So now we all have to buy alternate uniforms

Started by SSgt Rudin, May 14, 2008, 09:03:43 PM

Quote from: NCO forever on May 15, 2008, 06:58:47 PM
Quote from: Orion Pax on May 15, 2008, 06:56:16 PM
Quote from: NCO forever on May 15, 2008, 06:45:50 PM
I've seen plenty of cadets mistaken for being in the military and also the TPU looks similar enough to an Air Force uniform to be mistaken for an Air Force uniform so I don't see how it helps.

My personal favorite is if I'm in line picking something up quick at the grocery store on my way home and someone asking if I'm the Army.

It will still probably take people five years to figure out the army no longer uses BDU's.

The part I left out was I'm in my Blues at the time.  I hardly ever wear the BDU.  If I wear a field uniform I traditionaly wear the BBDU.   It's the running gag for anyone who knows me, I wear the woodland BDU maybe once every 5 months.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

Psicorp

Quote from: RiverAux on May 15, 2008, 02:34:28 AM
I don't care what uniform you're doing the fundraising in, but at some point you're going to be explaining that CAP is an AF auxiliary and does missions for the AF.  If you can fundraise without explaining that, you're a better person than I.  And that being the case, it shouldn't matter whether you're wearing an AF-style uniform or not. 

The question that's bugging me is why should we even want to omit or diminish what we do for the Air Force?   I realize that at times we've been the Air Force's red-headed step child, but darn it, we're still part of that family.   

How would this impact us selling wreaths for "Wreaths Across America"?   
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

RiverAux

Not sure why you quoted me -- I agree with you.  If the AF doesn't want to fund our local units for local expenses, at least we should be able to use our biggest selling point, and the greatest thing that adds to our credibility -- our association with the AF. 

Dragoon

I see both sides of this coin.  But as an additional data point, when I've seen Army units engage in fund raising (normally for some social event or a pinball machine for the dayroom), they never wear the uniform.  Mebbe custom company T shirts, but that's about it.  USAF may have a similar policy - don't wear the uniform of our country when asking for handouts.  Makes some kind of sense.

It's their uniform - their rules. 

(And yeah, I expect them to crack down on the TPUs at some point - those things look awfully air forcey.

mikeylikey

Quote from: Dragoon on May 16, 2008, 06:53:21 PM
(And yeah, I expect them to crack down on the TPUs at some point - those things look awfully air forcey.

They already did crack down.  They removed rank from the flight cap, and took away the "US" cutouts. 
What's up monkeys?

Did we ever have "US" on the collar of the TPU. 

And I thought it was an in house decision to remove the grade from the flight cap.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

RiverAux

don't wear the uniform of our country when asking for handouts.  Makes some kind of sense.

They're probably don't have to come up with their own funding to pay the electricity, phone, and sewage bills for the buildings their unit uses and probably don't need to come up with money on their own to send unit members to special events.  Apples and Oranges here. 

But, if you want to go there...how about US Marine Corps Reserve members collecting toys and money while in uniform for the Toys for Tots program? 

Quote from: RiverAux on May 16, 2008, 08:02:24 PM
don't wear the uniform of our country when asking for handouts.  Makes some kind of sense.

They're probably don't have to come up with their own funding to pay the electricity, phone, and sewage bills for the buildings their unit uses and probably don't need to come up with money on their own to send unit members to special events.  Apples and Oranges here. 

But, if you want to go there...how about US Marine Corps Reserve members collecting toys and money while in uniform for the Toys for Tots program? 

makes sense to me. 

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

Pylon

Quote from: Orion Pax on May 16, 2008, 07:23:10 PM

Yes, we had US cutouts on there at the outset.  They were later removed.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

mikeylikey

Quote from: Pylon on May 16, 2008, 08:29:45 PM
Quote from: Orion Pax on May 16, 2008, 07:23:10 PM

Yes, we had US cutouts on there at the outset.  They were later removed.

And we had rank on the flight cap, which was removed at the same time.  And we had rank on the Black Army Wind breaker and they mandated putting the CAP cutout with it.  (Plus Enlisted CAP members should wear the black enlisted army windbreaker not the Officers version, thats one oversight!)

