joining a senior squadron

Started by everhopeful, May 26, 2008, 09:17:35 PM

everhopeful

Hi,

I'm new here and new to CAP and I'm thinking about joining a senior squadron in my area.  I was in touch with the commander and he said they are mostly pilots (I am not) but said he'd like me to come to a meeting to check things out.  Just wondering though, is there much for someone to do in a senior squadron of pilots who is not a pilot? 

Frenchie

Absolutely.  If you want to fly as a crewmember, you can become a scanner and/or an observer.  You can become a ground crew member.  There are numerous other support positions in which you don't have to be a pilot.

ßτε

Yes. You can become a scanner and then an observer in an aircrew. You do not need to be a pilot.
Also, there are many support roles that need to be filled in a squadron, like Public Affairs and Administration. Most can be done by non-pilots.

Cecil DP

There are a number of things a non-pilot can do. If we have a mission the pilot needs scanners and observers to assist with the search. There are also slots for communications, flight operations, in addition to the regular position in the squadron, Admin, Personnel, Finance, etc. Talk to the Commander to determine what his needs are and if you needs match.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

flyerthom

Quote from: everhopeful on May 26, 2008, 09:17:35 PM
Hi,

I'm new here and new to CAP and I'm thinking about joining a senior squadron in my area.  I was in touch with the commander and he said they are mostly pilots (I am not) but said he'd like me to come to a meeting to check things out.  Just wondering though, is there much for someone to do in a senior squadron of pilots who is not a pilot? 

Lots of things. I'm in a senior squadron and there are many non flying jobs. Senior squadrons for the most part do concentrate on missions but even then there are lots of opportunities for non left seat jobs. There are non pilot air crew jobs, communications jobs, mission base jobs, administration jobs, public affairs jobs, professional development jobs, personnel jobs, lots of stuff. Basically if you have an interest or talent it can be used.
TC

Short Field

There are no ES missions without an Incident Commander (IC). 

You don't need to be a pilot to be an IC.  My recommended route for a non-pilot on the flying side:  Mission Radio Operatior, Mission Scanner, Mission Observer, Ground Team Member Level 3, Air Operations Branch Director, Planning Section Chief, Operations Section Chief, and then IC.  If you want to go on the ground side:  Mission Radio Operator, Ground Team Member Level 3, Ground Team Leader, Ground Branch Director, Mission Scanner, Planning Section Chief, Ops Section Chief, and then IC.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Shotgun

As most people have already stated, you absolutely do NOT have to be a pilot to be a productive member of a squadron. In fact, we have several squadrons in my state that only have one or two pilots! They concentrate on ground based missions and most of the personnel are made up of first reposponders (fire fighters, paramedics, retired military, etc.).

If you have a chance, check out the Great Start pamphlet put out by CAP. It is the best publication out there for new and prospective members looking for information on what CAP is and what to do once you've actually put in your application.

It can be downloaded at:
http://level2.cap.gov/documents/BookletHighRes.pdf

(This pamphlet really helped me figure out what I could do for CAP and how to go about do it when I first joined.)

If you have any direct questions you don't want to post to the board, feel free to shoot me a Private Message. I'm more than happy to help in any way.

everhopeful

Thanks everyone for the quick replies.  That new member brochure was VERY helpful.  Thanks for sending the link.  I'll look through it more closely and then I'll be able to have a meaningful conversation with the commander when I attend my first meeting.  Thanks again!