Main Menu

Online Masters Degree

Started by James Shaw, May 27, 2008, 06:52:17 PM

James Shaw

How applicable would the online masters through the Air University really be unless you are in the reserves or active duty military. What would the equivelent be for the civilian world. I have been researching Master's programs and like the idea of it being free but is it really useable?
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

mikeylikey

YES!  Free MastersDegree offered by AU is a huge benefit for CAP Officers of the Major or higher category.  I think you missed the window by about 1 month, but get your name on the list!  I signed up, as "Officer from another Service". 

This is a real accredited degree.  If only to say "I have a Masters Degree".  It is an achievement that less than 16 percent of our fellow citizens undertake (US DEPT of EDUCATION). 

Plus, if you are taking the DL course for CAP/PME credit, you might as well see if you can get into the Masters Program! 

I am not sure how you are set on job or anything, but people with Masters Degrees do get more Cash than their Bachelor Degree counterparts. 

Plus, just think of what your Masters Degree will be in.  It will accentuate a resume, and stand out more than say an MBA.  (But it does depend on your career field, I suppose).

Finally, a Masters is a Masters.  It is just as relevant to have this one for a civilian as it would be for AD. 
What's up monkeys?

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: mikeylikey on May 27, 2008, 07:06:47 PM
YES!  Free MastersDegree offered by AU is a huge benefit for CAP Officers of the Major or higher category.  I think you missed the window by about 1 month, but get your name on the list!  I signed up, as "Officer from another Service". 

This is a real accredited degree.  If only to say "I have a Masters Degree".  It is an achievement that less than 16 percent of our fellow citizens undertake (US DEPT of EDUCATION). 

Plus, if you are taking the DL course for CAP/PME credit, you might as well see if you can get into the Masters Program! 

I am not sure how you are set on job or anything, but people with Masters Degrees do get more Cash than their Bachelor Degree counterparts. 

Plus, just think of what your Masters Degree will be in.  It will accentuate a resume, and stand out more than say an MBA.  (But it does depend on your career field, I suppose).

Finally, a Masters is a Masters.  It is just as relevant to have this one for a civilian as it would be for AD. 

Mikey:

What is the Master's from the AU in?
Another former CAP officer

mikeylikey

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on May 27, 2008, 07:16:16 PM
Mikey:

Master of Military Operational Art and Science Degree

sign up is a snap as well.  You provide your email, if you are military they check against DEERS (if you are Major Select or been on the list, like me) they request verification from your AD/Reserve proponent.  You don't have to do anything.  Speaking to others, if you are CAP, they send an email to NHQ, and request verification.  You do have to register on their site first, and that is really simple as well.  Then you get an email back stating if you got in, if not and the reasons why.  They also send a bunch of other info if you did not get in.  I originally did not get in, resent my app, and noticed when I originally sent the app on line I selected CPT, not Major Select on the pull down list. 
What's up monkeys?

SAR-EMT1

Problem is...
To get a Masters, one must first have a Bachelors.
While I have several years towards a Bachelors, I don't have it;
and I doubt my Associates would be enough to apply.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

dwb

The ACSC Masters program isn't open to CAP yet, not to my knowledge.

I considered applying for it when it does become available.  It is a Master's degree, but not one that would be directly applicable to most civilian jobs.

Still, I found that SOS was a valuable experience, even if it doesn't directly apply to my day job.  I imagine the ACSC Masters would be the same.

SAR-EMT1

It may not be directly applicable to a civillian job, HOWEVER, a Masters in anything will increase your paycheck (as long as your job isnt certification oriented like mine)

Also, any classes from AFIADL will make good bullet points on your resume.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Trung Si Ma

Quote from: dwb on May 27, 2008, 07:49:02 PM
I considered applying for it when it does become available.  It is a Master's degree, but not one that would be directly applicable to most civilian jobs.

As the site lead for a multinational corporation, I will tell you that it is far easier to waive the concentration area of your masters than it is to get the lack of a masters waived.  We pay significantly better for a masters than we do for a baccalaureate degree.
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

mikeylikey

I always looked at degrees like this.  It is not what area you specialized in that is important, a degree is granted upon successful completion of a specific educational program.  That program is designed to give the student (and graduate) the ability to do four things;

First, is research.  That lumps together the ability to determine what information you need, and where to look for it.  Medical Doctors do not know everything about their specialty.  They do however know where and how to research and gather information that is relevant.

Second, the ability to interact with others.  Communication is a big factor in being a successfull person either in your career or having a family or even just living in your community.  Going to advanced schooling gives the student a means to learn how to accept others opinions, postulate opinions, back them up with research, know how to present them and how to accept feedback.

Third, confidence building.  Working toward something that takes years to complete is much more satisfying than having something handed down to you.  Advanced schooling gives the student that sense of accomplishment which he or she can use for other endeavors in life.  Life is not easy, and hard work does pay off.  This is a reenforcement of that principal.