Lets not forget the removal of the AF nameplate for a CAP specific nameplate at the same time. 

(Makes you wonder.......was Vanguard or the AF behind the changing of insignia and accouterments). 
What's up monkeys?

jpnelson82

Thanks for the 411, my Squadron has a fund-raiser this weekend. Now I won't violate the regs.  :clap: So...should us seniors just scrap the USAF style uniforms all toghether. I don't think there are many seniors I know that would complain.  :-\  IMHO the thing that fools most people is the rank insignia so unless we change to RAF style stripes instead of  USAF pips civilians will still confuse us.  I mean, what are we supposed to wear Polka-dot clown suits?
Captain Nelson, John P.
SWR-AZ-064 (senior)
SER-GA-116 (cadet)

Mitchell Award 43981
Earhart Award 10643
IACE 2000

JayT

Quote from: RiverAux on May 16, 2008, 08:02:24 PM

Apples and Oranges.

Secretly, the RAND Corporation is behind all of our uniform changes. It's part of an attempt to cancel the 2010 Election.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

SARMedTech

I see both sides of this coin.  But as an additional data point, when I've seen Army units engage in fund raising (normally for some social event or a pinball machine for the dayroom), they never wear the uniform.  Mebbe custom company T shirts, but that's about it.  USAF may have a similar policy - don't wear the uniform of our country when asking for handouts.  Makes some kind of sense.

It's their uniform - their rules. 

Does this mean that high-ranking military officers should wear "polo-shirt" variations when testifying before Congress when in comes to appropriations time. After all, what are they doing besides trying to raise funds.

"It will be a great day when the military has to hold a bake sale to buy a bomber..."
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

mikeylikey

I don't understand why Senior Members can not wear a CAP uniform when fundraising.  It makes no sense.  We are raising money for CAP, not the USAF. 

In all reality, the CAP days in DC (where members go try to get money from Congress) should only be attended by members wearing the POLO shirt.  That is the purpose of that day(s), to raise money for CAP right?  Double standard??

I am starting to see more and more instances of the AF saying "get out of our uniforms" to CAP.  The latest being the Air Show at Joint Base DIX-McGuire (thats the new name of the installation I just read in Army Times).
What's up monkeys?

jpnelson82

I um realize this is going to show how ignorant I am, but what does TPU stand for? I figure it's the corporate uniform we're talking about. The one with AF issue rank slides and the blue AF trousers with the blue nameplate. It does look very AF'ey, but what does TPU stand for?
Captain Nelson, John P.
SWR-AZ-064 (senior)
SER-GA-116 (cadet)

Mitchell Award 43981
Earhart Award 10643
IACE 2000

SSgt Rudin

Quote from: jpnelson82 on May 18, 2008, 03:25:58 AM
I um realize this is going to show how ignorant I am, but what does TPU stand for? I figure it's the corporate uniform we're talking about. The one with AF issue rank slides and the blue AF trousers with the blue nameplate. It does look very AF'ey, but what does TPU stand for?

Tony Pineda Uniform
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

CadetProgramGuy

Suppose we'd better change TPU to HWSNBN-U

He Who Shall Not Be Named - Uniform

SSgt Rudin

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on May 18, 2008, 03:36:05 AM
Suppose we'd better change TPU to HWSNBN-U

He Who Shall Not Be Named - Uniform

Too long, how about TGU for That Guy's Uniform
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

CadetProgramGuy

Sparing us from a topic drift Warning......

OK I suppose.

Quote from: mikeylikey on May 17, 2008, 09:21:27 PM
I don't understand why Senior Members can not wear a CAP uniform when fundraising.  It makes no sense.  We are raising money for CAP, not the USAF. 

In all reality, the CAP days in DC (where members go try to get money from Congress) should only be attended by members wearing the POLO shirt.  That is the purpose of that day(s), to raise money for CAP right?  Double standard??

I am starting to see more and more instances of the AF saying "get out of our uniforms" to CAP.  The latest being the Air Show at Joint Base DIX-McGuire (thats the new name of the installation I just read in Army Times).

Mikey when last I checked we were the only group helping the AF that was being allowed to wear our uniform.  Everyone else has to wear sometheing else. The only thing is we have to wear a staff tee shirt if we go.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO