/20080707112956tsop.nb/topstory.html

Stonewall

In the Air Force and at my police department we have to get "certified" to drive ATVs.  I hope the person driving was certified, especially if it was a military ATV.  Someone's head will roll.  Naturally, the most important thing is the health of the young cadet.  Hope she recovers quickly and without life long problems.

Before I got to my police department, a lieutenant allowed a 16 year old female sit on and ride an ATV during 4th of July.  In less than 5 seconds she drove the thing up a sand dune, flipped it, broke her neck and an 18 year police veteran lost his career and was sued.  Luckily the girl survived and recovered.
Serving since 1987.

mikeylikey

I hope she has a quick recovery.  Hope the ATV driver has a good lawyer. 
What's up monkeys?

Stonewall

Well, Mikey, if it's true that a cadet was operating the ATV, let's hope the owner and/or the senior member(s) supervising such an activity have a good lawyer.

You know, I'm the last one that wants to take "fun" away from cadets.  In fact, I've been berated for "pushing them into the fire", but it takes maturity, experience and good old common sense to know what cadets should and shouldn't get involved in. 

I have experience with ATVs, both as a law enforcement officer and in the Air Force.  They are not to be taken lightly and should never be used unless someone's gone through the accredited and recognized certification.  Even the training can take it's toll.  In 2006 we had a Combat Rescue Officer (CRO) at Patrick AFB during one of the ATV certification courses break his neck.  This is a special operations rescue officer in the Air Force, during ATV training on flat terrain.  Just think what an inexperienced 16 or 17 year old yahoo can do, especially with a "cool" senior member trying to be "cool" with the cadets.

^^^NOT SAYING THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED^^^ but I have seen it in my 21 years of CAP far too many times.  Not with ATVs, but in other areas where I've had to step in.  Yes, me, the "gung ho" over zealous grunt guy who apparently runs a Marine Corps Boot Camp style squadron <<<-----So I've been told.
Serving since 1987.

Eclipse

Quote from: mikeylikey on July 08, 2008, 01:00:38 AMHope the ATV driver has a good lawyer. 

Well, theoretically, if all parties were operating within regs and local polices, then CAP should defend the driver against any lawsuits, etc.

However this is also the "nightmare scenario" we hang over our members' heads about proper uniform wear, credentials, training, and procedures. 

We make a huge deal about bending an airplane, but this kind of activity occurs all the time, and in a blink bad things can happen, and all of a sudden the agency you have been donating your weekends to can't talk to you and the insurance company is measuring the insignia on your uniform to find a loophole on paying a claim. In this case, since it was an encampment, its definitely going to be on the corporate side of the house.

My guess is that at a minimum this generates new rules regarding who can drive ATV's and golf carts during CAP activities (hint: over 18 and with a valid driver's license, and possibly a CAP DL), and may well prohibit their use by cadets.

"That Others May Zoom"

BillB

CAPR 77-1 prohibits CAP from OWNING an ATV, but I can't find any regulation on useage. Since the accident happened on a military base (FL National Guard Training Site) what regulations or laws apply? Nowhere have I seen the age of the cadet driving the ATV.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

mikeylikey

Quote from: Eclipse on July 08, 2008, 01:57:46 AM
My guess is that at a minimum this generates new rules regarding who can drive ATV's and golf carts during CAP activities (hint: over 18 and with a valid driver's license, and possibly a CAP DL), and may well prohibit their use by cadets.

Unfortunately that is usually what happens after an accident like this.

I would hope that a CAP member did not run her over, or someone that knows her.  That is a terrible thing to live with.

This is all speculation so far anyway, we have no idea what happened, who was driving, etc.  We will wait for the Safety Report to be leaked onto NOTF.    
What's up monkeys?

mikeylikey

Quote from: BillB on July 08, 2008, 02:26:03 AM
CAPR 77-1 prohibits CAP from OWNING an ATV, but I can't find any regulation on useage. Since the accident happened on a military base (FL National Guard Training Site) what regulations or laws apply? Nowhere have I seen the age of the cadet driving the ATV.

hmm....I still think that common sense would apply.  As in CAP says no ATV's, thus members should not use an ATV at a CAP activity?!?

Just like 10 years ago it was very common for CAP members to be given a military license and check out vehicles for use at Encampment.  That practiced has almost completely stopped. 
What's up monkeys?

Stonewall

Quote from: mikeylikey on July 08, 2008, 02:41:44 AMJust like 10 years ago it was very common for CAP members to be given a military license and check out vehicles for use at Encampment.  That practiced has almost completely stopped. 

Heck, I was a FLWG cadet and had a senior member (without grade) check out a 2 1/2 ton truck to cart the cadets around during a first aid training weekend back in 1988.  I guess he got qualified or something but the Army gave it to him to drive us around in.  And yes, this was on Camp Blanding where the ATV accident happened.  How times have changed.
Serving since 1987.

Eclipse

Quote from: mikeylikey on July 08, 2008, 02:41:44 AM
Quote from: BillB on July 08, 2008, 02:26:03 AM

hmm....I still think that common sense would apply.  As in CAP says no ATV's, thus members should not use an ATV at a CAP activity?!?

Just like 10 years ago it was very common for CAP members to be given a military license and check out vehicles for use at Encampment.  That practiced has almost completely stopped. 

There's pics all over the place of atv's, gators, and golf carts in use at encampments and other activities.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

In California Wing, cadets don't operate golf carts, period.
We don't use them at Encampment, but they do get used at some of the larger air shows.

And yes there is a bit of "history" behind that reg. But this isn't the time or place.

lordmonar

Quote from: PHall on July 08, 2008, 03:39:31 AM
We don't use them at Encampment, but they do get used at some of the larger air shows.

And yes there is a bit of "history" behind that reg. But this isn't the time or place.

I saw cadets driving golf carts at the March Airshow.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

PHall

Quote from: lordmonar on July 08, 2008, 04:38:02 AM

A lot of things that weren't supposed to happen, happened at the March Air Show.

mikeylikey

Quote from: PHall on July 08, 2008, 04:46:49 AM
Quote from: lordmonar on July 08, 2008, 04:38:02 AM

A lot of things that weren't supposed to happen, happened at the March Air Show.

Oh no.......someone's in trouble   >:D
What's up monkeys?

♠SARKID♠

This is just another reason that every state should make an ATV safety course mandatory.  WI recently made it required that anyone born after Jan 1, 1988 take a course.  As an WI DNR ATV instructor, I've seen some idiots come through classes that shouldn't have been given a license.  I cringe to think of how people drive ATVs without having taken a class.  I hope this cadet that was driving that ATV had taken a course, otherwise he had no business being on the vehicle in the first place.

mikeylikey

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on July 08, 2008, 11:25:55 AM
  I hope this cadet that was driving that ATV had taken a course, otherwise he had no business being on the vehicle in the first place.

No need to be on the vehicle at ANY CAP activity.  No need for the vehicle at ANY CAP activity.  We have enough trouble already getting members not to run crap over in corporate vans. 
What's up monkeys?