Finally, advancing interests.  Everyone is interested in something.  We need to expand on our interests, or eventually they will not be very interesting to us anymore.  Education is a means to advance our interest in a particular subject or subjects.  We better our interest, and we better ourselves in the process.

Bachelor Degrees, Masters Degrees and Doctorates are considered generalized degrees.  I use again Medical Doctors.  You may get a Doctorate in Internal medicine, but you eventually specialize in another area of practice.  Same is true for all degrees.  An MBA is a generalized degree as the graduate still only has a degree in Business Administration, but that person will most likely specialize in something particular in their career, be it International Business or Logistics.

Degrees do not make the person, the degree only shows that the person is capable of finding information, communicating with others, confidently using information and has an interest in a particular generalized field. 

Now, I also have to say that advanced degrees are in no way what we should use to judge others on.  I have met many men and women who did not even graduate eighth grade, but went on to be very successfull in their communities and careers. 

If someone does have the opportunity to pursue an advanced degree......one should take that opportunity.  It is a true experience that if you have not participated in, can not really be appreciated.

What's up monkeys?

ColonelJack

And if you want to go forward to a higher degree, a Master's in anything is a prerequisite.  I'm working on my doctorate now; couldn't do it without my M.Ed.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Cecil DP

I took ACSC twenty years ago. I wonder if any of it could be credited towards the requirements for the Master's.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

mikeylikey

^ Unfortunately no.  AND to boot, if you already have a Masters Degree awarded by the military the AF will not be awarding a second Masters Degree through this program to you.  That is a real kick in the but for some folks. 
What's up monkeys?

Tubacap

Quote from: mikeylikey on May 27, 2008, 07:32:13 PM
Mikey:

sign up is a snap as well.  You provide your email, if you are military they check against DEERS (if you are Major Select or been on the list, like me) they request verification from your AD/Reserve proponent.  You don't have to do anything.  Speaking to others, if you are CAP, they send an email to NHQ, and request verification.  You do have to register on their site first, and that is really simple as well.  Then you get an email back stating if you got in, if not and the reasons why.  They also send a bunch of other info if you did not get in.  I originally did not get in, resent my app, and noticed when I originally sent the app on line I selected CPT, not Major Select on the pull down list. 

Do you know any CAP Major who has been accepted?
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

mikeylikey

^Not as of yet.  But the time frame was open for CAP Majors to enroll.  They may be out there. 
What's up monkeys?

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: mikeylikey on May 27, 2008, 07:32:13 PM
Mikey:

John Kachenmeister B.S., M.M.O.A.S. ?  Seems like a lot of letters to type!  Do you have a link?  I couldn't find it on the AU website the last time I looked, and the base education center was clueless about it.
Another former CAP officer

O-Rex

M.M.O.A.S??  I wouldn't even bother: most folks drop the initials after the novelty wears off and then only use it when or where appropriate.

I don't know what everyone else's experience is, but from folks I know, a fairly high percentage of CAP members who start ACSC or SOS don't finish their first time around, if at all.  My advice to those who plan on enrolling is to prepare to spend some serious study time-it's NOT ECI-13.  For those who have the "sticktoitiveness," resume and marketability aside, it's just a great feeling to have a real mil advanced PME in your magic bag of tricks.

Mikey: Congrats on getting in!  You have to be one of the first CAP members to enroll.  I think we'd all be interested in how it goes, particularly since the program is still in its infancy please keep us in the loop-Good luck!.

Fifinella

Hmmm.  Here's the reply I got on 14 May from AU:

Subject:    RE: ACSC Online Master's Program
Date:    Wed, 14 May 2008 15:45:16 -0500
To:   "Judy LaValley"

Ma'am,

That date has not yet been set for sister services.  Continue to
monitor our website for updates. Thanks.

Jo

DSN 493-7902/03
COMM 334-953-7902/03
FAX # 4003

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, May 14, 2008 3:23 PM
To: ACSC/DL Masters
Subject: ACSC Online Master's Program

Sir/Ma'am,

When will Civil Air Patrol officers have the
opportunity to apply for this program?

V/R,

Judy LaValley

JUDITH B. LaVALLEY, Capt, CAP
Commander, Barksdale Composite Squadron

Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

Fifinella

Quote from: mikeylikey on May 28, 2008, 12:47:02 AM
^ Unfortunately no.  AND to boot, if you already have a Masters Degree awarded by the military the AF will not be awarding a second Masters Degree through this program to you.  That is a real kick in the but for some folks. 
The website actually says one is not eligible for the program if s/he already has completed ACSC AND already has a Master's.  Read it carefully.  Already having a Master's is not, by itself, disqualifying.  (Although I don't know for certain if the military will pay for the second if they already paid for the first.)
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

sandman

While not completely online (two weeks on campus once a quarter), here is another program for some of you to consider:

Naval Postgraduate School: Center for Homeland Defense and Security

v/r

LT

BTW....You are eligible if you are in CGAUX....
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol
Major, 163rd ATKW Support, Joint Medical Command

isuhawkeye

now thats an incredible program. 

Several senior officials within my state are currently enrolled